Steering feels un connected upon start up

silverevo05

:
Mazda CX 5 2.0 Manual
Lately I've been feeling that the steering doesnt feel quite right. It feels like after the car has been sitting for an hour and then I turn the car on and turn the steering wheel, there is a 1 second disconnect between turning the steering wheel and the wheels turning.

Once it gets going it still feels a little heavy but there is not that disconnect. I know the steering is electronic so its odd to have this feel

What should I look for???

I want to say this is normal but I'm not in the car right now.

The power steering boost might be real high right after you start the engine.
You should check the power steering fluid level.
If you still aren't sure what's going on, imagine a firey crash when your steering fails (take it to the dealer).

There is no power steering fluid in a CX-5. The key has to be on for electric assist to work but you can manually force steer.

Mine feels similar - like there is some excessive play at times. I think I sometimes get it on a 3 point turn etc too. They make the claim on the forthcoming CX-5 that they have stiffened the steering rack mountings to improve feel so maybe the current one is on softer mountings.

Electric steering does have sensory input so its possible there is some kind of lag at start while everything comes online. I've never noticed it. Regardless, there's always a mechanical connection.

Back