This Review is for a future (no, past) self

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring
When there's a time ripple, I hope that I will see this post before I buy my new 2017 CX-5 Touring.

Here's what you will enjoy about the car compared to others of similar size and price:
  • Quiet Cabin
  • Decent Ride
  • No hesitation issues
  • Nicer interior/exterior

Here's what may give you buyer's remorse:
  • You're a family man, get something bigger like the CX-9. Those weekend drives will be so much more comfortable as your family will be further away from your immediate space. Drive in peace, man. And when you find time for yourself, your eff'ing golf clubs don't fit that well in the back because you keep too much crap back there. Again, something bigger will help. Yes, you have size envy.
  • Rear visibility sucks in these smaller SUV's. Maybe they do in larger one's too, but at least take the time to compare the two.
  • Don't get the Preferred Equipment Package. Your hair is too thin to have that sunroof open. Nobody wants to see that flopping in the wind. The power lift gate is pointless unless it's auto-open with foot motion. Finally, that Bose system is bad even with the extra speakers. They don't "break in" like some claim.

Last edited:
I agree that the Preferred Equipment Package is not needed.

Because the side view mirrors are large for the segment and there is good view out of the rear window, the visibility seems OK for me.

I like opening the sunroof to let out the summer heat when I first get in rather than make the a/c work so hard.

I rarely drive with the sunroof open.

I generally prefer bigger vehicles, but the CX-9 is a no go. Nice vehicle, but you're going to pay a lot more for the increase in space. The CX-5 AWD with Activsense fits the bill for a reasonably priced, roomy vehicle with all or most of the features I want at under 26k.

Last edited:
I got one of these organizers to hang over the back seat:

b2e75d72-79b5-49c7-adbe-648ffacf99fd_1.cf5c20aba6144e4ee8ae5e09b9859c7d.jpeg

And I got one of these to hang over the organizer in case I needed the extra capacity:

65fa4a8c-6ea5-446c-858b-6013ed9b9c8e_1.97c1528470a1a5b5c358e6ae56e291b9.jpeg

And I don't have kids!

I got one of these organizers to hang over the back seat:

b2e75d72-79b5-49c7-adbe-648ffacf99fd_1.cf5c20aba6144e4ee8ae5e09b9859c7d.jpeg

And I got one of these to hang over the organizer in case I needed the extra capacity:

65fa4a8c-6ea5-446c-858b-6013ed9b9c8e_1.97c1528470a1a5b5c358e6ae56e291b9.jpeg

And I don't have kids!

Do you have a link to this product, the one you purchased?
I was planning on buying a cargo net but I guess something like this will suit perfectly for my use-case.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a link to this product, the one you purchased?
I was planning on buying a cargo net but I guess something like this will suit perfectly for my use-case.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the pocketed organizer.

Here is the net.

I haven't used the netting yet...it's shoved in one of the organizer's pocket in case I need it to keep stuff from sloshing around. The organizer holds all the long-term use stuff like flares, hand cleaner, paper towels, spare water & snack bars, etc.

Finally, that Bose system is bad even with the extra speakers. They don't "break in" like some claim.
[/LIST]

Have you unchecked the "Bose Centerpoint" feature? I wasn't impressed with the Bose system at first, but then after removing the centerpoint option it sounds great.

DE was the "Rev up", correct?

Took me a while to find the info., but the "D" stands for dual overhead cams, and the "E" stands for electronic port fuel injection.
Nissan introduced this V6 in 2001, and is still used today.
The newer VQ35HR stands for Higher Revving.

Have you unchecked the "Bose Centerpoint" feature? I wasn't impressed with the Bose system at first, but then after removing the centerpoint option it sounds great.

Yeah, I'm still torn on the Centerpoint. I guess it's a personal experience, but IMO it sounds horrible for some music, but ok for others. I would rather have a nice stage setting and typically leave it off. Regardless of on/off, the speakers have a muddy sound. My 2002 VW Golf had a much better Bose system.

Yeah, I'm still torn on the Centerpoint. I guess it's a personal experience, but IMO it sounds horrible for some music, but ok for others. I would rather have a nice stage setting and typically leave it off. Regardless of on/off, the speakers have a muddy sound. My 2002 VW Golf had a much better Bose system.

I've said before the system really needs an equalizer at best, and a MidRange control at the very least.

To me it feels like the bass is really over-driven.

I've said before the system really needs an equalizer at best, and a MidRange control at the very least.

To me it feels like the bass is really over-driven.

I use the built-in equalizer on the music app (PowerAmp) for my phone. Decent solution for about $1, but doesn't apply to satellite radio or streaming services.

Back