Last night my wife told me...

:
19 CX-5 Signature
I LOVE MY CAR!

Some perspective, she never gave one damn what car she drove. As long as it had heated seats she was fine with it. If it only had 3 wheels she wouldnt have noticed. Her last two cars were a Nissan Altima (120k on the clock when totaled) and a Honda Accord (traded for the CX-5).

My wife cares abiut what she drives. Always wants some power and a manual transmission along with being fun to drive. But since we live in an area that can get a fair amount of snow in the winter she wanted an AWD/4WD. A year ago we started looking a Audi, BMW and some CUV's for a replacement car for her daily. I wanted and Audi or BMW xdrive so when I drive I could have some fun with it. But depreciation and repairs on them is high. We looked at Toyota, Honda, VW, Forester 2XT and CX-5. I takjer her out if the Toyota and Honda. She couldn't stand the look of the Forester and although the CX-5 was fun to drive it lacked the power.

Fast forward to November and we bought the Signature CX-5 for her new daily driver. The CX-5 turbo now has the power that was missing, fun factor, AWD, nice interior and good looks. All this to say MY WIFE LOVES HER CX-5!

Nice to see whether you're a car person or not the CX-5 satisfies!

My wife loves her 2016 GT as well and when I do drive it I am always pleased with how good it feels. Almost 4 years and 40k miles on it and now it's decision time. I can certainly keep it for another 2 years until the powertrain warranty is up but the trade in value takes another hit over 50k/5 years old. I am thinking of trading it in on either the new CX-5 Reserve (or signature) or jump to the CX-9 which is not that much more money than loaded CX-5. We don't ever need a third row but I'm leaning towards getting the CX-9 because the cargo space is so diminished when the re-did the CX-5 for 2017. It's down almost 6 cubic feet in the back from my 2016. We take a few long trips a year and load the car and a medium Thule box but if I get a new CX-5 I'm going to need a bigger top box. In my opinion Mazda kind of blew it here. The Cx-5 was already a bit less back there than some rivals and then they made it smaller? I love everything about the Gen 3 body but the ass end looks like it was chopped to short. I hope Mazda is going to bring the CX-8 here because that is the perfect size for us. Throw the turbo in there and it would be great. Just my .02...

My girlfriend enjoys driving my cx5 but isnt a fan of it. Mainly she will drive it because it can make it up my driveway where here Pilot cant. Saves her a walk.

... but the ass end looks like it was chopped to short.
I agree with this, but other brand cars are like this as well, and I can't understand why is that?
When you are looking for a CUV, you need a long hood, or more storage?

Storage is over rated and frankly tired of hearing about it. What are you fitting in a CRV that won't fit in a CX5? 4 extra bags of groceries?

The reduction in cargo space on the Gen 2 CX-5 makes no sense. It now has only 30 cubic feet ( down 5 ) from the previous version with the rear seats up. That's going the wrong direction. It will either get me into a CX-9 ( don't need the 3rd row but need the storage.) or I'll have to look at other brands. 3rd choice is keep the 2016 and hope reliability remains solid. There's more than a few bad transmission stories out there the Gen 1 product.

The reduction in cargo space on the Gen 2 CX-5 makes no sense. It now has only 30 cubic feet ( down 5 ) from the previous version with the rear seats up. That's going the wrong direction. It will either get me into a CX-9 ( don't need the 3rd row but need the storage.) or I'll have to look at other brands. 3rd choice is keep the 2016 and hope reliability remains solid. There's more than a few bad transmission stories out there the Gen 1 product.

I have 102K miles on my '15 AWD going just fine.

And again I ask... What are you fitting in the 5 extra sq ft?

I fit a rug in my CX5 that literally rubbed the dash and was wedged into the back. Cut out a couple inches and it would not have gone. $1500 rug (cheap, yes, but whatever) that I got for $54 when Erdo's went bankrupt (awesome deal, whether you like the thing or not). My CX5 came in clutch.

Really ties the livingroom together.
44106561_10100125145256301_2118652838212009984_o.jpg

Otherwise...why not just get a CX3?

Fwiw I do think the 5 runs small, and we (briefly) considered the 9 but... we don*t need any more space than the 5 has. We wanted to move from our Accord to something more versatile, awd, upscale, and above all...fun to drive. Imho we got that in spades. Of course our other vehicles are an 06 Outback wagon (dirty dog hauler) and a 17 F150 supercrew (everything else hauler) so we*re pretty much covered.

We did actually own a new version 18 CRV for 3 months. I traded it on my pickup when I realized I missed having a truck. The CRV was fine. Kinda meh but fine. Never got to see any gas/oil issues.

I'd like more space, but don't know if it would be worth the tradeoff. I carry our garbage can twice a week. I load boxes of leftover bread from a popular chain to donate for hungry people. I carry 40 or 50 lb bags of water softener salt. Barely fit 10' strips of raceway for surface mount wiring to add outlets in the garage. Suitcases to the airport. Whatever I want to carry.

Why is it difficult to imagine wanting some cargo space in a crossover?

That's about the only aspect of the CRV about which I am envious.

The big question is where did those 5 cubic feet go? Car trunks are never perfectly rectangular. Is the cargo area of the new model actually shorter? Or is the lift gate more steeply raked? Or do the wheel wells intrude more into the cargo area? How much usable space was really removed?

Here*s another question. I have a 2013 and there is no easy way to secure the lift gate if you have to haul something that prevents the gate from closing. I*ve used the little anchors for the cargo cover to lash the rope through but they are really flimsy. Has that been improved in the later generations?

yes i like to echo this question as well.
if it's mainly from the top portion of the trunk, it's really not a big deal i think.

I never stack anything up so high anyways.

The big question is where did those 5 cubic feet go? Car trunks are never perfectly rectangular. Is the cargo area of the new model actually shorter? Or is the lift gate more steeply raked? Or do the wheel wells intrude more into the cargo area? How much usable space was really removed?

The lift gate is definitely intruding more on the cargo area. The rear seats also seem to have more legroom in the newer gen as well. Whatever it is, comparing my 2013 to my mother In laws 2018 my trunk is much deeper and the roof seems to go back further.

The loss in height where the rear windshield is wont bother most. It bugs my MIL because thats where her dog rides.

Last edited:
Storage is over rated and frankly tired of hearing about it. What are you fitting in a CRV that won't fit in a CX5? 4 extra bags of groceries?

Hahaha I think this every time I hear someone say something about cargo space. If 5 cubic ft of cargo space is a deal breaker maybe you're shopping for the wrong vehicle entirely. Buy a pick up truck.

Concur. Unless they actually shortened the cargo space which would limit length of items you can fit in, it would otherwise make no difference unless you regularly pack to the roof.

Back