2017~2024 Best method for removing ice on windscreen on 2018 GT De-icer

How would a properly "remote started" vehicle be stolen any easier than a vehicle just sitting parked? It isn't like the keys are in it and can just be driven off.

Reminds me of when I would start my '75 Vega wagon (manual shift) to warm up and go back inside to finish getting ready for work.

Things went fine until one day I went out to drive to work and it was gone!!! My driveway is on an incline, and when I looked across the street, there sat my Vega in the neighbor's yard. Rolled down hill, went across the street and hopped the curb!

I looked around, no one seemed to have noticed, so I got in, bumped back down the curb and drove to work. I also stopped warming my car up that way.

I haven't had to remove ice or frost that much but when I do its usually before I've had enough coffee to remember how to do it.

The window de-icer and defogger mystify me do they work or should I just go at the ice/frost with an ice scraper and would this create scratches on glass?

From what I understand from the manual, you turn on the car, turn on the back defogger which turns on the front de-icer (does this work really?), then turn on the front defogger which blasts air at the windows and windscreen (turn temp to 84 or highest setting)

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/05030902.html

is there a better method?

any advice from more seasoned winter folk?

I use a de-icer wiper fluid in the winter, and half decent blades (even oem work fine. The Bosch envisions I bought are an upgrade, but not by much).

What's your angle here? Are you one of those people who simply enjoy telling people that they're wrong?

Ooo, looks like I hit a nerve. You seem to be unable to handle being disagreed with or contradicted, and not for the first time. Since you asked, I'll try to help you understand.

I hate misinformation. The world is awash in bulls***. That's nothing new, but it's now worse than ever. So when I come across a demonstrably false statement, big or small, I try to set the record straight. Fact checking is important. Without it, people are misinformed or mislead or fooled.

And when someone says they can "prove" a false statement, that's double trouble.

So you presented a situation where I had to correct your misinformation. And you also gave me a good reason to make the general point that claiming proof where none exists is bad. It's worth repeating.

I appreciate that you eventually corrected your misinformation thoroughly and unequivocally. You had not previously, despite your protestations. You just waffled.

You have a lot of strong opinions. So do I, as do most of us who post here. And we all think our's are the "best", don't we. We're here to share information and opinions; we're all entitled to those opinions and to express them. But we're not entitled to our own facts, nor to pass off opinions or guesses as facts.

It's the way conversations go. If you can't handle being contradicted, maybe this isn't a good venue for you. You often seem to get your panties in a twist.

In any case, you should expect to be corrected in the future when you're wrong on the facts, and your opinions disagreed with at times. Get over it.

How would a properly "remote started" vehicle be stolen any easier than a vehicle just sitting parked? It isn't like the keys are in it and can just be driven off.

You'd be surprised what the criminal moron mind can dream up. Not quite the same thing but in the same ballpark, a friend of mine had his car stolen when parked and locked. It was a remote keyless entry car with push button start, as in if you have the key on you, touch the door handle and the car unlocks. When he returned to it some hours later the car had gone and he knew he'd locked it when he went away. It was probably "key relay theft" although the morons had also broken one of the front windows as there was glass on the floor. (So why do that if the code has been captured) (crazy)It was a Ford car and this particular model was well known by the police for being stolen.

A remote start can do the same thing. The real grenade is what electric cars are gonna do to our environment, eventually, it's gonna be way worse than the gas burners.

I hope I'm dead and gone before I'm forced to drive one.

They really aren't that bad. Instant torque. What's not to like other than the ideology behind them?

They really aren't that bad. Instant torque. What's not to like other than the ideology behind them?

Hey, I didn't say they were "bad cars", of course I love the instant torque, and making one go really really really fast. They'll outrun any gas burning road car for sure, but they just don't interest me in the slightest. I'm right there with you on Tesla, btw.

People say electric cars are bad because of all the emissions produced when manufacturing the cars. Like the 'coal footprint' is supposedly larger then what an ICE would use... I don't buy it.

People say electric cars are bad because of all the emissions produced when manufacturing the cars. Like the 'coal footprint' is supposedly larger then what an ICE would use... I don't buy it.

I think battery disposal and the pollution caused by electricity generating are a big part of the "just as bad" equation.

I have not seen an honest comparison, and don't anticipate that ever happening. Hyperbole seems to always drown out facts.

Ooo, looks like I hit a nerve. You seem to be unable to handle being disagreed with or contradicted, and not for the first time. Since you asked, I'll try to help you understand.

I hate misinformation. The world is awash in bulls***. That's nothing new, but it's now worse than ever. So when I come across a demonstrably false statement, big or small, I try to set the record straight. Fact checking is important. Without it, people are misinformed or mislead or fooled.

And when someone says they can "prove" a false statement, that's double trouble.

So you presented a situation where I had to correct your misinformation. And you also gave me a good reason to make the general point that claiming proof where none exists is bad. It's worth repeating.

I appreciate that you eventually corrected your misinformation thoroughly and unequivocally. You had not previously, despite your protestations. You just waffled.

You have a lot of strong opinions. So do I, as do most of us who post here. And we all think our's are the "best", don't we. We're here to share information and opinions; we're all entitled to those opinions and to express them. But we're not entitled to our own facts, nor to pass off opinions or guesses as facts.

It's the way conversations go. If you can't handle being contradicted, maybe this isn't a good venue for you. You often seem to get your panties in a twist.

In any case, you should expect to be corrected in the future when you're wrong on the facts, and your opinions disagreed with at times. Get over it.

That's a very roundabout way of saying "Yes, I do like telling people they're wrong."

I guess I should clarify - I don't mind being told that I'm wrong, especially when provided with evidence that I am indeed wrong. I keep an open mind about most things. I just asked the question because you felt the need to wag your finger at me after I had already admitted that I was wrong. Carry on.

Just throwing a grenade into the discussion(wink) With an electric car you can set a timer for the cabin to heat up and defrost the car in time for you to drive away without all this de-icing and scraping nonsense. (Let the flaming begin)(rlaugh)

You can do that with a non-electric car, as well.

I think battery disposal and the pollution caused by electricity generating are a big part of the "just as bad" equation.

I have not seen an honest comparison, and don't anticipate that ever happening. Hyperbole seems to always drown out facts.

Yeah, there can't be an honest [or valid] comparison because there are to many variables, too many externalities, and people have too many conflicts of interest.

Ultimately, they're both "bad". The number of ICE vs electric vehicles isn't going to make much difference in the long run, or the short run.

That's a very roundabout way of saying "Yes, I do like telling people they're wrong."

I guess I should clarify - I don't mind being told that I'm wrong, especially when provided with evidence that I am indeed wrong. I keep an open mind about most things. I just asked the question because you felt the need to wag your finger at me after I had already admitted that I was wrong. Carry on.

Wrong again, Dr. Freud. Actually, it pains me. If I enjoyed it, I could spend 24 hrs a day doing it. But this was a special case. If you can get past your defensiveness, you may see that.

No need to clarify. I see where you're coming from.

You can do that with a non-electric car, as well.

Hi Unob

I don't know of any ICE car on the UK market in which you can do that. It seems to be a more convenient way of warming up an electric car as opposed to an ICE car. In the UK it's illegal to have a car with the engine running and unattended. TBH I wouldn't feel comfortable in doing that as you don't know what lowlife is watching. Anyway we won't have any choice after 2040 as there will be a ban on the sale of ICE cars in the UK then.

I leased a Chevy Volt for three years. It was a great car. Electric with a gas engine if the battery died. I could make the round trip to work on a full charge, so I never routinely bought gas (really). MPG was about 200 (Really). I changed the oil once in 50,000 miles. The only other maintenance during my ownership was a set of tires. Brakes would probably last for near the life of the car.
The car was quick enough, not a rocket, but okay. Instant torque and silent operation were cool features. My biggest gripe was that it was not that comfortable and new batteries were going to be about $10K. That's why I leased. I needed a bigger vehicle, so I moved on when the lease was up.

I read a good bit of this thread, but if I missed the preemptive strike solution, sue me. You can treat your windows with Rainex, it seems to prevent any frost from sheet formation. I believe it will only form in dots on the windshield. Another thing that is possible is to put a sheet of plastic on the windshield, held in place by magnets or shut off your car while wipers are midway on the windshield and place the plastic sheet under the wipers. I did see the mixture alcohol/water solution, Home Depot sells good empty spray bottles in the cleaning section of the store.

I leased a Chevy Volt for three years. It was a great car. Electric with a gas engine if the battery died. I could make the round trip to work on a full charge, so I never routinely bought gas (really). MPG was about 200 (Really). I changed the oil once in 50,000 miles. The only other maintenance during my ownership was a set of tires. Brakes would probably last for near the life of the car.
The car was quick enough, not a rocket, but okay. Instant torque and silent operation were cool features. My biggest gripe was that it was not that comfortable and new batteries were going to be about $10K. That's why I leased. I needed a bigger vehicle, so I moved on when the lease was up.

My buddy has a Toyota hybrid and he mentioned the high cost of battery replacement as well. Wonder when you have to replace them within the year/mileage life of the car?

My buddy has a Toyota hybrid and he mentioned the high cost of battery replacement as well. Wonder when you have to replace them within the year/mileage life of the car?

Manufacturers are now quoting 7 years 100,000 miles warranty on batteries so that means the batteries will comfortably last that long and probably longer. Tesla quote 8 years/100,000 or 120,000 miles depending on model. I presume that as battery technology improves, reliability will increase as well. The electric car industry is in it's infancy as opposed to internal combustion engines which have evolved and developed over the last 100 years.

In the present, it is matter of economics. In the case of my Volt, the battery would last about 100K miles. So now you have a seven or eight year old car with a used car value of maybe $10,000, that may need a $10,000 repair. It would be a hard sell on the used car market. Without the battery, the car is worthless. With a new battery, it has a value about the cost of the repair, so the car is worth nothing. Yes, you can buy a salvage battery or rebuilt battery for less, but I think you would still be underwater. And yes, I know cars are horrible investments, but this situation is downright ridiculous.

Yeesh...well no way I'm onboard for that s***. I'm at 87k miles now on mine. No way I have $10k in repairs coming any time soon. *knock on wood*

In the present, it is matter of economics. In the case of my Volt, the battery would last about 100K miles. So now you have a seven or eight year old car with a used car value of maybe $10,000, that may need a $10,000 repair. It would be a hard sell on the used car market. Without the battery, the car is worthless. With a new battery, it has a value about the cost of the repair, so the car is worth nothing. Yes, you can buy a salvage battery or rebuilt battery for less, but I think you would still be underwater. And yes, I know cars are horrible investments, but this situation is downright ridiculous.

I think that this is a big part of the reasoning behind Toyota extending the warranty on their batteries to 150k. They really have no reason to as there are plenty of Priuses (Prii?) out there racking up miles as vehicles-for-hire, but they're doing it anyway to reinforce the brand's strength in reliability to the consumer.

Back