302hp RAV4

I*m curious what the overall efficiency of the RAV4 prime will be when heating and cooling are factored in. Obviously different areas of the country will have varying cost of operation. I like the idea of owning an electric or hybrid car but I would first want to have an idea of the payback on the added cost for my location and amount of miles driven per year.
As long as you have an engine, a 2.5L with industry-leading 41% thermal efficiency on RAV4 Prime, you really dont have to worry about using the heating and cooling like the EV does. With current gas price $3.29 / gal. in California, itd take many years to recoup the additional cost on a normal hybrid. But plug-in hybrid is a totally different story. The electricity used to charge the PHEV is much cheaper. And PG&E in Bay Area also gives 50% off overnight to the customers if you meet certain requirements charging the EV. PHEV offers the best of both worlds. You dont need to worry about the driving range and long charging time limited by the EV, and still PHEV gives you excellent gas mileage. Gas saving on Prius Prime plug-in hybrid is real. Friends 2017 Prius Prime plug-in hybrid has only stopped at the gas station ONCE for 9 gallons of gas in his 3+ years of ownership!

As long as you have an engine, a 2.5L with industry-leading 41% thermal efficiency on RAV4 Prime, you really don*t have to worry about using the heating and cooling like the EV does. With current gas price $3.29 / gal. in California, it*d take many years to recoup the additional cost on a normal hybrid. But plug-in hybrid is a totally different story. The electricity used to charge the PHEV is much cheaper. And PG&E in Bay Area also gives 50% off overnight to the customers if you meet certain requirements charging the EV. PHEV offers the best of both worlds. You don*t need to worry about the driving range and long charging time limited by the EV, and still PHEV gives you excellent gas mileage. Gas saving on Prius Prime plug-in hybrid is real. Friend*s 2017 Prius Prime plug-in hybrid has only stopped at the gas station ONCE for 9 gallons of gas in his 3+ years of ownership!

Pure EVs might be the future but the charging network really needs to expand. These could be great in the meantime.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/31274...urs-long-supercharger-lines-over-thanksgiving

https://twitter.com/crazytoon/status/1201008019657519104?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

45K with about 5K in Federal tax rebates. I doubt Toyota will need to give any incentives besides 200-500 dollars. There will be a wait list for this.
Still 40K new is a bad deal when a lot of plug ins are available in the slightly used market if you don't need a crossover.

I have some other struggles and hurdles for EV, such as, where I park in the driveway and would have to hire an electrician to upgrade for proper charging. I am still about two years out from getting another vehicle and my #1 top car on my current list is a lightly used Porsche Macan S because it just is. :) The CX-5T is still high up on the list, but with two years still to go no telling what may be on the market. IMO - I feel like Mazda needs to improve some things on the CX-5 and hopefully they will over the next couple of years. Meanwhile, I am lurking at this forum checking out the comments - pro and con.

As long as theres no break through on battery range and charging time, an EV simply cant be a good vehicle for long road trip. PHEV is the way to go!

As long as there*s no break through on battery range and charging time, an EV simply can*t be a good vehicle for long road trip. PHEV is the way to go!

This, 100%. I will never buy a PEV, and the reason is the roads here. If I slide off the road in a snow storm, I could be there for hours. no PEV is going to handle HVAC for that long in sub-zero temps. In a PHEV, you could just chill out as long as you keep the tail-pipe clear of snow, etc.

Back