Gas cap door observation

:
CX5
When you open the gas cap door, why is there an uncut circle in the plastic to the right of the gas cap that isn't used? Wouldn't it have been a nice feature to be able to place the gas cap in a slot there while fueling? Right now, you precariously place the gas cap and hope that it doesn't fall during the fueling process. Just a thought. :)

When you open the gas cap door, why is there an uncut circle in the plastic to the right of the gas cap that isn't used? Wouldn't it have been a nice feature to be able to place the gas cap in a slot there while fueling? Right now, you precariously place the gas cap and hope that it doesn't fall during the fueling process. Just a thought. :)
That location is for AdBlue urea filler on diesel to meet US diesel emission standard. You'll see an additional smaller AdBlue cap when Mazda finally releases SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel CX-5 in summer this year.

There's a gas cap holder available and it's on the back of the gas door.

I thought the topic is for lack of spring tension on gas cap door which will flap around by the wind when we're pumping the gas! ;)

That location is for AdBlue urea filler on diesel to meet US diesel emission standard. You'll see an additional smaller AdBlue cap when Mazda finally releases SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel CX-5 in summer this year.

I thought the topic is for lack of spring tension on gas cap door which will flap around by the wind when we're pumping the gas! ;)

There is? Ooops. Never noticed it.

My gas door has never.... Flapped around....

Funny you mentioned that. A friend asked me what the heck did I put on the inside of my gas door. It was sound deadening stuff for when I drop the bass the gas door would rattle.....Well did.

I was always wondering what that spot was....thanks!

A preview of both.........

IK-x6vd2-Rh-S5-QVej-VBZR1w.jpg

2u8s0-SG4-Tl-SHMgva980ev-A.jpg

A preview of both.........

IK-x6vd2-Rh-S5-QVej-VBZR1w.jpg

2u8s0-SG4-Tl-SHMgva980ev-A.jpg
A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks Anchorman!

Since AdBlue Diesel Exhaust Fluid for SkyActiv-D diesel originally was added only to meet US diesel emission standard, I was wondering has the AdBlue also added to existing CX-5 diesels in other regions such as Europe and Australia?

And where should we put the AdBlue cap as theres no cap holder for it? ;) Wait, it seems Mazda did add a metal piece on top of the gas cap holder which looks like AdBlue DEF cap holder?

A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks Anchorman!

Since AdBlue Diesel Exhaust Fluid for SkyActiv-D diesel originally was added only to meet US diesel emission standard, I was wondering has the AdBlue also added to existing CX-5 diesels in other regions such as Europe and Australia?

And where should we put the AdBlue cap as theres no cap holder for it? ;) Wait, it seems Mazda did add a metal piece on top of the gas cap holder which looks like AdBlue DEF cap holder?

Def fluid is incredibly corrosive to paint. Id guess you just leave it hanging where it is. But any spillage needs to be washed off ASAP.

That has literally never happened to me in 6 years ownership and plenty of wind.

Def fluid is incredibly corrosive to paint. Id guess you just leave it hanging where it is. But any spillage needs to be washed off ASAP.
Didn't know AdBlue DEF is corrosive to paint. But that rounded frame on gas cap door does seem to be a place to hold AdBlue DEF filler cap.

attachment.php

2018 CX-5 Fuel & DEF Fillers_2.jpg

90% sure it won*t reach up there but I*ll investigate tomorrow. When I filled mine the other night I just hooked it inside the fuel cap strap.

Last edited:
90% sure it won*t reach up there but I*ll investigate tomorrow. When I filled mine the other night I just hooked it inside the fuel cap strap.
So the pics were from your 2019 CX-5 diesel. When did Mazda add the AdBlue to CX-5 diesel in UK as for sure gen-1 CX-5 diesels (2016 MY and prior) don't have AdBlue?

So I'm guessing the procedure would be:
Place the diesel fuel cap in it's holder on the door.
Fill tank with diesel and return nozzle to pump.
Remove AdBlue cap and place in opened diesel fuel neck to catch any possible drips.
Add AdBlue as necessary.
Return caps to original position.

Funny you mentioned that. A friend asked me what the heck did I put on the inside of my gas door. It was sound deadening stuff for when I drop the bass the gas door would rattle.....Well did.

That's pretty funny.

You know you got the bass cranked when you suddenly realize you have loose fillings that need attention

So the pics were from your 2019 CX-5 diesel. When did Mazda add the AdBlue to CX-5 diesel in UK as for sure gen-1 CX-5 diesels (2016 MY and prior) don't have AdBlue?

I had an 18 model but got offered a good deal when the GT (you*re Signature I think with the nappa leather) so now have a 19. The 18 was 175 PS with twin exhaust tips. This 19 is 184 PS but because the AdBlue tank takes up quite a bit of space under the floor, it now has a only one exhaust tip and a blanking panel in the bumper. The increase in power comes from new multi phase injectors and a new variable nozzle turbo that go with the SCR (selective catalytic reduction) or AdBlue version so the small hike in power is just a spin off. It has gone from 420 to 445 Nm or whatever that is in Ft/Lbs The production date was mid 18 but they started arriving late in the year. This photo shows the blanking plug;

35667338-C5-E6-4-A36-9551-BA72844-ADD35.jpg

Another little quirk is that because the special injectors can get condensation inside them if the engine is started for short periods, it will go into a self flushing mode where it purges the fuel in the injectors with a fast idle. It is completely cancelled when a gear is selected so it doesn*t pull at the car but it does get questioned when owners see the message;

40-A339-B3-DEAF-4-C61-B1-A6-80-EA16846-CAB.jpg

So I'm guessing the procedure would be:
Place the diesel fuel cap in it's holder on the door.
Fill tank with diesel and return nozzle to pump.
Remove AdBlue cap and place in opened diesel fuel neck to catch any possible drips.
Add AdBlue as necessary.
Return caps to original position.

It gets asked a lot and for several reasons. How long between fill ups? Well the tank level indicator is added to the scrolling trip meter and it has a maximum range of an indicated 10600 miles so a long time - you don*t need to worry about a road trip. Next, is it a dealer job to fill it up? No you can do it yourself. Although the level gauge has never shown less than 100% on mine, in its 3500 or so miles, it has had two lots of 2 litres (3.8 to a US gallon). The first was messing about and the second was while I made a short tutorial which I*ll show you in a minute (I run the U.K. CX5 owners club Facebook site). It must be one of those tanks that takes a while to show and I reckon the filler pipe takes a good litre/quart. The next question I get relates to the strange filler cap that comes on some AdBlue bottles. It is actually a valve that prevents overfilling as it automatically shuts off when full. It is supposed to stop drips as it is corrosive but mine drips a bit!

The weight of the car has gone up. I can*t remember what the tank holds but about two or three gallons I think. The tank has a level gauge, a pump, a quality tester (the car will issue warnings and then eventually go into limp mode and stop if some owner thinks they can ignore adding the fluid). As it*s water based, it checks to see if somebody has added water or diluted the AdBlue. The next item is a heater because it is obviously prone to freezing. There is a control module under our passenger seat/your drivers seat and there is an additional converter in the exhaust. Together with the filler and supply pipes and the injector in the exhaust, a tad heavier turbo, there is your additional weight on a model for model basis (it doesn*t include seat cooling fans and other toys on the GT). So! Here is that little video. You can just pour it in but it answers those questions above. I*ll also add a few PDFs to show you around the system.

https://youtu.be/il2BzyGVdj8

Attachments

• SCR Converter.pdf
    266 KB · Views: 180
  • Urea Dosing Control Unit.pdf
    180 KB · Views: 145
  • Urea Tank.pdf
    367.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Urea Injector.pdf
    229.1 KB · Views: 147
  • SCR Control.pdf
    131.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
That Ad Blue bottle drips quite a bit. If I owned a diesel I would have ppf applied to the area inside the fuel door just in case the catch rag didn't get it all.

That Ad Blue bottle drips quite a bit. If I owned a diesel I would have ppf applied to the area inside the fuel door just in case the catch rag didn't get it all.

It might depend who*s bottle you buy. That one did seem to leak a bit.

Back