Used 2016/2017 CX-9: What should I look for?

:
2017 CX9 GT AWD
I'm in the market for a used 2016 or 2017 CX-9. What should I be looking for when checking it out and taking it for a test drive?

Take it to a third party mechanic and have them do a vehicle safety inspection. Check the title to make sure it's clean. Give the interior a once over to make sure there is no wear that is outside of the ordinary. Make sure you see the car when it's clean to avoid any surprises with rock chips/pitted glass, and to see if any of the plastic trim has an premature oxidation.

Besides that, look for everything that people have complained about on these boards.

- Ask about infotainment issues and freezes. Ensure that the car has the most updated firmware (can be done by the dealer).
- Make sure there are no odd sounds. Drive it over a few speedbumps, take a couple of quick left and right turns, take it on the freeway and open it up, then find an empty back road to do some brake tests. Turn up the radio to see if there's any distortion in the speakers. If anything sounds odd, or if you have any questions, do a search on these forums to see if others have experienced what you are experiencing (if there are any issues).

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but this is everything I would do regardless of what car I was going to buy.

Yep, it seems that there are problems in some cars with the heating and cooling air dampers. I'd get the engine warm, set the temp to max cold, get as much cold air flowing out of the vents as possible, then switch to max heat, check that all the vents are now pumping out very warm air, back to max cold, check every vent again. The action of switching from full hot to full cold and back & forth might be enough to free the linkages.

As noted above, a few cars have hard-to find noises. Take that test drive suggested and find out for yourself. About the speaker distortion...the Bose system has a buzzy subwoofer. I fixed mine with some sound damping adhesive sheet material on the outside, and adding some poly fiber fill material inside the case was a lesser help. I hope Bose was not proud of the subwoofer they sold Mazda....

Last edited:
Yep, it seems that there are problems in some cars with the heating and cooling air dampers. I'd get the engine warm, set the temp to max cold, get as much cold air flowing out of the vents as possible, then switch to max heat, check that all the vents are now pumping out very warm air, back to max cold, check every vent again. The action of switching from full hot to full cold and back & forth might be enough to free the linkages.

As noted above, a few cars have hard-to find noises. Take that test drive suggested and find out for yourself. About the speaker distortion...the Bose system has a buzzy subwoofer. I fixed mine with some sound damping adhesive sheet material on the outside, and adding some poly fiber fill material inside the case was a lesser help. I hope Bose was not proud of the subwoofer they sold Mazda....

PT, would you mind sharing a pic of the sheet material installed? Just want to get an idea for how much you used.

Here's an example of the sound damping sheet material that can be stuck to the outside or inside of the subwoofer enclosure. Local shops sell this in addition to mail order sources. You can easily remove the subwoofer from the center of the spare tire. There are three flat surfaces--it comes apart to access this--and these are more important than around the sides, but do it all. You can measure the size and compare to the sheet size you're getting.
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/sound-damping/409

Every speaker pumps waves of air to the diaphragms of our ear drums. We want just the front of the speaker cone to do this air pumping (and some designs have the back of the cone involved, or a large flat panel, but let's keep this simple for now). If any other surface is creating sound waves in the air, they reach our ears out of timing or with other problems that create bad sound. We absolutely do not want the speaker enclosure to vibrate and pump out sound waves, that's exactly what the junky Bose enclosure does, and exactly what this sticky heavy material damps. Here's a good test for any speaker enclosure--put a half full glass of water on the enclosure. Play some sound. If the water shows any movement inside the glass the enclosure is not damped adequately. For a large home-type enclosure there are heavy foam & asphalt damping sheet materials* that do a great job of cleaning up the output. For small speaker enclosures, including auto speakers, this material as shown in this link do the best that can be done.

I also bought a small pillow at Goodwill to empty for some poly fiber fill to lightly stuff inside the subwoofer enclosure. Well worth $2.

*http://gr-research.com/norez24x27sheet.aspx

Last edited:
I'm looking at a used 2016 GT. It was one owner. It has 38k miles on it, so it was driven a lot. Out of warranty now. Tires look good. Few minor scratches that aren't a problem. Overall it looks good.

However, the one issue I'm having is the lack of maintenance history on the CarFax report. I realize CarFax is only as good as the businesses that input the history. It only shows one oil change at 27k miles and not at a Mazda dealership. I find it hard to believe that can be only the maintenance on it. The dealer bought it at auction and doesn't have the history. I've called around to various dealerships where it originally was sold to see if they have any history, but can't find any.

So, what are your thoughts about a car that looks good but has a spotty CarFax maintenance history?

Last edited:
Yikes, the piano black trim around the shifter is the worst I've seen so far. Call me crazy but I'd pass on it just knowing I'd have to look at that every time I get in the car, lol.

Personally, not knowing the history of a car isn't worth saving a few thousand. Peace of mind is important to me, so if I were to buy used, I'd want to know how well or how poorly it was maintained.

I'd want a third-party safety inspection done and whatever warranty you can squeeze out of the dealership, limited as it may be. The good thing is that you can use the lack of history to try to leverage a better deal.

Last edited:
Yikes, the piano black trim around the shifter is the worst I've seen so far. Call me crazy but I'd pass on it just knowing I'd have to look at that every time I get in the car, lol.

Yeah, I really don't get how it gets so scratched up everywhere in that area, especially in the sections where you'd think nothing would touch it. Are people using some type of cloth or cleaning agent that causes this? I've been seeing other used CX-9s with this issue and I'm not sure if that indicates poor maintenance or not, but it doesn't help.

Yeah, I really don't get how it gets so scratched up everywhere in that area, especially in the sections where you'd think nothing would touch it. Are people using some type of cloth or cleaning agent that causes this? I've been seeing other used CX-9s with this issue and I'm not sure if that indicates poor maintenance or not, but it doesn't help.

I'm sure it's a multitude of things.. wiping it down with a dirty cloth or using too much pressure, nails/watches/jewelry contact whenever something is put into/taken out of the cubby, etc. This looks more like someone took a dirty terry cloth rag and used it to try to rub off some stubborn caked on dirt. A plastic polish would help, but it would only be temporary as the material itself is very easy to scratch.

Honestly, Another SUV Manufacturer who is trustworthy and honest when something goes wrong - and it will. Just give it time.

Some will agree with you. But the vast majority of owners are happy with their cars and their experience with Mazda as a company.

Some will agree with you. But the vast majority of owners are happy with their cars and their experience with Mazda as a company.

It is not a question of whether or not the vast majority of owners are happy. The vast majority of owners are not the issue. The issue is what Mazda does as a manufacturer of that which it "offers" as fit for the purpose for which it was designed. The issue is whether or not I "accepted" that "offer" and whether or not legal "consideration" was put forth. That establishes a "contract" under "Common Law" that goes beyond mere "Statutory Law" and/or "Mazda Policy."

The "vast majority" of owners don't understand the differential and distinction between Statutory Law, Common Law and mere Corporate Policy. What's more, Mazda hopes you never find out the differentials between the three.

Spare you from what - The truth? Mazda should be sued in a court of law under claim of common law breach of contract.

Selfish retorts like "spare us" are the epitome of arrogance and foolhardy assumption that the same or worse will never happen to you. Normally, I would not wish this upon another - however in your "spare us" case, I wish you have to endure what I've had to endure, so that you can learn what it means to walk in a different pair of shoes for a mile or two - so you can feel what's its like. You arrogant fool. Spare us?

How you appreciate being told to "spare us" if your front bumper were decaying every @%$@ week?

I can't believe the most anal person on the planet about paint chips would buy a white car.

Spare you from what - The truth? Mazda should be sued in a court of law under claim of common law breach of contract.

Selfish retorts like "spare us" are the epitome of arrogance and foolhardy assumption that the same or worse will never happen to you. Normally, I would not wish this upon another - however in your "spare us" case, I wish you have to endure what I've had to endure, so that you can learn what it means to walk in a different pair of shoes for a mile or two - so you can feel what's its like. You arrogant fool. Spare us?

How you appreciate being told to "spare us" if your front bumper were decaying every @%$@ week?

Listen, people b**** about problems with their cars on forums like these all the time, I get it. Right now I have an issue with my brand new $45K Acura that I have been discussing with others on an Acura forum that is being denied to exist by Acura corporate. It sucks. However, your rants are beyond normal and frankly annoying. It sounds like it might be time to hire a lawyer and lay off the keyboard.

Looking at KBB, NADA and Edmunds, it appears a used 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring with 30,000 miles, in good condition, and in my area (Western Washington) has an average trade-in value of $27,500. The average asking price appears to be in the $33K to $34k range. What do you think would be a fair price?

Back