SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

TBN at 4.9 looks healthy. When new that oil was in the 7-9 range. 7.5k for sure and well in safe zone. TBN = kinda like lifespan of additive/detergent pack

Last edited:
TBN at 4.9 looks healthy. When new that oil was in the 7-9 range. 7.5k for sure and well in safe zone. TBN = kinda like lifespan of additive/detergent pack

Sweet! Yeah I plan on 7500 miles now for this change. We'll see how that one looks. They keep sending me a bazillion sample kits now.

Things are heading in the right direction. My goal is to see that flashpoint increase to above 385. Will run this oci to between 7,500 and 8,000 miles and pulling a sample. Will probably be the last sample I run as it's looking like 8k miles is a good point to stop.

OCI history is as follows:

0 - 1,169 - Factory Fill
1,169 - 10,120 - Mag1 0w20
10,120 - 19,949 - Mobil Super Syn 0w20
19,949 - 30,031 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
30,031 - 39,486 - SynPower 0w20
39,486 - 47,714 - SynPower 0w20
47,714 - Present - SynPower w/ MaxLife 0w20

2018-08-31_22.32.32.jpg

Hey guys...I captured a sample of ATF from my first drain/fill session and wasn't sure if that analysis needed TBN or not?

Just did another oil change. A little early at 6300 miles, but decided to do it as I just got back from a road trip and wanted to do it before it got to much colder.

Been doing mostly city driving lately besides the road trip. I drained a little over 4 qts, so I guess I burned through 1 qt since the last change.....(I always add 5).

I took another sample, but by mistake I maybe did not run the engine enough before collecting, so guess we'll see how bad that affects the sample.

Since the warranty it's over, I change it at 10k. At 7.5k, I add another fresh bottle, because it needs it. Costco, or Sam's Club sell a six bottle package (Mobil One 0w20) for around $26.

Since the warranty it's over, I change it at 10k. At 7.5k, I add another fresh bottle, because it needs it. Costco, or Sam's Club sell a six bottle package (Mobil One 0w20) for around $26.
Or may be you should try 5W-30 oil recommended in all other regions next time which may reduce your oil consumption.

Then I would have 18MPGs :D
I know youre joking, right? ;) But seriously using 5W-30 instead of 0W-20 the mpg reduction should be negligent. But it should help the oil consumption most of time. Based on Chris_Top_Hers experience, 5W-30 oil also significantly reduced the contamination collected in his catch can.

I know youre joking, right? ;) But seriously using 5W-30 instead of 0W-20 the mpg reduction should be negligent. But it should help the oil consumption most of time. Based on Chris_Top_Hers experience, 5W-30 oil also significantly reduced the contamination collected in his catch can.
I may try some 5w30. See how my next change goes and if I burn through a quart again.

#2 - Thought I didn't run car long enough before sampling, but looks like it was good to go. Still awaiting report for ATF sample, sent in at same time. If I continue to run 7500+ miles like they say, I will be adding a quart of makeup oil at 5k as I was down a quart when I changed the oil last. Guess we'll see if that trend continues.

RxUa8m2.jpg

Colorado, excellent results thanks for posting. The Castrol Oil I heard does a good job in keeping its weight stable during high heat.

You came a long way....now fixing your car yourself and doing oil analysis!!!

Colorado, excellent results thanks for posting. The Castrol Oil I heard does a good job in keeping its weight stable during high heat.

You came a long way....now fixing your car yourself and doing oil analysis!!!

Castrol has been treating me just fine. (thumb)

Yes! Thanks to this forum. :)

Still awaiting my transmission fluid sample report. Really looking forward to that one.

Another good report. I'm curious to see if when you push it to 7,500+ you'll start seeing the same thinning I have.

Another good report. I'm curious to see if when you push it to 7,500+ you'll start seeing the same thinning I have.
I'll let you know. Going to push this interval to 7500. Will have to add a quart though to do so around 5k from what I observed.

Back