Fumoto Valve Question

eaedstrom

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 GT
New (year-end 2018) CX-5 owner here..... Not my first Mazda, but my first Mazda SUV, and I've picked up a lot of good info on the forum.

I have used Fumoto valves on several vehicles and plan on installing a F106S (plus snap-off tubing adapter) on the CX-5. I have searched the forum but can't seem to find a definitive statement on whether the Fumoto extension is required on the 2.5L. The Fumoto website only indicates that the extension may be required. Hoping to avoid any surprises when it comes time for the first oil change...

Thanks!

New (year-end 2018) CX-5 owner here..... Not my first Mazda, but my first Mazda SUV, and I've picked up a lot of good info on the forum.

I have used Fumoto valves on several vehicles and plan on installing a F106S (plus snap-off tubing adapter) on the CX-5. I have searched the forum but can't seem to find a definitive statement on whether the Fumoto extension is required on the 2.5L. The Fumoto website only indicates that the extension may be required. Hoping to avoid any surprises when it comes time for the first oil change...

Thanks!
Just FYI the Fumoto valve will prevent a complete drain of the old oil when you do the oil change. By looking at the thread length of the Fumoto valve its longer than the drain hole thread length and will stick out above the bottom of the oil pan.

Hey guys, I came across a review on Amazon that brings up an issue with this valve. Below is the key part of the review:

A few months later, I went to replace the oil pan gasket so I drained the oil using this valve and removed the bolts around the pan. I noticed that when I tilted the pan, more oil drained even though the drain is located at the very lowest point in the pan. Then when the pan was removed, I saw why this was happening. It did not drain all of the oil. The valve extends into the pan.

The drain valve threads into the hole in the bottom of the pan, but it also extends through the hole, in my case by about 3/16". So when you open the valve, all but the last 3/16" of oil is drained, not ALL of the oil. Also, any thing heavy (carbon chips, metal chips) stays in the pan instead of draining out with the oil.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I was going to get this valve for the convenience factor, but not sure that's more important than getting all the old oil and fragments out. Your thoughts?
F-106 w/o adapter
DSC_0290-640.jpg

No, it won't. See the post above. If the memory serves me correctly, Chris_Top_Her had also found there's plenty of oil left when he took his oil pan down with a Fumoto valve.
^^^^^^^^^more looking on the internet for you experience and no-ledge (knowledge) to post my freind?
I have often wondered why some members on various forums are so quick to give advise on parts they personally never tried or physically held one and examined it?
I just ordered one for s**** and giggles so I can maybe see what its all about and if I can improve it? And more importantly actually have the product to make real world experience comments about it!

OMFG CA ..I guess I need to wear gloves to handle the part..ROLMAO
Proposition 65 Warning for California Consumers
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings

Looks like mine will arrive this week.Guaranteed delivery date: Jan. 10, 2019
Hmm I may have to do an early oil change just to try it out. The only thought is I use a DIMPLE DRAIN plug in my MAZDA oil Pan and really don't want to replace it with anything else. But I may install the new valve/drain plug add 1 quart of oil and then drain it and measure the volume?
Yes I have a technique when needed to remove all oil out of most any oil pan, so I will be able to measure exactly how much oil is left from my test.

Dimple drain Plugs...product recommendation:
https://www.drainplugmagnets.com/

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm a ways off until my first oil change - I'm only at 1K - but am planning on installing the valve, and then possibly removing it at the second change (after draining) to see how much residual oil we're really talking about. It sounds like Grendel65 will beat me to it - I'd be interested in hearing the results.

thanks for everyone's input. I'm a ways off until my first oil change - i'm only at 1k - but am planning on installing the valve, and then possibly removing it at the second change (after draining) to see how much residual oil we're really talking about. It sounds like grendel65 will beat me to it - i'd be interested in hearing the results.
pm sent

I guess you could tilt the car at a 45 degree angle to squeeze more out...(crazy)

Last edited:
No, it won't. See the post above. If the memory serves me correctly, Chris_Top_Her had also found there's plenty of oil left when he took his oil pan down with a Fumoto valve.

The oil plug is on the side of the pan so a couple of 16ths of thread extending into the pan shouldn't really affect how much comes out

The oil plug is on the side of the pan so a couple of 16ths of thread extending into the pan shouldn't really affect how much comes out

Yeah, wondered about that. I've left the car for quite a while draining oil and still come back to drip, drip, drip. Don't think you can get it all. Valve installed or not.

I normally put mine up on some Rhino ramps on front when I change mine. I like having some room to work. Sure wish I had a house that could accommodate a lift. Not enough space in garage.

I normally put mine up on some Rhino ramps on front when I change mine. I like having some room to work. Sure wish I had a house that could accommodate a lift. Not enough space in garage.

A lift would be amazing. I have a very tiny detached garage for my condo. I use ramps as well. Still trying to figure out a good spot to do my brakes as side to side I'd have no room to work in my garage, and can't do it in our parking lot.

I'm kind of envious of my uncle (out of state, sadly), they built a new house and with it a gigantic workshop and he has lifts and the whole 9 yards. Pretty sure his workshop is as big as their old house was lol.

Yeah, wondered about that. I've left the car for quite a while draining oil and still come back to drip, drip, drip. Don't think you can get it all. Valve installed or not.
actually there is something even better about that old oil dripping.....I will PM you

Inexpensive easy to use very handy and stores as easy as a couple of bicycles. QUICK JACK

A lift would be amazing. I have a very tiny detached garage for my condo. I use ramps as well. Still trying to figure out a good spot to do my brakes as side to side I'd have no room to work in my garage, and can't do it in our parking lot.

I'm kind of envious of my uncle (out of state, sadly), they built a new house and with it a gigantic workshop and he has lifts and the whole 9 yards. Pretty sure his workshop is as big as their old house was lol.

Last edited:

Good excuse for a ROAD TRIP!

I've had no leaks or issues with Fumoto vales on either Mazda - and I previously used one on the Subaru Impreza I owned for 120,000 miles. I think they're great and make the oil change simpler and cleaner, and you don't have to bother with a crush washer. I am satisfied with the amount of oil I get out each change.

I have often wondered why some members on various forums are so quick to give advise on parts they personally never tried or physically held one and examined it?
I just ordered one for s**** and giggles so I can maybe see what its all about and if I can improve it? And more importantly actually have the product to make real world experience comments about it!

well well look what I got today!

[url=https://postimg.cc/f32hypM0][/URL]

I took a file and notched the thread side that is opposite the valve handle (as I wanted the handle to be up out of the way of road hazards) so that it would minimize the restriction to oil flow on mine before I installed it.

Back