Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

Last weekend, I finally tried the AA installation myself. I have done the software upgrade with no issues. However, from the removal of the hub, it was tough.

From step one of removing the back (where passenger fan vents and controls are) I thought I might break the back cover removal, because it wasn't budging. I was able to remove it, but I think I might have bent some plastic part in the process.

The part that made me give up started with the plastic button rivets that held the cables to the cover- I had to basically cut the rivet to make it budge.
And looking at the cable connections and the parts I had to remove, it seemed it will require too much "navigation".

I had the tresalto equipment as well, and followed the youtube video. Maybe his model is the 2018 and it was minor changes, but I think for me it was too tough for me to manage myself.

I might try to get a dealership to the installation for me at this point, although I am not sure if I can just ask for the CarPlay install.

Last edited:
Just played with both Carplay and Android Auto today on my 2019 CX9.

The Carplay is simply a much better implementation. First you can use touch screen when stopped in Carplay which helps a lot on address or name entry.
Second you can sort of control carplay with the iphone. Like you can still launch Google Maps or other supported apps in the iPhone and Carplay would sync the action.
You can search places in Google Maps and start the navigation within the iphone and Carplay would reflect the same action. It's so much more convenient than Android Auto.
Only cons for the Carplay so far is its defaulted to Apple Maps.

You can't launch Google Maps on the phone once Android Auto is started. You have to navigate the UI with the knob, no touch screen. You either enter the address or name like a system in the 2004 or you rely on Google Assistant to get you the result.

At this point I'm not sure if Mazda will update the software to make the user experience better or they are done with this..

I'm seeing the retrofit announced on auto news sites for most Mazda's 2014 and up. It's $200 for parts plus labor at about 2 hours. So most dealers you're looking at around $400.

I may do it but $400 is steeper than it needs to be.

You*re probably right...steeper price! Maybe way to go is wait a bit longer once dealers are used to installing them where the actual time & labour costs would*ve been determined thereby lowering the overall price as well as competition when all other dealers can do them.

Just called my service advisor and asked him about the 20% discount and if ACP is considered an accessory and he called the parts department and informed me that ACP/AA IS considered an accessory and I would be able to use the 20% discount...nice! So should be around $324 OTD

Hello all. Have had ACP installed by the dealership ($324 OTD) and have been using it for a couple of days now. I can say I really like using Waze. It works like the app on the iPhone and you can view alerts from other users as well as report issues yourself while driving utilizing the HMI Comander knob

So far so good...thumbs up. Grab the 20% off accessories discount if your dealership offers it

Last edited:
Step one done, firmware all updated. I also ordered the trim removal tools, so I should be all ready for the install this weekend. Fingers crossed!

I was quoted $350 installed by my dealer. I don*t have the time, or confidence, to do it myself.

Seems like a good deal.

Yes that seems fair, for me, it minimized any personal anquish and ensured the warranty integrity.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
I am in ATL, GA. We have just got quoted for almost $500 to add the android auto to our CX9 signature.

Just had CarPlay installed on my 2018 Signature today. I ended up paying $348 with tax as my dealer was running a 15% off labor special for Black Friday. I haven't spent a ton of time with it, but first impressions:

1. It's so much faster than the default interface. If I plug my phone in before I start the car, I get about half a second of the nagging lawyer message screen before the CarPlay interface pops up and is responsive.

2. Google Maps, even in satellite view, is super smooth and fast. Where the default Mazda software seemed slow to re-draw the map, Google zips along even with the full satellite view. Apple Maps is equally fast although it doesn't have a satellite view.

3. I'm getting used to the idea of using Apple Maps as my everyday map program, just because the Siri interface and Nav button on the command controller only work with it. Siri seems really effective with it. It seems fine for everyday stuff. However I think Google Maps does has better traffic info and does better traffic routing...I may use that for long road trips.

4. It's still really easy to access the Mazda interface for any reason.

5. All in all, I'm super happy with it.

Just had CarPlay installed on my 2018 Signature today. I ended up paying $348 with tax as my dealer was running a 15% off labor special for Black Friday. I haven't spent a ton of time with it, but first impressions:

1. It's so much faster than the default interface. If I plug my phone in before I start the car, I get about half a second of the nagging lawyer message screen before the CarPlay interface pops up and is responsive.

2. Google Maps, even in satellite view, is super smooth and fast. Where the default Mazda software seemed slow to re-draw the map, Google zips along even with the full satellite view. Apple Maps is equally fast although it doesn't have a satellite view.

3. I'm getting used to the idea of using Apple Maps as my everyday map program, just because the Siri interface and Nav button on the command controller only work with it. Siri seems really effective with it. It seems fine for everyday stuff. However I think Google Maps does has better traffic info and does better traffic routing...I may use that for long road trips.

4. It's still really easy to access the Mazda interface for any reason.

5. All in all, I'm super happy with it.

Great summation, I'm happy with ACP as well.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I had mine installed today. I paid $400+tax. It definitely should*ve come this way from the factory. It works well. I really enjoy the functionality with Waze, my go-to nav. Very easy to add road hazards via the command button.

Amazon Music was easy to use. I didn*t think I could listen to the radio with CarPlay active, but managed to do it with Waze up once accidentally. Still not sure how.

The higher powered USB ports are awesome. I had Waze and music running and still charged up 10% in 15 minutes (my phone couldn*t do that before).

Paid 299$ +tax today for the car play and guess what ? The Cig socket is not working ! checked the fuse all good, so I think the idiot forgot to reattach the wire when they install the carplay.

There goes my weekend.

Mayday! :D

I have the car apart, the wires connected to the CMU, run to the back and plugged into the new hub. There are three connections (four with the big white plug) but only two new USB cables. The third, old green USB cable is keyed so it doesn't go into the third slot. Do I leave that slot open?

Whew. Found a video that shows the port open so I buttoned it all back up and it works great!

Last edited:
I ordered the $155 kit from Ebay and my wife is getting the oil changed and the software update today, so i'll post a walkthrough on how to install everything for anyone that needs it on a 2018 CX-9 here in the coming weeks.

Where did you have your software update? And was it for free?
Thanks

I ordered the $155 kit from Ebay and my wife is getting the oil changed and the software update today, so i'll post a walkthrough on how to install everything for anyone that needs it on a 2018 CX-9 here in the coming weeks.

Thanks for all your help.
AC/AA installed. Took me roughly 1.5 hours all in all. Postings and videos here really helped me make the process a lot easier and simpler.
I had my firmware update from mazda since it is still covered in warranty.

(drive)

Just played with both Carplay and Android Auto today on my 2019 CX9.

The Carplay is simply a much better implementation. First you can use touch screen when stopped in Carplay which helps a lot on address or name entry.
Second you can sort of control carplay with the iphone. Like you can still launch Google Maps or other supported apps in the iPhone and Carplay would sync the action.
You can search places in Google Maps and start the navigation within the iphone and Carplay would reflect the same action. It's so much more convenient than Android Auto.
Only cons for the Carplay so far is its defaulted to Apple Maps.

You can't launch Google Maps on the phone once Android Auto is started. You have to navigate the UI with the knob, no touch screen. You either enter the address or name like a system in the 2004 or you rely on Google Assistant to get you the result.

At this point I'm not sure if Mazda will update the software to make the user experience better or they are done with this..

When you say "rely on Google Assistant", I assume you mean using voice prompts? If it's like any other AA that I've used, you should be able to just say "Hey google, navigate to ...address", and it should bring up maps and start navigation. Why would you ever do anything different, unless it just can't understand the address, which I have never had happen. The whole point of AA/Carplay is/should be to be completely hands off. If you still have to fiddle with your phone then it defeats the purpose.

Back