Mazda Protege5 Engine Build

JamesPR_P5

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Alright so before anyone tells me to read over the other threads pertaining what I'm looking answers for just so you know those threads answering this question were 10 years old lol a lot of things have changed since then. I have a 2002 Protege5 and I'm buying a block and head from another Protege5 and the head is gutted and shallow so I can either go turbo with the new build or keep the build stock. I reaaaally need some suggestions/advice.

So what is the question exactly? Whether to boost or not? If so, that's up to you haha. If you want power, turbo, if you dont, dont.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

If you're starting from scratch, start with porting and polishing everything, then forged internals and turbo it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're starting from scratch, start with porting and polishing everything, then forged internals and turbo it

Alright that sounds perfect. Now another question I have. When I start from scratch should buy the parts of the MSP or should I just buy the engine parts for the stock protege5 engine and just turbo it? (I don't know much about cars so bare with me please lol)

Oops I wrote my reply in the wrong spot I'm new to this website sorry.

Alright that sounds perfect. Now another question I have. When I start from scratch should buy the parts of the MSP or should I just buy the engine parts for the stock protege5 engine and just turbo it? (I don't know much about cars so bare with me please lol)

MSP all the way if you can find one. It'll be much less expensive and easier than piecing something together.

Don't forget the ECU

You either do it properly and don't spare any expense, or you just do it for the sake of it. If you're starting from scratch, save a bit more money and get yourself some forged internals, some decent pistons and rods, maybe get the crank forged and lightened... possibilities are endless, but it all comes to $$$

mazda protege 5 and MSP internals are all the same. the entire long block is the same.

If you're going to go turbo, and you have the opportunity to upgrade you should definitely do that. Putting MSP parts into the protege 5 is literally pointless.

Get yourself some rods, bearings, pistons, and a MSP turbo kit with a FMIC not SMIC. The head is MUCH more expensive and you can get a fun little car without head work. BUT if you want to go that route; port and polish, valves/springs/retainers, custom cams, and cam gears. IF you're doing all this, you should also do a piggyback ecu like the Split Second AFC.

keep in mind, with doing this stuff your transmission will grenade and that's a whole different story. For transmission you'd be best trying to source a used PAR transmission but that's unlikely. M Factory makes a solid LSD and gears I believe. There's also a transmission brace.

Good luck!

How so?
It's a Protege wagon with Tokico blues, some Racing Beat springs & swaybars, a turbo, and an LSD....

Other than that, pretty much the same, but the MSP has some wheels and exhaust and s***.

Back