The Jeep is back in the driveway.

Lots of people like to hate on Consumer Reports because they are not an "enthusiast magazine", but I think they have their place. They actually buy their own cars and do their own tests, as opposed to publications who get cars sent to them from manufacturers for review.

The Miata fits the classic definition of what a "sports car" is. Most cars nowadays should be called performance cars instead of sport cars. For an enlightening read, check this out:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28225/sports-car-definition/

So how is the jeep's handling/feel compared to the CX-5? Is it fun to drive?

Will never buy a Jeep product every again had the Grand Cherokee Overland and it was falling apart and spent more time at the stealership than in my driveway. Got rid of it after 2 years

Will never buy a Jeep product every again had the Grand Cherokee Overland and it was falling apart and spent more time at the stealership than in my driveway. Got rid of it after 2 years

A friend of mine had also a lot issues with his Grand Cherokee around 2004/2005 was it I think-so not one of the new models under FIAT Management!?

Cheers 101

Just got back from breakfast.
3 things:
Someone said the other day it's annoying to remote start the Mazda and then have it shut off when you open the door. I remote stated mom's Jeep. Got in. Car wouldn't move out of Reverse. Wtf? Oh, I forgot...You have to put the key in. That's annoying.

Then we leave the restaurant...Doh. I forgot. You have to lock the doors, it's not automatic. I feel like I've gone back in time to ... 2012. [emoji3]

The heated steering wheel is a nice feature though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wife had a '16 cherokee a few weeks ago as a loaner while her **shudder** tuscon was in the shop (bought before i even met her i swear) - transmission was as god-awful as advertised, 100% agree about the heated steering wheel but not used often enough to impact any decision for me, ITS was pretty nice & interior well put together but not enough so over the cx-5 to deal with that shifting, drove it around just for the sake of putting miles on someone else's car but boy was i happier in my cx-5...still not as happy as i'll be when the tuscon goes but that's a story for another day

I got 300,000 miles out of a '98 Grand Cherokee, but damn if it didn't spend a lot of time at the repair shop and cost lots of $$$ to get it there.

Was happy to be rid of it and get the CX-5 :)

My jeep cherokee 4.0 went over 150K before the tranny went out. The engine was still going strong though. I couldn't get a loan for 4k to fix the jeep, but they offered me 15K for a new car. That's when I bought my protege5.

Not all jeeps are junk. Mine was near bulletproof. I didn't exactly take it easy on the thing either...I was 20 something and we have 4x4 trails all around here. There's something to be said about a body-on-frame true 4wd vehicle. They're good in a different way than something that comfortably goes around corners and gets good commuter mileage. The jeep I had did neither of those things well, but it was a great, FUN car to have.

My jeep cherokee 4.0 went over 150K before the tranny went out. The engine was still going strong though. I couldn't get a loan for 4k to fix the jeep, but they offered me 15K for a new car. That's when I bought my protege5.

Not all jeeps are junk. Mine was near bulletproof. I didn't exactly take it easy on the thing either...I was 20 something and we have 4x4 trails all around here. There's something to be said about a body-on-frame true 4wd vehicle. They're good in a different way than something that comfortably goes around corners and gets good commuter mileage. The jeep I had did neither of those things well, but it was a great, FUN car to have.

I heard the "older" 4.0 Jeep engines were bullet proof.

Lots of people like to hate on Consumer Reports because they are not an "enthusiast magazine", but I think they have their place. They actually buy their own cars and do their own tests, as opposed to publications who get cars sent to them from manufacturers for review.

The Miata fits the classic definition of what a "sports car" is. Most cars nowadays should be called performance cars instead of sport cars. For an enlightening read, check this out:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28225/sports-car-definition/

So how is the jeep's handling/feel compared to the CX-5? Is it fun to drive?
It is fun. Pretty peppy. The CX5 does feel a bit quicker and more planted in the turns but not by a huge margin. You can definitely feel the difference though. It is quite a bit heavier.
The 9 speed transmission does feel a little jerky sometimes as many people complain. I experienced it today when I really got on it. Punched it and when I let off it downshifted and kind of jerked a bit trying to figure out which gear to slow to. I doubt many soccer moms would ever notice but an aggressive driver like me will experience it. It's not awful or disconcerting...But it is strange.
It does have Sport mode which I think engages all 4 wheels as it's part of the AWD selector. I'll try that out next.
Overall I do like it. Hate the Infotainment though as I've said a million times. You can arrange the icons a little which is why I think it earns high praise from reviewers. You can change the background screen to a few different choices. That's cool. iT SOUNDS GREAT.
The backup system is nice. It doesn't have cross traffic radar which I didn't realize I'd miss.
It has that stupid chrome around the window, which I hate. And is it just me or does it not quite lineup correctly?

daff4715ae36e342df5fde5ef4310cf7.jpg

Oh, and I said there were like 5 trim levels. I double checked. There's freaking 8! Ridiculous.

Last edited:
123920b2f06632049a872d979ded218e.jpg

Chrome trim from a distance. I don't think the other side is like this...

Couple interior pics. Oh, and if you don't like the temperature blue icon in our cars? Jeep has no "warmed up" indicator or temp gauge.

a85e9616390c258c39c5a5be863dc570.jpg

Got to really stretch to reach the top right corner. Gee, that's safe, Jeep! Commander knob ftw.

c625568c03b60e457cbe9daf662cefcf.jpg

Infotainment closeup. Heated seats are a bit better then the Mazda. Heat up quicker. But no physical button for them. Some things should still be buttons.
No AA or ACP, if you're curious. Could be an option?
e90d419bbbcda05cf2d7326aa6d3a19b.jpg

Shifter and AWD selector. At least the Manual shift up and down is the right direction. That is weird on the Mazda.

Last edited:
e90d419bbbcda05cf2d7326aa6d3a19b.jpg

Shifter and AWD selector. At least the Manual shift up and down is the right direction. That is weird on the Mazda.

Huh? Did that change in the new CX-5s? That Jeep shifter is the same shift up/down direction as my CX-5.

Stealing someone else's pic for the shifter:

cache.php

Doh. No...I'm an idiot. LOL

Meh. Here I am just wondering how it merges into traffic, the real-world MPG, and how it does on wet/icy roads. All this stylistic crap couldn't matter less to me.

I think the only one that looks good is the trailhawk version. And that is marginally better.

I think the only one that looks good is the trailhawk version. And that is marginally better.

I can't stand the bird-beak like front end... and the elevated lights... blech!

But that's just me. Loved the old school Cherokees, Grand Wagoneers and CJs.

I can't stand the bird-beak like front end... and the elevated lights... blech!

But that's just me. Loved the old school Cherokees, Grand Wagoneers and CJs.

We had a TJ growing up, loved it.

I agree that I like the old school Cherokees, not a fan of the look of the new ones.

Back