Beware of prepaid maintenance packages

Why didn't you just take your Mazda to the local honest mechanic who does everything quickly, too? There's nothing different about routine maintenance such as oil changes and filters.

Do you mean to ask why did we get the prepaid plan at all? It was discounted significantly (because I said NO) but they did not tell us it is not the comprehensive plan they showed us before.
Or do you mean to ask why did we go to Oak-Tree at all after getting the plan? We assumed it is a comprehensive plan and we already paid for it. Going to the mechanic means we pay extra, especially for routine maintenance. We are a captured audience. On top of that, for warranty work we'd go to the dealership regardless.

I tell you what REALLY stinks is that some underwriters have started pulling customer's credit scores and deciding that those of poor credit are higher risk and deserve higher rates.

I have a friend who ran into hard times, and Allstate jacked up his rates solely based on his FICO drop. Being a long-term customer is meaningless.

They've been doing that for decades, and it does truly stink.

It's mostly only corporations/big companies/monopolies who don't care about the customer because they don't feel accountable.

Do you mean to ask why did we get the prepaid plan at all? It was discounted significantly (because I said NO) but they did not tell us it is not the comprehensive plan they showed us before.
Or do you mean to ask why did we go to Oak-Tree at all after getting the plan? We assumed it is a comprehensive plan and we already paid for it. Going to the mechanic means we pay extra, especially for routine maintenance. We are a captured audience. On top of that, for warranty work we'd go to the dealership regardless.

If your mechanic charges more than the dealer, even for routine maintenance, Id question how honest is he actually.

I pay less than half of what my dealer wants for simple maintenance, and a huge deal less for big repairs at the local mechanic.

Im highly inclined to believe everyone else does too, except for you, I guess.

A captured audience is your mind being lured into the traps the dealers love. No such thing, I dont care if theres only one dealer in town, theres always a better option available other than feeling captured, unless youre a prisoner, afterall.

I still don't understand your question.
It seems you say don't get the prepaid plan. Which is what I said in #1.

But if you did, would you go to another mechanic and pay them for their work (in addition for what you already paid, essentially paying twice), or would you go to the dealership and try to work with them and not pay them at the time of the service?

If you're not gullible, then why do you care if they try to sell you unneeded services. In the meantime you missed out, since $300 for lifetime oil changes is a good deal.

I meant I was not too gullible to be conned into having the extra work they were pushing on me during the "free" oil changes.

I DID get the 300$ lifetime oil change package. I'm just saying I'm glad I had the smarts not to let them con me out o money for additional unneeded work. You just have to be firm with them.

Back