Oh, The Temptation!

i12drivemyMP5

<<<<<<< >>>>>>>
Contributor
:
-- 03 P5 / 23 CX-5 --
This is so tempting to me..........................maybe not that color tho.

2019-toyota-corolla-hatch-specs-announced-reviews-are-also-in-125381_1.jpg

but the P5 still wins........for the time being.

Last edited:
Oh no please god no! Cmon theres no rust at all! Keep looking man ;)

I don't have any on the P5 either..........................I do have a "J" VIN on it and the RAV4 SE we bought last year. These probably have a 5 or 2 or 3 tho...who knows.

its cool until after a few years when every other car on the road is a corolla hatchback... then it's boring! One of the things I love about the P5 is that they only made them for 2-3 years and they are relatively rare.

They are nice cars... All the Toyota's are pretty nice cars... until you drive them for a bit. Then the cheapness of the build quality really begins to shine. Squeaks, rattles, rock hard suspension, ROAD NOISE. Toyota seems to have forgotten what jute or other types of insulation are for. They also seem to have forgotten what things like screws are for. If you take a 2000 Camry interior apart, you'll find that the dash has about a thousand screws, thick carpeting, lots of insulation under that carpeting. That leads to a long lasting car that rides nice, smooth, and quiet. Compare that to a brand new one, you can take pretty much the entire dash apart without any tools at all. It clicks together like legos. The carpet is paper thin, insulation is non-existent. I can't say for the longevity (because they're brand new), but I know the ride quality sucks, they're louder than my 16 year old mazda in terms of road noise.

Test drive a new camry, then test drive a new Fusion or a Malibu. You'd never give a second look at the camry...

I say this coming from being a Toyota fan of many, many years. My Sequoia is older, but one of the best vehicles i've ever owned. I've had corolla's, 4runner, highlander as well. All nice cars. Their new ones just don't have the same feel and build quality they did 10-15 years ago. I'm not anti-toyota by any means at all. I just think their build quality "feels" cheap, their interior electronics are dated, their engine technology is well behind the curve... toyota has some catching up to do. I rented a brand new Chevy suburban last week and averaged 24mpg. Had the "Drunk driver assist", heated steering wheel, android auto/carplay, HVAC seats, blind spot warning, etc etc etc. Compare that to a new Sequoia that costs just as much, doesn't have near the features and you're lucky to get 16mpg out of it.

Toyota has some catching up to do in the marketplace.

Last edited:
They are nice cars... All the Toyota's are pretty nice cars... until you drive them for a bit. Then the cheapness of the build quality really begins to shine. Squeaks, rattles, rock hard suspension, ROAD NOISE. Toyota seems to have forgotten what jute or other types of insulation are for. They also seem to have forgotten what things like screws are for. If you take a 2000 Camry interior apart, you'll find that the dash has about a thousand screws, thick carpeting, lots of insulation under that carpeting. That leads to a long lasting car that rides nice, smooth, and quiet. Compare that to a brand new one, you can take pretty much the entire dash apart without any tools at all. It clicks together like legos. The carpet is paper thin, insulation is non-existent. I can't say for the longevity (because they're brand new), but I know the ride quality sucks, they're louder than my 16 year old mazda in terms of road noise.

Test drive a new camry, then test drive a new Fusion or a Malibu. You'd never give a second look at the camry...

I say this coming from being a Toyota fan of many, many years. My Sequoia is older, but one of the best vehicles i've ever owned. I've had corolla's, 4runner, highlander as well. All nice cars. Their new ones just don't have the same feel and build quality they did 10-15 years ago. I'm not anti-toyota by any means at all. I just think their build quality "feels" cheap, their interior electronics are dated, their engine technology is well behind the curve... toyota has some catching up to do. I rented a brand new Chevy suburban last week and averaged 24mpg. Had the "Drunk driver assist", heated steering wheel, android auto/carplay, HVAC seats, blind spot warning, etc etc etc. Compare that to a new Sequoia that costs just as much, doesn't have near the features and you're lucky to get 16mpg out of it.

Toyota has some catching up to do in the marketplace.

My mom has an 03 Sequoia with 250k miles on it and the car still drives and feels amazing. I've been saying for a while the new SUVs are way overpriced for what you get

My mom has an 03 Sequoia with 250k miles on it and the car still drives and feels amazing. I've been saying for a while the new SUVs are way overpriced for what you get

Mine is an 02 limited with 186k. I've replaced the yaw rate sensor, o2 sensor, and a coil since i've owned it in the past 8 or 9 years, and I believe that's it (aside from regular maintenance, of course). In 2004 or 2005 (Can't recall off the top of my head at the moment) they added the VVT-i and additional emissions stuff to the 4.7 v8, and changed the transmission. The new transmission isn't as smooth as the old one. The VVT-i stuff is fine, but I think it lowered fuel economy some. The emissions stuff is where i've got the problem. They have air injection pumps, and some valves at the rear of the motor that are a PITA to get to. The air injection pumps are problematic because they're located in the valley under the intake where there's a ton of heat. every single one of them WILL fail, if they haven't already. The excess heat makes the foam they used to seal it deteriorate and it falls apart, and gets all clogged up in the valves in the back of the motor. the entire thing has to be changed. There was a TSB for it years back, around a $2500-$3k repair.

The 2000-2004 Tundra/Sequoia with the 4.7 v8 are among the best trucks Toyota has ever made. Right up there with the 3.4L V6 in the Tacoma/T100/4Runner.

I did say tempting......not moving on a payment NOR will I be "giving" my P5 away and eating all the time, money, parts and sentimental deserved respect it has earned....much less all the extra stuff I have for it. Fully aware of where Toyota came from, was and is at current with cons that ALL brands and models suffer from..........my other vehicles are 2008 Tacoma and 2018 RAV4 SE...........been driving different ones since mid 70s. P5 not being replaced.

As a former Toyota fanboy, I would have a Matrix today instead of the P5 had the Matrix had better proportions in its first gen. I couldn't see myself driving the very-upright Matrix and then stumbled across the sporty P5 and bought it right away. Later-gen Matrixes looked much better and this new Corolla hatch looks really nice.

Back