Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

OP did a good thing by test driving and then deciding not to buy. I read a post on some forum when the person bought and was disappointed by features he could have figured out by test driving out or just sitting inside the car.

Posting such a long diatribe in an enthusiast forum isn't a good idea :))

Actually, it is. SOme people are just so insular that they won't benefit from it. However, all the people who cruise this site lurking WILL benefit from it. I cruise a bunch of sites without ever posting, just reading.

Why not? Ford is financially positioned to make them, and the Koreans and Germans already have PEV UVs in America for sale.

Isn't that what we have been asking for years in relation to the big domestic 3 and why we are discussing this on a forum based on an Asian car manufacturer? My title is Senior Designer in one of the largest engineering companies in the world, but designers and engineers are often told to tone it down because someone above attempting to please stock holders thinks otherwise. America has the intellect and creativity to dominate in just about every facet of living. Yet the Big 3 did not respond to reliability and fuel efficiency when Toyota, Honda and Datsun entered our market in the 70's. The Big 3 were reluctant to improve the appearance of exterior body style and trims and the interiors were just as bad and outdated.

The reason this premiere of the Mustang Mach E caught my attention were in the details and not just a superficial skimming over. As I was listening to the details in the premiere it certainly seemed like Ford was presenting some things closer to what Tesla has already presented and the Germans and Asians have not. Ford, Chevy or Dodge could have easily done what Telsa did. This release from Ford is not just eye candy. It has some nice new concepts in there that is not back of pack copying (some of it is just matching Tesla) and trying to keep up. I guess I was just more impressed by the details of this Ford, whereas, nothing that Ford has done since the 70's has really caught my attention.

Disclaimer: This is an opinion response and I make no claim to be correct on any of these observations.

I*m sorry Christopher, I don*t talk 11 year old but I*ve deciphered what you mean. In fact in subsequent posts he*s qualified what was actually quite a misleading post and I quite happy with its meaning. Frankly I don*t give a monkeys what anyone says about the car, I*m satisfied that I made the right choice although there are several things I*d change, none are to do with the OP post.

I'm the OP, and nothing about my post was misleading. If you "don't give a monkeys what anyone says about the car" then why are you on this forum? Why don't you just sit in front of a mirror and tell yourself how fantastic you are? I keep forgetting that in the World of Trump any discussion that someone doesn't agree with is to be denigrated.

I'm the OP, and nothing about my post was misleading. If you "don't give a monkeys what anyone says about the car" then why are you on this forum? Why don't you just sit in front of a mirror and tell yourself how fantastic you are? I keep forgetting that in the World of Trump any discussion that someone doesn't agree with is to be denigrated.

Lol. Quite a few people have attempted to point out why your OP may have been considered misleading or confusing, myself included. Oh well.

You might want to hold off on your purchase, if you can. Toyota just announced the 2021 RAV4 Prime, available in Summer 2020. It's a PHEV with a combined 302 hp that is projected by Toyota to have a 0-60 of 5.8s. Runs on regular gas, and is advertised to get 90 mpg. It's also supposed to get "sport-tuned suspension", but they didn't go into detail on it in the article.

When it debuts, it's going to take a huge chunk of CX-5 sales away. If Mazda doesn't release something to compete, the brand is going to tank.

Lol. Quite a few people have attempted to point out why your OP may have been considered misleading or confusing, myself included. Oh well.

You might want to hold off on your purchase, if you can. Toyota just announced the 2021 RAV4 Prime, available in Summer 2020. It's a PHEV with a combined 302 hp that is projected by Toyota to have a 0-60 of 5.8s. Runs on regular gas, and is advertised to get 90 mpg. It's also supposed to get "sport-tuned suspension", but they didn't go into detail on it in the article.

When it debuts, it's going to take a huge chunk of CX-5 sales away. If Mazda doesn't release something to compete, the brand is going to tank.

I don't like the PEV part though. The Tiguan Type R is more appealing due to that aspect.

Yes I agree that Mazda is going to have to do something greener with the CX-5 at some point, but I'm not sure that they have to worry about the upcoming Rav4 PHEV. It's likely going to be far more expensive, and there's no reason to believe it will be attractive to people who love the looks and design of the CX-5. A couple of easy upgrades for the CX-5 would be a more advanced transmission, as 8 or 9 speeds would improve fuel economy even with the current engines, and possibly go hybrid. And of course bring the infotainment into 2020.

Well if that Prime is gonna be a 50k car then probably not really?

But isn't the Tiguan Type R the current model with the anemic turbo?

Quite the opposite. VW is getting hammered on the current 2.0. It has a lesser quality turbo than the GTI / Golf R and has been detuned.
The Tiguan R is VW's response to those wanting more performance. Which massive Kudos to VW for responding to those wanting more zip. It will exceed the CX-5T and it is already being tested on the NRBURGRING https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Y3SmyP1qw

At the moment APR is working on an ECU tune for the American version and APR already has a ECU tune available for ROW. That tune will bring the current version up to match or exceed the CX-5 for those disappointed Tiguan owners that desire more performance. There is a current R Line that is nothing more than appearance dressings. Maybe you are thinking about that one.

Quite the opposite. VW is getting hammered on the current 2.0. It has a lesser quality turbo than the GTI / Golf R and has been detuned.
The Tiguan R is VW's response to those wanting more performance. Which massive Kudos to VW for responding to those wanting more zip. It will exceed the CX-5T and it is already being tested on the NRBURGRING https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Y3SmyP1qw

At the moment APR is working on an ECU tune for the American version and APR already has a ECU tune available for ROW. That tune will bring the current version up to match or exceed the CX-5 for those disappointed Tiguan owners that desire more performance. There is a current R Line that is nothing more than appearance dressings. Maybe you are thinking about that one.

Yes, the R Line is what I thought was being mentioned. So you're saying that the Tiguans being sold now will be able to be upgraded to more power?

Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

302 hp、 0-60 5.8 seconds、90 MPGe、sport-tuned suspension、available in summer 2020? This 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) is a real thing and very impressive!

Toyota Prius Prime plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) is only available in a few states in the US such as California. But Prius Prime is nowhere close to a performance vehicle. Hopefully Toyota will make this RAV4 Prime available in much more areas than Prius Prime.

Gas saving on Prius Prime plug-in hybrid is real. Friends 2017 Prius Prime plug-in hybrid has only stopped at the gas station ONCE for 9 gallons in his ownership of 3+ years!

Yes, the R Line is what I thought was being mentioned. So you're saying that the Tiguans being sold now will be able to be upgraded to more power?

Yes, APR rep in Alabama has a current Tiguan and recently said that it could be released this December. I can't find the forum discussion now with the APR rep stating this.
Here is the APR info, but I don't think these are ready for the America. https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb.html

The Mazda infotainment is far from the worst out there. Try using Lexus' Remote Touch. Mazda's voice commands for the factory nav are more accurate than those of Lexus, as well...

I know a lot of people s*** on Lexus for their remote touch interface. Once you get used to it and dial in the speed, it's quite intuitive. I would say more so than my wife's CX-5. It's available almost instantaneously upon startup, which I can not say about Mazda.

I test drove a new Rav4. Actually I rented one for the weekend and put about 500 miles on it. Hated it, my daughter hated it. Found it to be very uncomfortable, loud, gutless, and expensive. I really had my eyes on a maxed out hybrid with a pano roof at well over 40k. Point is to each his or her own. One thing I did not do is go on the Rav4 forums and whine.

You just did though, lol. As one that is reviewing various options, I am going on multiple sites to see/read how current owners feel about their cars. It is very informative and entertaining...especially the comments from those that get butt-hurt whenever a poster points out shortcomings or questions the car/vehicle in question. BTW...every car or vehicle has faults..the trick is to find the car that has ones you can live with. Personally, I take the good and bad comments and simply apply it to my experience. Its simply part of the learning process that Ill do before I go to a dealership.

But isn't the Tiguan Type R the current model with the anemic turbo?

I'm not sure, but the audi Rs3 shared engines with the Golf R for quite some time, and I see no reason more crosspollination wouldnt occur... footage of it on the 'Ring is beast.

Yes, 300hp is the number I've seen mentioned. Dct+300hp and good torque will be pretty slick.

Yes, 300hp is the number I've seen mentioned. Dct+300hp and good torque will be pretty slick.

What is not known on some of these German variants in testing may make it to the market and some don't make it to the US. :( bummer
I hope it does just to give us some more options to consider.

Another nice new release from the old Big 3 is the new mid engine Corvette. It has a lot of features and materials of high end European cars and at a very good price point. So while it maybe not innovative in terms of a DCT or mid engine or other things, it comes to the market at a price that a regular guy like us can potentially afford. It performs pretty good from what I have seen so far. Based on this discussion this morning I am happy to see the Big 3 showing some vigor. I was listening to the Jay Leno video with Executive Chief Engineer. So it is what you said earlier. They have creative and intelligent teams at the Big 3, but they just need to let them do what they do and it could get really exciting. To me, as a designer, I was most interested to get some insight of how and why they did this radical change to a classic car. I love the lineage of the Vette and yet I can totally accept this new edition.

Last edited:
Well if that Prime is gonna be a 50k car then probably not really?

Lol, I don't think the Prime trim would be $50k. 2020 RAV4 Limited AWD has an MSRP of about $31,000. 2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited AWD has an MSRP of $32,100. I would guess that Prime trim would add something like $5k to the price, and I'm being generous.

The 2019 CX-5 Signature has an MSRP of about $32,500. If I were still in the market, the announcement of the RAV4 Prime would keep me from buying the CX-5 Signature right now. I'd need to drive them back-to-back to decide whether the extra $5k (or whatever it may be) is worth it to me.

Back