Potential 2020 CX-5 Spotted in Mazda Hofu

why would people living in urban areas care more about mpg?...they should be driving less. Personally, I live in a rural area, but only drive 8-10k miles a year. MPG is meaningless to me. A 10 MPG difference would save me $200 a year..give me the turbo all day long.

I agree. Hope Im never forced to drive a hybrid. Give me the turbo and a gas burner forever, please. Same goes for this self parking and driving stuff. I hope Im dead and gone before that stuff is allowed to take over.

Basically the same. No changes to hud, minor graphics changes to nav.

In the video posted, it seems top be the updated hud in the 2019/2020 Mazda 3.

Commercial however is listed as 2018.

Last edited:
More like a 20 MPG difference between the Turbo and the Hybrid. You*re essentially getting twice as much distance in one tank by getting the Hybrid over the Turbo. And the city driving matters because Hybrids offer better fuel economy when driving in the city vs highway. That and both of these vehicles have larger interiors and the RAV doesn*t use a Turbo which will likely result in better long term reliability.

The RAV4 Hybrid's MPG rating is impressive, but has anyone seen real world results yet?

I'm at 26.4 for just under 22K miles so far, including plenty of hooning around, in my turbo, so take that with a grain of salt.

Agreed. I get 24 MPG in my CX-9, so I would expect the lighter CX-5 to do better than that!

I'm at 26.4 for just under 22K miles so far, including plenty of hooning around, in my turbo, so take that with a grain of salt.

Yep, Motorweek's longterm RAV4 Hybrid is seeing 39.7 mpg over the course of 7,000 summer miles. A 13-14 mpg advantage isn't enough to compensate for the uninspiring driving experience in the RAV4.

Yep, Motorweek's longterm RAV4 Hybrid is seeing 39.7 mpg over the course of 7,000 summer miles. A 13-14 mpg advantage isn't enough to compensate for the uninspiring driving experience in the RAV4.

That's $4.600 over 5 years in my case (18,000/year @ $4.00). But, gas mileage and handling isn't the whole story either.

That's $4.600 over 5 years in my case (18,000/year @ $4.00). But, gas mileage and handling isn't the whole story either.

And California is somewhat of an outlier. I live in MA, which is usually pretty pricy, but my local Mobil is only 2.59 for regular. California is a huge market though, so you can ignore it. Even in MA, I am considering the Rav4 hybrid for my next purchase. I am interested in the plugin model thats coming out next year. My wife uses our Mazda right now for a lot of very short trips to the commuter train station and it would be cool not to have to put wear and tare on a combustion engine to do that. But we also have relatively high power costs here, so I will need to do the math once its released.

I would have to say I don't think people are cross shopping the CX-5 GTR / Sig with the RAV4. There really is no comparison performance wise. The CX-5 turbo buyers aren't looking for fuel economy. As others have said, for some reason CA gouges on gas when other states remain quite reasonable. I paid $2.16/gal for 87 the last time I filled up.

I would have to say I don't think people are cross shopping the CX-5 GTR / Sig with the RAV4. There really is no comparison performance wise. The CX-5 turbo buyers aren't looking for fuel economy. As others have said, for some reason CA gouges on gas when other states remain quite reasonable. I paid $2.16/gal for 87 the last time I filled up.

I*m cross shopping the two. With all of the crossovers in this class being a bum in at least one of the popular buying factors (CX-5 in cargo, RAV4 in driving experience, etc.), I think a lot of shoppers like myself end up struggling to decide where they want to compromise. It*s really a shame that companies struggle so hard to make a car that checks all the boxes as we near 2020.

Last edited:
I'm always checking Autotrader even now a few months after buying. The only other thing I'd consider would be a used Lexus RX or Toyota Highlander (the Rav4 feels incredibly cheap), but it's a used car with some amount of wear, without any modern safety features and with questionable performance on tough tests like the small overlap test. The new ones have that, but my payment would be twice what it is now.

I*m cross shopping the two. With all of the crossovers in this class being a bum in at least one of the popular buying factors (CX-5 in cargo, RAV4 in driving experience, etc.), I think a lot of shoppers like myself end up struggling to decide where they want to compromise. It*s really a shame that companies struggle so hard to make a car that checks all the boxes as we near 2020.

Yep, they all have some sort of weakness. Even the luxury one's come up weak in some fashion. I'm hopeful for the CR-V hybrid, because the Accord hybrid is so good, but even there, it will have the old infotainment system, not the good one in the Accord (assuming that based on the pictures).

Actually the worst part is apparently the road and wind noise.

Actually the worst part is apparently the road and wind noise.

Supposedly the 2020 gets a hood blanket to help with engine noise. Anyway I will be in the market for a new car next Nov and I really hope Mazda gives the CX-5 a refresh if they don't ill likely get a RAV4 Hybrid. I don't really see how they can afford to not give it a refresh considering the RAV4/CRV Hybrids are going to make a dent in their sales figures.

Supposedly the 2020 gets a hood blanket to help with engine noise. Anyway I will be in the market for a new car next Nov and I really hope Mazda gives the CX-5 a refresh if they don't ill likely get a RAV4 Hybrid. I don't really see how they can afford to not give it a refresh considering the RAV4/CRV Hybrids are going to make a dent in their sales figures.

I wouldn't be surprised to see minimal changes next year with a new model in 2021. The CX-5 already makes up 40% of Mazda's sales in the U.S., it is by far their most successful product. In reference to the list of minor changes posted earlier, that is a lot of minor changes to make for a 1 year run.

I wouldn't be surprised to see minimal changes next year with a new model in 2021. The CX-5 already makes up 40% of Mazda's sales in the U.S., it is by far their most successful product. In reference to the list of minor changes posted earlier, that is a lot of minor changes to make for a 1 year run.

Actually the CX-5 is 55% of all US sales. The most important product they have. On a side note, even though they sold less cars, they made more money is the last quarter. That is a good sign and one that suggest their plan might be working.

The CX-3, CX-5 and CX-9 are doing OK. They need more of these, which they are doing.

Yes, I saw that about the hood blanket. But from everything I've read that still doesn't help with the wind and tire noise at highway speed, which is apparently substantial. Is a 2 decibel difference between the Rav4 and the CX-5 substantial?

Yes, I saw that about the hood blanket. But from everything I've read that still doesn't help with the wind and tire noise at highway speed, which is apparently substantial. Is a 2 decibel difference between the Rav4 and the CX-5 substantial?

Wait, are you claiming that the Rav4 is quieter than the CX-5? All the reviews I've read on the new Rav4, bash it for how noisy it is. The CX-5, with its dual-pane windows, is one of the quietest out there.

Back