Unknown brand of oil at dealer

+1. Castrol should be the standard dealer oil unless the owner upgrades to MAZDA hi-moly oil. I do my own oil changes but, notice my dealer has a Castrol bulk tank in the service dept. Ed

so assuming dealer has mazda idemitsu apart from the bulk castrol barrels, does mazda oil always come in bottles if you opt for it? does anybody know?

I personally know that he did not. :)
I would post the name of the SERCIVE MANAGER vs service writer which is most likely who he talked to but will let him post the information. ;)
See I do check my facts about things I am not sure are accurate before I post something on forums.

Really I think you should look at some of your responses and as a moderator? ;)
Really I was very entertained by your "explosion" last week on another thread. Hey I chalked it up to "IT IS YOUR PERSONALITY" I am sure had it been me instead of you responding in that fashion I may have gotten a "TIME OUT" from a moderator?
And your response is what is called an opinion. My responses are my personality get it!
Don't worry I have been talking with Mr Tony(playfully said ha!) ... the owner of this forum :)

Do you just do this kind of posting for fun...CHECK YOUR FACTS.....
Also you really need to learn about motor oil a little more..geeeez! the info you post on this forum I keep reading wow! Fun stuff! hehehehehe!

Do what you need to do, I don't condescend individuals with my opinion/facts in the way you are in your post(s).

My dealer started with Castrol, went to Valvoline, and now they don't state the brand on their service orders. I just know the engine made a lot more racket in cold weather with their stuff in.

Dealers use the cheapest bulk oil they can find and car manufactures normally have no power to assure their dealers to use recommended oil. I wouldn't be thrilled if the Flamingo 0W-20 synthetic oil is used in my CX-5 because you never know the long-term effect from it.

Be aware there*re reports by CX-9 owners that Mazda dealers use 5W-30 conventional oil as it*s widely available, or 0W-20 synthetic bulk oil for their vehicle. 2019 turbo CX-5 owners be aware!

My Mazda dealer uses "Preferred Choice"(eek2) or bulk Castrol 0W-20 synthetic oil for standard oil change on 2.5L. It*s only $10 more to use Mazda moly oil.

Town%252520North%252520Mazda%252520Oil-01_20151215.jpg

I remember the dealer I worked at years ago had barrels of Ring-Free in the back. Never even heard of that brand before I worked there. A friend of mine that was service manager at the local GM dealer said they would cycle through whatever deal was best at the time, included a lot of no-brands, but yeah, they try to keep their overhead down.

My dealer started with Castrol, went to Valvoline, and now they don't state the brand on their service orders. I just know the engine made a lot more racket in cold weather with their stuff in.

Really! This is so far bad information you should try to read a little and understand what motor oil does. And also the responsibility and liabilities that USA dealerships have. If you dont know what was used in your motor oil service directly ask the dealership, they will put what OIL was used in you engine on the invoice if you request it. And if you think other wise provide which dealership refused to do so and post the information I will personally contact them show them this thread your response and ask for an explanation why they did not provide requested information. Really stop trying to make like DEALERSHIPS are ripping people off or hiding important information concerning the service work they do! . Every state in the USA has laws that prevents this from happening. If you feel other wise contact your local BBB or get a lawyer and start a suit against the DEALERSHIP and post up how that works out for you. Other wise really stop posting unsubstantiated BS!

Last edited:
so assuming dealer has mazda idemitsu apart from the bulk castrol barrels, does mazda oil always come in bottles if you opt for it? does anybody know?
Yes, Mazda moly oil comes only in 1-quart bottles.

I dont know about mazda dealers, but others like ford or chrysler or VW ones list on the payment receipt a code or part.no for the oil along with the quantity (if its brand name, even for bulk) and you can reference it. Thats if the really put what it says on the receipt. Same for part no. for oil filter.
Isnt it the same with Mazda dealers?
At least my Mazda dealer lists part numbers on oil with quantity and OEM oil filter on the invoice.

Yes, Mazda moly oil comes only in 1-quart bottles.
Wrong! For retail sales it comes in a retail container in quart capacities. but for commercial use it comes in larger containers and quantities. Call and ask for any Commercial sales manager and or the service manager of MAZDA dealership and they will explain it to you.
When you look stuff up on the internet try a more thorough research and verify your information before you post with such confidence?
At least my Mazda dealer lists part numbers on oil with quantity and OEM oil filter on the invoice.
Well good for you, I expected you are the exception to most things having to do with any subbject on this forum. ;)

I generally hate to ask on open forum but what exactly did or do you do for a living? ...LOL
If you are wondering about me PM the owner of this forum.. ;)

Last edited:
Wrong! For retail sales it comes in a retail container in quart capacities. but for commercial use it comes in larger containers and quantities. Call and ask for any Commercial sales manager and or the service manager of MAZDA dealership and they will explain it to you.
When you look stuff up on the internet try a more thorough research and verify your information before you post with such confidence?

Well good for you, I expected you are the exception to most things having to do with any subbject on this forum. ;)

I generally hate to ask on open forum but what exactly did or do you do for a living? ...LOL
If you are wondering about me PM the owner of this forum.. ;)

This is the second person you have asked about their source of income. Why?

Also, FWIW, my Mazda dealer uses the 1 quart retail looking containers were I to buy the Moly oil. I don't, but I did inquire once and they showed me the containers.

For retail sales it comes in a retail container in quart capacities. but for commercial use it comes in larger containers and quantities.
I understand there's a 50-gallon drum Mazda moly 0w-20 oil (Part No. 0000-G5-0W20-MD), but due to the high price (MSRP $1,716.51) no Mazda dealers would get it for oil change or make it available for sale to customers.

I understand there's a 50-gallon drum Mazda moly 0w-20 oil (Part No. 0000-G5-0W20-MD), but due to the high price (MSRP $1,716.51) no Mazda dealers would get it for oil change or make it available for sale to customers.

Exactly. People do not often use it compared to the Castrol, which is Mazda endorsed and works just fine.

This is the second person you have asked about their source of income. Why?

Also, FWIW, my Mazda dealer uses the 1 quart retail looking containers were I to buy the Moly oil. I don't, but I did inquire once and they showed me the containers.
First MOLY ... it is simply one of the additives "Molybdenum" in the oil in which many motor oil have not only MAZDA.
The dealership specifically the service department can use either the retail quart containers or more typically a large tank or drum of bulk oil. This has to do with many things , cost,disposal, recycle, etc. A dealership is NOT likely to use any motor OIL that does not meet the engine motor oil recommendation and or requirements. I might add anyone would be hard pressed to find any actual claim of engine damage caused by a dealership using the incorrect motor oil.

As for the other question/comment....
Relevance to what their working experience is or was. I mean with all the information about the Automotive industry I just was curious if they actually worked in it or just internet information surfers?
My guess based on what I read so far a lot of forum searching for what they think is good information and less than searching and double checking information found on the internet and then posting what they concluded which typically shows less then accurate information. It actually easy to find information that is factual it just takes a little more work then the first thing popping up on the screen which is WIKI-Wrong_most_of_the_time. LOL

Last edited:

How about that you took the time to go look for BETTER information to post this time. Good for you your learning! I might suggest as I am an active member now on this forum and should you decide to follow up with information on a thread that I have already responded on with information that can be verified as factual if you dont want me to call you on something like your usual "fly-by" look up, then I suggest spend a couple extra minutes and check your facts before posting!

And for the record I don't respond to half or less then the threads you do posting interesting things ( I do read the latest threads everyday) and don't intend to start. In my life I dont have the time.
A little history of employment I was manger of 2 locations Stockton and Sacramento CA stores and this was late 70's ....and that was before I opened my own Speed and machine shop ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Shops

Maybe I will post the rest of my employment history sometime? LOL

Oh and my first MAZDA was an RX2 with a factory hand ported engine and developed by my friend at Rotary Research in 1977

Last edited:
How about that you took the time to go look for BETTER information to post this time. Good for you your learning! I might suggest as I am an active member now on this forum and should you decide to follow up with information on a thread that I have already responded on with information that can be verified as factual if you dont want me to call you on something like your usual "fly-by" look up, then I suggest spend a couple extra minutes and check your facts before posting!

And for the record I don't respond to half or less then the threads you do posting interesting things ( I do read the latest threads everyday) and don't intend to start. In my life I dont have the time.
A little history of employment I was manger of 2 locations Stockton and Sacramento CA stores and this was late 70's ....and that was before I opened my own Speed and machine shop ;)

Oh and my first MAZDA was an RX2 with a factory hand ported engine and developed by my friend at Rotary Research in 1977

Wierd flex, but ok...

"The corporation went out of business in 1998 due to financial debt. The Super Shops trademarks and corporate name were later registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office by an unrelated El Cajon based firm[3] in 2003 and cancelled in 2012.[4]

Since 2013, the Super Shops trademarks and corporate name were obtained by a nostalgia group of former workers and customers to provide the sale of T-shirts and other memorabilia."-from your link

Alright man your just being a douchebag to everyone now.

Really! This is so far bad information you should try to read a little and understand what motor oil does. And also the responsibility and liabilities that USA dealerships have. If you dont know what was used in your motor oil service directly ask the dealership, they will put what OIL was used in you engine on the invoice if you request it. And if you think other wise provide which dealership refused to do so and post the information I will personally contact them show them this thread your response and ask for an explanation why they did not provide requested information. Really stop trying to make like DEALERSHIPS are ripping people off or hiding important information concerning the service work they do! . Every state in the USA has laws that prevents this from happening. If you feel other wise contact your local BBB or get a lawyer and start a suit against the DEALERSHIP and post up how that works out for you. Other wise really stop posting unsubstantiated BS!

....yawn....

Last edited:
Back