Which fuel is better for 2.5 Turbo engine longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it's in a 3500# vehicle, and it's about area under the curve and the torque curve. Find me another 2.5 NA motor that runs on 87 octane and provides such a meaty torque curve.

185 lbs of torque? Meaty? LMAO! May not find that torque, but the examples are by the handful, and most come from almost 20+ years ago...

I'll go deeper, the 2.5 NA should be producing what the turbo is producing now, sans the 310ft/lb torque. It would easily do it, too...

I don't want to get yrwei on another binge, but the 2.0L may have been a better platform for the turbo engine, and it could easily produce the numbers they're getting as well...

This Skyactiv-G is a good one, I totally agree, not trying to say that it isn't, but it's not even close to one of the best 4 cylinders ever made, it doesn't even make the Top 5, and it never will...

Last edited:
Can you cite a reference for this datapoint? Or is that just your opinion?

You can call it my opinion, but you're acting like Mazda is the only one with these hp and torque numbers. It doesn't take a lot of common sense (although we know that doesn't exist much around here) to know all mfgs pull timing and run rich as hell from the factory for a safety blanket, especially on a damn turbo. It's been going on for 20 years, and will continue to do so...

Just for the record, MAZDA doesn't have an engineering problem, they have a huge Management problem, IMO, just like GE...

185 lbs of torque? Meaty? LMAO! May not find that torque, but the examples are by the handful, and most come from almost 20+ years ago...

I'll go deeper, the 2.5 NA should be producing what the turbo is producing now, sans the 310ft/lb torque. It would easily do it, too...

I don't want to get yrwei on another binge, but the 2.0L may have been a better platform for the turbo engine, and it could easily produce the numbers they're getting as well...

This Skyactiv-G is a good one, I totally agree, not trying to say that it isn't, but it's not even close to one of the best 4 cylinders ever made, it doesn't even make the Top 5, and it never will...

Actually...it kindof does. The SA engine architecture and internals are the same on the 2.5T, and it made WARDs list.

Further, the 2.5T Mazda chose is excellent. It is putting up similar acceleration times to the RDX, GLC300, and Q5, while getting better real-world fuel economy and having near zero turbo lag. Wonderful engine!

Since you dog the 2.5 SA-G so much, what engine would you allege is a better one for a CUV that is less or equal to 2.5L, and NA?

Actually...it kindof does. The SA engine architecture and internals are the same on the 2.5T, and it made WARDs list.

Further, the 2.5T Mazda chose is excellent. It is putting up similar acceleration times to the RDX, GLC300, and Q5, while getting better real-world fuel economy and having near zero turbo lag. Wonderful engine!

Since you dog the 2.5 SA-G so much, what engine would you allege is a better one for a CUV that is less or equal to 2.5L, and NA?

I actually didn't dog it, I said it was an excellent engine. To answer your question, I would use it and get more out of it. It's really quite simple...

You can call it my opinion, but you're acting like Mazda is the only one with these hp and torque numbers. It doesn't take a lot of common sense (although we know that doesn't exist much around here) to know all mfgs pull timing and run rich as hell from the factory for a safety blanket, especially on a damn turbo. It's been going on for 20 years, and will continue to do so...

Yes, and if you go into the ECU tuning, you can see they pull mad timing in the 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 shifts...GM even installed a physical orifice/restriction in the clutch hydraulic lines in an attempt to slow clutch engagement on the 6-speed manuals on the LS1 F-bodies to preserve the diff. The autos received generous amounts of timing retard on shifts in those as well for the same purpose.

I actually didn't dog it, I said it was an excellent engine. To answer your question, I would use it and get more out of it. It's really quite simple...

Everything is a compromise. Could you get more power? Sure. but would you get several hundred thousand issue-free miles out of it? Still OK to run 87? Dunno 'bout that. What about intake valve build-up? Tons of variables and moving parts and alterations in internal environ go into play regarding how an engine is tuned.

Yes, and if you go into the ECU tuning, you can see they pull mad timing in the 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 shifts...GM even installed a physical orifice/restriction in the clutch hydraulic lines in an attempt to slow clutch engagement on the 6-speed manuals on the LS1 F-bodies to preserve the diff. The autos received generous amounts of timing retard on shifts in those as well for the same purpose.

I was talking tuning of the engine, ONLY, of course I can alter shift points and make it do all sorts of things, DUH!

Everything is a compromise. Could you get more power? Sure. but would you get several hundred thousand issue-free miles out of it? Still OK to run 87? Dunno 'bout that. What about intake valve build-up? Tons of variables and moving parts and alterations in internal environ go into play regarding how an engine is tuned.

Yes, yes, and yes...

Uncle Chris here with the belt.. can't have these vulgar fights going on. People notice and report the bad behavior. It also makes the forum look bad. Cleaned up the junk.
Others might have done more, just saying.

Uncle Chris here with the belt.. can't have these vulgar fights going on. People notice and report the bad behavior. It also makes the forum look bad. Cleaned up the junk.
Others might have done more, just saying.

But you deleted my totally calm and non profane link to torque management in the ms3 :(

Mom and Dad are fighting again :'(

(peep) (rofl)

Glad I missed it. Chris, you did a bang up job editing. It's actually an entertaining read as it is right now.

Quick note here...Many thanks to Chris for stepping in, cleaning up the mess and keeping the peace...(2thumbs)

Also note that repeatedly breaking our rules, policies and guidelines will result in being permanently banned from Mazdas247.

Please continue on topic...Thanks!

Thanks. So in your opinion (or experience?) Is removing this on the turbo...with 310 pounds of tq and awd...going to cause long term issues for drivetrain components? I postulate that it could, but I do not know for fact. It's not tuned in there for grins though, is my bet.

I think/my opinion it has more to do with keeping the wheels from spinning and reducing torque steer. I've mentioned many times before, but with me 93 tune, I can trip TCS just by doing a 1-2 wot shift near redline (or even midrange sometimes)... and I wear 255's. Keep in mind the eco tires and skinny wheels these cars come with as well..

I think/my opinion it has more to do with keeping the wheels from spinning and reducing torque steer. I've mentioned many times before, but with me 93 tune, I can trip TCS just by doing a 1-2 wot shift near redline (or even midrange sometimes)... and I wear 255's. Keep in mind the eco tires and skinny wheels these cars come with as well..

Agreed. It does neuter the car on the hit though. Maybe a bit less intervention.

It appears this thread has run its course...Please keep threads On Topic and do not insult your fellow Members or you may end up permanently banned from Mazdas247.

Thread cleaned once again and now Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back