NEMOC Random BS Thread

Man, we haven't even got there and we're already at each other's throats! No more till Friday ok!! [emoji6]

When are you guys arriving? I'm hoping to get there by 11pm Thursday

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Amanda and I did the BMW CCA ADSS course today. It was tons of fun. I brought the RX7 and she used her Focus. Almost everyone else was in BMWs or Audis but we were doing better than most of them. I had a lot of trouble with the threshold braking without ABS to help me and was locking them up almost every time. I couldn't find the limit and keep it there down to a complete stop. The emergency lane change exercise really had my heart pumping. Amanda seemed to be doing better than me but we both agreed it was the most intense exercise. I did better with the wet skid pad sessions and had the car drifting for short spurts. It was hard to keep it going because I didn't have enough power to keep the rear end light. I watched as the instructors yanked the e-brake to induce oversteer in Amanda's Focus and she was catching it every time, even after they disabled TCS. At the end, they used the space to set up an autox course and it was a blast. The RX7 felt right at home. For my last run, Amanda rode along and was yelling at me the whole time. I don't know how fast she was going on her runs, but she said I was braking too much. I'm not sure I could have taken some of those corners much faster though. Anyway, I have a lot to learn when it comes to autocross.

Pretty sweet. Autox is much different than the track. Track is about being smooth in and out of the turns. In Autox your car is mostly out of shape the whole time and your ability to control the chaos is what makes it interesting.

Yeah. The wet sessions really helped me cue into the understeer. It's hard to rotate the car once it starts. I disconnected the rear sway bar because of the issues it caused me on the track, but I think for autox I could probably hook it back up to get more slow turn rotation. I can see why drivers with faster cars don't like it much though. Watching the video and just using my phone to clock lap times, I was quicker than most of them. The guy with the raspy M wasn't very good behind the wheel.

ugh, that red interior on your RX7 is the greatest
Ahem, it's Burgundy.
Ron-Burgundy.jpeg

Ahem, it's Burgundy.
cache.php

Nice. Had a busy weekend, 1st autox for me back home on Saturday. Love the new RS-4's. Tons of grip, still working out suspension settings and tire pressures. Sunday was instructing our local miata group in the basics, stinking hot day but they seemed to have a great time.

Went to drive home after the session and the engine was getting too warm, temps ran into 230. Started cooling down once on the highway, pulled over to find out that my cooling fan had snagged my trailer wire that I use when towing my car. Sigh, got home and pulled off the CPU cover and coolant reservoir tank and luckily snaked out the trailer wire. But still the fan wouldn't run. Checked the fuses and found the 30A fuse for the fan blew. Changed that out and all was good. Got away with that one.

Great catch Bruce! That could have turned ugly real quick. Time to get that Moroso aluminum tank. 😉

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great catch Bruce! That could have turned ugly real quick. Time to get that Moroso aluminum tank. 😉

Ahh NO. Already replaced the tank with the upgraded one from Mazda. Rather spend that money somewhere else.

Ahh NO. Already replaced the tank with the upgraded one from Mazda. Rather spend that money somewhere else.

Ill guess another set of tires. [emoji2]

Three day weekend! Taking tomorrrow off as my son has orientation at his new job. Going to grab lunch with Tam since Ill ne close. [emoji1]

He can test for his license in November so weve started to casually shop for a car. Found a 2004 Mazda6 in town. $3K with 16x,xxx miles. Its a 4cyl which I know is a dog in the 6 but perfect for a 16yo. Plus it will get better mileage than the V6. Been toying around with an older Subie, Toyota or Honda too. Hes been driving the Miata more and likes it more than the CX-5. Maybe I can find him an NB?

Back