High Mileage CX-5s - report in

I brought in my vehicle for a TSB for an audio issue after warranty expired and dealer said TSB's are not covered under warranty - is that the case for anyone else?
Unless I am misunderstanding your post, he means you are out of warranty so they are not covered.

Otherwise, TSBs are absolutely covered while in the warranty period.

Edit: Unless it's different in Maple Syrup Land?

Last edited:
Almost 110k on my 14 touring. No major issues so far, just maintenance. Did replace the switch on the shifter last summer, no big deal. Plan on replacing all the belts. Big mistake I made was not changing transmission fluid.

Almost 110k on my 14 touring. No major issues so far, just maintenance. Did replace the switch on the shifter last summer, no big deal. Plan on replacing all the belts. Big mistake I made was not changing transmission fluid.

Does your transmission have an issue?

Unless I am misunderstanding your post, he means you are out of warranty so they are not covered.

Exactly. TSB's are not recalls. TSB's have nothing to do with warranty period. They're just documents helping Mazda mechanics to fix common problems on a vehicle.

Oops, poor explanation - I expected a TSB to be dealt with even when the warranty period had expired and that is not the case. I still think it should be dealt with when it is a known defect. I can understand something breaking after 3 years and having to replace it but when it's a problem with the manufacturer... well thems the breaks!

I definitely do not like the speaker rattle when the radio is over 20 on the volume! I have turned the bass down which helps a bit. I have to decide if it is worth fixing - I do expect to keep it 6+ more years. I might take door apart following a previous poster. Sorry for hijacking this thread on an unrelated topic!

Oops, poor explanation - I expected a TSB to be dealt with even when the warranty period had expired and that is not the case. I still think it should be dealt with when it is a known defect. I can understand something breaking after 3 years and having to replace it but when it's a problem with the manufacturer... well thems the breaks!

I definitely do not like the speaker rattle when the radio is over 20 on the volume! I have turned the bass down which helps a bit. I have to decide if it is worth fixing - I do expect to keep it 6+ more years. I might take door apart following a previous poster. Sorry for hijacking this thread on an unrelated topic!
I agree with you that TSB's should be treated like safety recalls, and should get fixed for free by manufacture. But the problem is the cost. Based on many TSB's they're indeed caused by poor design*poor workmanship*and defects. For many Mazda has to do a major redesign work to resolve the issue. For example the front input bearing issues on earlier SkyActiv-Drive transmission and rear differential, Mazda had to redesign the whole front casing, which means the whole transmission and rear differential need to get replaced when the TSB is performed. Mazda has to take chances, as the cost to perform a TSB is too high! This's not just for Mazda, but for all car manufactures.

There's a TSB for the rattling issue from your Bose 9" door woofers and I got lucky my dealer was willing to replace them with revised version even though there was no obvious rattles. I also mentioned many other TSB's such as A-pillar trims and rear brake calipers and they all got fixed under warranty during my last-chance visit right before my warranty ran out. The total bill my Mazda dealer charged to MNAO for all the fixes including both LED headlights was $5,000+! People should gather all TSB's if possible and mention them to your dealer before the warranty expires. You'll never know if your dealer may be willing to do something as they also get paid by Mazda when they do those warranty work.

Not exactly high milage by today's standard, but just rolled past 90K, and I've only tossed oil, filters, tires and a set of brakes (with flush) at it. In fact, I've never once returned to the dealer I purchaced from. Most reliable car I've ever owned.

I'll probably use it as a DD for a few more years before it becomes a spare and I get into something else a little more exciting.

At around 190,000 I replaced my tires in an attempt to remedy some extreme road noise. Tires didn't help... noise developed into a roar at almost any speed. Noise goes away when turning to the right- me and a local shop think it's the front right wheel bearing. Bearings are in the mail and should get here the day before my great big vacation. Think I got this? Maybe...
Aside from the ever-helpful mcx5 website I can't find any tips for swapping the front hub/bearing units. Did anyone here have any helpful tips that I missed?

I am at 111K on my 2014 Grand Touring. Same as you regarding issues and maintenance. My biggest expense has been tires. I am on my third full set. Otherwise, car has been very reliable and consistent.

We replaced the front-right wheel bearing on my car the other day... we were able to remove the hub/bearing assembly without taking the knuckle out of the car.
-the abs sensor bolt snapped off IMMEDIATELY... but no worries for now as the sensor is firmly froze in the knuckle. I'll have to drill out the bolt and chase the threads at some some point...
-The hub assembly was firmly frozen in the knuckle. We used a pulled modified into a pusher to shove it out of the knuckle a little and then chiseled it out (for 3 hours).
-The bearing was the source of %66.6666 of the noise. The right-rear bearing also appears to be bad but we couldn't hear it over the front so we'll replace that one soon too.

Other than that still not a lot to complain about at 192,000. We just got back from a 2000 mile week-long trip to the U.P. and the car handled it pretty well.

I just bought a 2014 in GS trim. 180,000 kms on it so its got a lot of use, but it looks like its been taken care of (aside from a broken sunroof switch its there are no issues).

Is there any recommended maintenance that you all think I should do now?

Hi there! Thanks so much for sharing this thread with us! I''ll be following the answers. Notify me if anything will happen.

I just bought a 2014 in GS trim. 180,000 kms on it so it*s got a lot of use, but it looks like it*s been taken care of (aside from a broken sunroof switch it*s there are no issues).

Is there any recommended maintenance that you all think I should do now?

Assuming it hasn't been done yet getting close to needing to replace engine coolant at 192k km (120k miles) per maintenance schedule.

That's some millage for a 2014.... )))

First - i'd pull up all the service records to know exactly what has been done prior - especially in terms of trany flushes.

Then do the basics:
-coolant
-brake fluid
-accessories belt + pulley + tensioner
-alternator pulley
-trainy fluid + filter (but be careful with this one, if they haven't serviced the trany before - you might have to flush it a few times since new fluid will dissolve all the gunk which is already there).
-brakes

And the biggest (and costliest) one - timing chain will need to be inspected and replaced if the tensioner is all the way out. And while you'll be at it - I'd drop the intake, soak and clean the ports as you'll have tons of carbon buildup - guaranteed.

Last edited:
That's some millage for a 2014.... )))

First - i'd pull up all the service records to know exactly what has been done prior - especially in terms of trany flushes.

Then do the basics:
-coolant
-brake fluid
-accessories belt + pulley + tensioner
-alternator pulley
-trainy fluid + filter (but be careful with this one, if they haven't serviced the trany before - you might have to flush it a few times since new fluid will dissolve all the gunk which is already there).
-brakes

And the biggest (and costliest) one - timing chain will need to be inspected and replaced if the tensioner is all the way out. And while you'll be at it - I'd drop the intake, soak and clean the ports as you'll have tons of carbon buildup - guaranteed.

Agreed on getting the service records if you can.

Regarding the tranny fluid, you can't flush a CX-5 tranny without some modding, so if they did do any transmission services, it would have been drain/fills and/or dropping the pan and replacing the filter. I agree that at that mileage, I'd be curious to know if the tranny had been serviced at all. If no service has been done at all, I'd probably leave it alone at that mileage, but if it has, I'd want to keep up with periodic drain/fills of the fluid.

Regarding the tranny fluid, you can't flush a CX-5 tranny without some modding, so if they did do any transmission services, i

Depends on what we intend by "flush". A complete flush with a proper machinery - that does require some know-how, but a partial drain/filter replacement/refill is a 2-hours job - most of which will be spent scraping the old gasket of and applying the new one. (Back when I did mine, there weren't any filter+gasket kits on Amazon)

And it literally only takes 10 more minutes than a regular oil change if you just want to drain an re-fill the fluid.

If I had to do it on a ~200000km tranny which hasn't been touched before - I'd probably do the partial replacement wit filter, run the car for ~1000km and do it again. Otherwise it will most likely clog up.

Expensive? Yes!

But somebody has to pay for the maintenance which hasn't been done when it was supposed to be.

Last edited:
Depends on what we intend by "flush". A complete flush with a proper machinery - that does require some know-how, but a partial drain/filter replacement/refill is a 2-hours job - most of which will be spent scraping the old gasket of and applying the new one. (Back when I did mine, there weren't any filter+gasket kits on Amazon)

And it literally only takes 10 more minutes than a regular oil change if you just want to drain an re-fill the fluid.

If I had to do it on a ~200000km tranny which hasn't been touched before - I'd probably do the partial replacement wit filter, run the car for ~1000km and do it again. Otherwise it will most likely clog up.

Expensive? Yes!

But somebody has to pay for the maintenance which hasn't been done when it was supposed to be.

Again, from my understanding, traditional definition of a "flush" cannot be done without some modding on Skyactiv transmissions. It lacks whatever lines it needs to hookup to typical flush machines. Really makes you wonder what these dealers are doing when they are selling Skyactiv Transmission flushes.

So most people here have either drained/filled (once or multiple times) without dropping the pan. Or they drain, drop the pan and replace the filter, and refill.

General feeling on the board was that if the transmission had never been serviced and you are north of 100k miles, better off leaving it alone at that point.

Back