2007~2015 Changing CX-9 transfer case gear oil (photos)

Our 2011 CX-9 is at 107k miles. I changed the TC fluid at 50K, and just recently at 100K. TC was always a concern of mine after getting that letter for the warranty extension on the CX-9. Right now, this thing still runs great......now you people are starting to scare me with this Water Pump Issue. Is it really a common issue, or is it getting all blown up because people come to forums to post issues, not happy news.

Anywho.....I am hoping the CX9 has 3yrs or so left in her, so we can trade it in as part of a down payment on something new. We're starting to get the itch for something new though, so it might not be 3yrs, we will see I guess.

Last edited:
douchbaggery, you ordered the transfer case? how much and are you doing this yourself or are you having and indy mechanic do the job and how much do they charge?

Is the transfer case that first gear whine (not loud but noticeable)?

I have 25,000 miles and just noticed this sound. I have warranty until 2022 so I don't care what breaks honestly but I'm due for an oil change and ask them to fix this.

I completed the change of fluid in the transfer case today on my 2010 grand touring. Has about 16k on this fluid in a replacement transfer case. The hardest parts were getting the plug loose for the first time and cleaning up the fluid that dropped out after the fill. That part got a little messy. Put the plug back in, didn't need thread lock because there was still a lot on the plug. Took it for a ride and seemed fine. Taking an a trip from NJ to South Carolina in the next week but still have serious reservations about taking the Mazda. Will be doing the trip in two legs so looking at 5 hours continuous driving. I have a hard time trusting this vehicle for that amount of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took a trip straight throgh from NY to SC in my 2012 with about 15,000 miles on a refresh of the fluid last summer. Made the trip with no issues at all and everything is fine. I also have a buddy who uses his 2010 for frequent back and forth from SC to NJ. I have done the fluid in his vehicle only once about 2 years back and that is working just fine too. I think you should be just fine with the re-done fluid. I have been using the Royal Purple and based on experience with it I will continue to do so.

I completed the change of fluid in the transfer case today on my 2010 grand touring. Has about 16k on this fluid in a replacement transfer case. The hardest parts were getting the plug loose for the first time and cleaning up the fluid that dropped out after the fill. That part got a little messy. Put the plug back in, didn't need thread lock because there was still a lot on the plug. Took it for a ride and seemed fine. Taking an a trip from NJ to South Carolina in the next week but still have serious reservations about taking the Mazda. Will be doing the trip in two legs so looking at 5 hours continuous driving. I have a hard time trusting this vehicle for that amount of driving.

Thanks for the response, the procedure wasn't as bad as I thought just a little tight under there trying to work.

Just a follow up the fill plug had a good amount of burnt sludge on it. The fluid pumped out easily and was not sludge yet.

Just a follow up the fill plug had a good amount of burnt sludge on it. The fluid pumped out easily and was not sludge yet.

Glad to heat that if flowed freely. Mine was the same and so was my buddies car, makes me feel better that we caught it early on thanks to the great information here. I really think you'll be in fine shape for whatever trip you decide to take. Yes it is very tight under there but having done this a few times now I am pretty good at it. THe bigger issue for me is the mess that you have to clean up, seems unavoidable given the location of the PTU.

if PTU failed, cost isn't too bad to fix considering the amount of work involved ......

$1500 total (replacement parts and labor)

he's located in Pennsylvania, see his video below.......

Meenan Transmission • 1938 N. Broad St. Lansdale, PA 19446 (215)855-5123 www.meenantransmission.com

but look at all the shavings on the TRANSMISSION SPLINES in his video (00:23 seconds mark) ,

is that shavings from the PTU teeth (best case scenario)

or

Transmission teeth (worst case because replacing with new PTU won't fix anything, the car will be FWD, need to replace the transmission splines but Mazda doesn't just sell the splines, have to buy a whole transmission or take part from a junked CX-9)

Also, it is very critical to use the same brand and sizes on all 4 wheels for AWD

especially critical on the CX-9 considering how delicate the PTU is and how little oil capacity it has.......

Last edited:
I took a trip straight throgh from NY to SC in my 2012 with about 15,000 miles on a refresh of the fluid last summer. Made the trip with no issues at all and everything is fine. I also have a buddy who uses his 2010 for frequent back and forth from SC to NJ. I have done the fluid in his vehicle only once about 2 years back and that is working just fine too. I think you should be just fine with the re-done fluid. I have been using the Royal Purple and based on experience with it I will continue to do so.

Took the trip this past week with no issues except one of the heat shields toward the back came loose and rattled for the last hour of the trip.

I got an official warranty extension mail from mazda, stating that the warranty on transfer cases is now 90K miles on 2014 and 2015 year models. Looks like they still did not fix it I guess all new Cx-9 are still affected too.
I'm pretty sure this warranty will not cover if a transfer case damages transmission like in some cases, when a case suddenly locks due to the sludge and either cuts the splines on the transmission gear (car is now FWD), or totally kills transmission.
What the hack Mazda, this issue is already 10 years old(pissed)(pissed)(pissed)
I guess I will be changing oil each 10K or so.

I got an official warranty extension mail from mazda, stating that the warranty on transfer cases is now 90K miles on 2014 and 2015 year models. Looks like they still did not fix it I guess all new Cx-9 are still affected too.
I'm pretty sure this warranty will not cover if a transfer case damages transmission like in some cases, when a case suddenly locks due to the sludge and either cuts the splines on the transmission gear (car is now FWD), or totally kills transmission.
What the hack Mazda, this issue is already 10 years old(pissed)(pissed)(pissed)
I guess I will be changing oil each 10K or so.

yep, I believe it was confirmed awhile ago, 2007 thru 2015 CX-9 AWD all have the same transfer case issue,

small capacity and no drain plug to service the oil.

2016+ 2.5L turbo engine AWD is completely different transfer case and Mazda design, not Ford design like the 2007-2015.

you have the right idea though, service the oil regularly and you should be ok.

Took the trip this past week with no issues except one of the heat shields toward the back came loose and rattled for the last hour of the trip.

Transfer case failed with about 18k on royal purple. I purchased the extended warranty on the car so it was covered $2300. God was good to me on this one, the warranty was about $1800 and still have about 20k miles left on it.

Transfer case failed with about 18k on royal purple. I purchased the extended warranty on the car so it was covered $2300. God was good to me on this one, the warranty was about $1800 and still have about 20k miles left on it.

Kinda worried as to why the TC should fail even after changing the fluid. I already have a TC replaced by dealer under warranty at 56k miles. Now have 65k miles on my 2012 Cx-9. So whats the best way to keep the TC alive? I dont like the idea of drain plug. So not sure how some TC's last while others fail. is it city driving vs highway driving? Or uneven tire wear. Last option is to offload it or trade it in.

I would not recommend this generation of vehicle to anyone. I changed the transfer case fluid and it still failed. My wife does mostly city driving so that may have caused it. I will be trading this in once we get close to the end of the warranty. It is a shame because it is a nice vehicle to drive.

I would not recommend this generation of vehicle to anyone. I changed the transfer case fluid and it still failed. My wife does mostly city driving so that may have caused it. I will be trading this in once we get close to the end of the warranty. It is a shame because it is a nice vehicle to drive.

I don't know if I'd go that far.....our 2011 CX9 has been a great vehicle for us. I changed the TC fluid @50k and @100k, and it's still going strong. We're current @130k, and if we keep it until 150k, I'll change it again.

I don't know if I'd go that far.....our 2011 CX9 has been a great vehicle for us. I changed the TC fluid @50k and @100k, and it's still going strong. We're current @130k, and if we keep it until 150k, I'll change it again.

For me I have already had it replaced twice. I only had about 30k on a fluid change when it failed the second time. Some people have good luck changing the fluid but not worth the effort in my opinion when there are other vehicles out there that do not require this to be done.

Just did my first transfer case oil change after having the unit replaced.

Thanks to this thread, and everyone who contributed. It was easier than I had expected.

Back