New AA \ ACP Thread (with Poll)

How do you feel about AA ? ACP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the thread drift ...

Have they quoted you any trade-in value yet? Same here with resisting the urge...
No guarantees since the vehicles most likely won't arrive until they debut at the L.A. Auto Show in late November.
I'll likely have around 10k miles on the current vehicle by that time ... with it in perfect condition at the moment.
They'll have only to change the oil in order to sell it as Certified PreOwned.

Fortunately I have a very good relationship with my dealer ... having bought several vehicles from them in the past and referred many others who have also purchased vehicles.
With one exception they've always been very fair with their pricing and trade value.
My expectation is somewhere between employee and invoice pricing for the '19 with the '17 at the high end of "trade" value when the deed is done.
If my expectations aren't met, I'm happy enough with my '17 that I'll walk away.

Im at the dealer today for service and asked to update the infotainment software.

I got some pushback and was told if its to install AA/ACP hardware on my own, they will void my warranty and that its becoming a problem for mazda service techs.

Translated to: It takes money away from Mazda for not getting their act together in the US.

Lets see if they actually do it.

Im at the dealer today for service and asked to update the infotainment software.

I got some pushback and was told if its to install AA/ACP hardware on my own, they will void my warranty and that its becoming a problem for mazda service techs.

Translated to: It takes money away from Mazda for not getting their act together in the US.

Lets see if they actually do it.

So they did upgrade and the tech said their issue is really with people upgrading the OS and bricking the HU.

That said he did say that Mazda has been mandating dealers no longer sell the kits to consumers and that they could lose their sponsorships if they continue. Mazda still doesnt support it and my dealer was told to just say maybe by EOY 2019 for US.

I did the install my self, parts were $156 before tax. It took about 45 minutest to run the cable, and 45 minutes to do the firmware update. Its not as great an experience as my GTI, but it is so much better than Mazda system, which in my opinion is one of the, in not the worst in the industry.

My dealer had no problem selling me the parts, though the part guy said they were not for my vehicle. Car is much more enjoyable to drive, I still hate that dame control knob though.

So Im about 3 weeks in from having ACP fitted to my 2018 CX5. I like it, but it does feel like a workaround. The fact that I had a wireless charging cradle was really cool. No wires and decent Bluetooth sound. Now although I get rid of the cradle and theres less clutter in the car, plus my phone is now out of sight which is obviously safer, I cant help but think ACP should be wireless. I think it is in a new Mercedes of a certain model?

What is useful though is using Mazda Navigation as well as ACP. Means I can set a destination and easily switch between nav and music etc.

Yeah, one $60,000 car currently supports wireless ACP.
We're just never happy, are we? [emoji38]

I attempted to do the Hub unit and cable install on our 2016.5 CX-5 today but had to abort and put everything back together again. For the life of me, I could not get the plastic caps covering the rear console/center console screws (near the back, by the seat rails; one on each side) to come out.

The plastic caps are recessed in and theres no gap between the console body and the cap. I tried spludgers from electronics repair kits (even broke one), the smallest flathead screwdriver I could find, and even some watch repair tools...nothing could get those plastic caps to budge.

Anyone have similar troubles and have a better technique? I found a thread here that gives instructions and they mention its tricky.

Ugh.

I attempted to do the Hub unit and cable install on our 2016.5 CX-5 today but had to abort and put everything back together again. For the life of me, I could not get the plastic caps covering the rear console/center console screws (near the back, by the seat rails; one on each side) to come out.

The plastic caps are recessed in and there*s no gap between the console body and the cap. I tried spludgers from electronics repair kits (even broke one), the smallest flathead screwdriver I could find, and even some watch repair tools...nothing could get those plastic caps to budge.

Anyone have similar troubles and have a better technique? I found a thread here that gives instructions and they mention it*s tricky.

Ugh.

I was able to get those darn caps off for a previous mod and for this one, but ended up scratching the left console panel after being forced to use a smaller sized screwdriver (apparently did not have enough protective tape on it, but then again, it wouldn't have been thin enough to get under the cap. Same as you--everything I tried beforehand including car pry tools would not work. There's no screw hole to catch, etc. I bought a replacement panel to put in at some point. But...guess what? When taking off the cap on the right side for this installation, I scratched that side as well. (dunno). It is kinda hidden by the seats, but still....I know the scratches are there. So, get something rigid but thin, and perhaps tape off around the cap (painters tape?) versus trying to tape whatever tool you use.

I was able to get those darn caps off for a previous mod and for this one, but ended up scratching the left console panel after being forced to use a smaller sized screwdriver (apparently did not have enough protective tape on it, but then again, it wouldn't have been thin enough to get under the cap. Same as you--everything I tried beforehand including car pry tools would not work. There's no screw hole to catch, etc. I bought a replacement panel to put in at some point. But...guess what? When taking off the cap on the right side for this installation, I scratched that side as well. (dunno). It is kinda hidden by the seats, but still....I know the scratches are there. So, get something rigid but thin, and perhaps tape off around the cap (painters tape?) versus trying to tape whatever tool you use.

Thanks. I started with car interior trim tools that I already had. Not even close. Then a really tiny flathead and even those wouldn't fit in the non-existent gap (let alone with painter's tape on it). Then out of desperation, the closest thing I could even come close to wedging in there is an electronics spludger...and that broke the tool. The reality of it is that the cap is so recessed and the gap is so small that I'm likely going to have to create my own gap. Sigh.

You're right that they're pretty hidden, but I know it's going to bother me if I have to significantly mangle the pieces even if it's out of sight. I decided I'm going to get those suckers off, even if I have to drill the damn thing from the center. I preemptively purchased replacement caps to go in its place.

EG21-64-393A-02, quantity 2, if you want new ones FYI.

One other question: were you able to keep the AT shift knob in place and not have to deal with removing that? If so, did you just shift into neutral and chock the wheels and shut the car off, then temporarily rotate the shifter trim surround? I popped the A/T shifter trim surround off pretty easily and unplugged that, and I was hoping I could just rotate that piece 90 degrees to access the Hub unit area. But I never got to that step because I couldn't get the rear console covers off. I just put everything back together so my wife could use her car today.

Last edited:
EG21-64-393A-02, quantity 2, if you want new ones FYI.

One other question: were you able to keep the AT shift knob in place and not have to deal with removing that? If so, did you just shift into neutral and chock the wheels and shut the car off, then temporarily rotate the shifter trim surround? I popped the A/T shifter trim surround off pretty easily and unplugged that, and I was hoping I could just rotate that piece 90 degrees to access the Hub unit area. But I never got to that step because I couldn't get the rear console covers off. I just put everything back together so my wife could use her car today.

Thank you for the part detail!

Nope, I removed the AT shift knob. I didn't have that much trouble with it, but I understand some others have had challenges. In fact, I did it twice (had an aborted initial install attempt). If you use the shift release trigger with a small screwdriver and move the shifter to D or further, you can more easily see the small u-shaped metal piece that holds the knob in place and I actually set a mirror in place so I could see what I was doing. The second reinstall was a bit of a pain to get that same piece back in place, but the first time I hit the sweet spot the very first try. What I didn't do is completely remove the back console piece nor the center lower part, as I could not for the life of me get one of the wiring loom clips out of that under piece. So, I just moved everything back enough and overlapped the center piece with the back console to give me just enough room to remove the original USB hub and install the new one.

All over the internet (including this forum) I'm reading that ACP is already available and my model, 2018 CX-5 Touring, can be upgraded. However, I just called my dealer and there is no upgrade option available for me. He said maybe after the 20th of November. Can someone clarify this for me? Is the upgrade available or not?

Thank you.

So technically the part and software exist for it so yes yours can be upgraded. However Mazdas policy is a rollout where they are prioritizing the 6 then will open up to CX-5 and others hence the answer you got.

So technically the part and software exist for it so yes yours can be upgraded. However Mazda*s policy is a rollout where they are prioritizing the 6 then will open up to CX-5 and others hence the answer you got.
Thank you.

So, I suppose it's best to wait so it's done correctly, right?

All over the internet (including this forum) I'm reading that ACP is already available and my model, 2018 CX-5 Touring, can be upgraded. However, I just called my dealer and there is no upgrade option available for me. He said maybe after the 20th of November. Can someone clarify this for me? Is the upgrade available or not?

Thank you.

I just bought a 2018 and negotiated Apple Carplay into my deal. The dealership scheduled me for Nov 19th install

I just bought a 2018 and negotiated Apple Carplay into my deal. The dealership scheduled me for Nov 19th install
Several people have commented on Reddit dealers have told them the 19th is the day Mazda opens it up to the CX5.

Found this on youtube. Someone with a 2016 CX-5 has apple car play installed and working:

https://youtu.be/JCRhbNNjblY

I'm jealous and can't wait for the 20th to come already to get it for my 2017 CX-5. I've already been contacted by my preferred local dealer here in San Diego that they should be getting the kits by the 20th but they aren't scheduling appointments yet. Timing wise that is the same week Black Friday hits which is also pay day for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back