How many miles before you replaced your original tires?

My Toyo tires which are comparative to the Geolanders. At 45,000, 3 tires was 3/32 and the other 4/32. I change them at 48,700 miles. Wanted to try for 50,000 just for the yet of it, but a road trip was coming up and didn't need to.

I'm not sure way so many people didn't get the mileage we did. Maybe I pushed mine too far but they always came though to the end.

So FirstOfficer, I would say we got lucky with our tire mileage, but anything over 50,000 miles would be a pipe dream.
Time to start watching for deals. Good luck and good hunting.

AC
My Toyo A23's on my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD have about 4/32" tread depth at 34,398 miles. There're many reasons why some get more miles than others on OE tires. My CX-5 is doing city driving exclusively and I don't expect its tires would last too long no matter how careful my wife drives. If you use your CX-5 mostly on the highway and don't use brake much, you should get longer tread life out of your tires.

In theory, all tires can be used safely until the tread depth reaches to 2/32" which is when the wear-bar shows up. But the traction most likely will be degrading after 4/32", especially on wet or snow-covered road surface. That's why many tire stores suggest the customers getting a new set of tires when the tread depth reaches to 4/32" although legally 2/32" tread depth or wear-bar has always been a standard that the tire needs to be replaced.

There're tires with long 90K-mile warranty. But tire age has been emphasized by tire manufactures in recent years and they cover tires only under 6 years old with warranty which actually makes some long mileage warranty useless under certain circumstances. And my personally experience also suggests that it's hard to make a tire last long as chances are it'd get nailed too close to the sidewall eventually which is not repairable.

Just bought 4 Michelin Premier LTX at Costco. Not installed yet. On sale, total of $130 off if you use the Costco VISA. Total was $809.96 + 60.65 MN sales tax, so $871 out the door. These are 19s. I have about 41k miles on the GT AWD, and the tires are all around 3 to 4/32" - could have waited until end of summer, but went with the sale.

With the use of the Blizzaks I am still on my stock 19" A23s. I need to measure this weekend but they are getting down there. It is borderline so either this summer or next spring at the latest.

These BF Goodrich ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT - SIZE: 225/55R19 appear to have really good ratings
Discussed in another thread:

BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT 225/55R19 is Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire which is fairly new but has been listed in my 2nd comparison table.

Although BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT is now rated #1 out of 30 in Tire Ratings Charts on Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tires from TireRack.com which overtook the previous Michelin Premier LTX, but it has only 156K reported miles from customers, comparing to Premier LTX's 7M miles. We shall wait and see.

Based on specs on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, I personally don't like the "700 B A" UTQG, lower 44 psi maximum inflation pressure, and heavier 30 lbs. tire weight.
It also performs absolutely dismally in the rain, and I'd never buy them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=229

Just look at that wet pavement stopping distance!
Didn't check the test results performed by TireRack but only mentioned good initial customer reviews with caution.

I agree with you the test results are not good in almost EVERY category on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, not just in wet test track!

Thanks...now more research :)

If I could have just gotten some Conti Extreme Contact DWS in this size I would be happy.

Thanks...now more research :)

If I could have just gotten some Conti Extreme Contact DWS in this size I would be happy.
I'm about to get my replacement tires too. I actually seriously consider this Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire with UTQG of "600 A A" as my Discount Tire Store I use can get it and match the price.

Went to my Discount Tire Store yesterday checking out the price and availability on new 225/55R19 tires again. The rep measured tread depth of my CX-5 and verified all 4 are having 4/32" left and wearing evenly on middle and side tread. My 2016 CX-5 GT AWD now has 33,220 miles on OE Toyo A23's. This proved keeping tire pressure at least 3 psi higher than factory recommended 36 psi at 39~40 psi is the right decision on tire wear, although I personally don't like the firm sometimes harsh ride due to higher tire pressure with these A23's.

Thanks to nice find and 8,000-mile mostly winter road condition ride experience by Badgerbass on Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire, I asked the rep if DT can get this tire even though I'd asked the same question before to a different rep and he said they can't. But this time he made some extra effort and found the source which DT can order Radar tires from, Omnisource. By going through Discount Tire ordering this tire, I can enjoy lifetime tire rotation、balancing、and puncture repair nation-wide, not to mention DT usually can match online price. Currently this Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire sells for $84.44 each with free shipping at WalMart.com, which is less than half of the prices from most other tires with same size!

Another tire option for 19" wheels

attachment.php

View attachment 220669

I'm about to get my replacement tires too. I actually seriously consider this Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire with UTQG of "600 A A" as my Discount Tire Store I use can get it and match the price.
Never heard of that brand. Why not just your favorites the General Altimax? Is it that cheap price for the Radars swaying you that way? Also...are they made in China? (scratch)

Just wondering how they are so cheap.

Last edited:
Never heard of that brand. Why not just your favorites the General Altimax? Is it that cheap price for the Radars swaying you that way? Also...are they made in China? (scratch)

Just wondering how they are so cheap.
I'm interested in this Radar Dimax AS-8 tire mainly because our member Badgerbass has tried 8,000 miles with mostly winter road condition and likes it. It costs only a half of other major brands. And all reviews to this tire on the internet are also very good. You can also find it in Amazon.

Radar Dimax tires are manufactured by Omni United which is located in Singapore and has been around since 2006. The tire is manufactured in 8 locations across 3 countries and this particular size is made in Thailand. Thailand is a major rubber producer and almost all tire manufactures have factory there. You'd see tires selling in Asia such as Michelin's, Continental's, Pirelli's, or Yokohama's many of them made in Thailand for regional distribution.

You pay more for the brand name. That's why Michelin tires now are so expensive but Radar tires are not.

I'm interested in this Radar Dimax AS-8 tire mainly because our member Badgerbass has tried 8,000 miles with mostly winter road condition and likes it. It costs only a half of other major brands. And all reviews to this tire on the internet are also very good. You can also find it in Amazon.

Radar Dimax tires are manufactured by Omni United which is located in Singapore and has been around since 2006. The tire is manufactured in 8 locations across 3 countries and this particular size is made in Thailand. Thailand is a major rubber producer and almost all tire manufactures have factory there. You'd see tires selling in Asia such as Michelin's, Continental's, Pirelli's, or Yokohama's many of them made in Thailand for regional distribution.

You pay more for the brand name. That's why Michelin tires now are so expensive but Radar tires are not.
Very interesting. Will have to let us know how they feel when you get 'em.

They seem kind of heavy at 29.4 LBS.
Most of the tires I have been looking at in this size are 25-27 LBS. Michelin 27, General 25, Bridgestone 25.

Wheel/tire combo is one of the worst places to add weight, but I think the OE Toyo's weigh close to 29 LBS as well, so you probably wouldn't notice a difference. But you should notice an improvement in performance going with a 25 LB tire and having 16 to 17 less LBS of rotating mass.

They seem kind of heavy at 29.4 LBS.
Most of the tires I have been looking at in this size are 25-27 LBS. Michelin 27, General 25, Bridgestone 25.

Wheel/tire combo is one of the worst places to add weight, but I think the OE Toyo's weigh close to 29 LBS as well, so you probably wouldn't notice a difference. But you should notice an improvement in performance going with a 25 LB tire and having 16 to 17 less LBS of rotating mass.
Actually for 225/55R19 most of them are 28~30 lbs. or even heavier based on my spec table. BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT just mentioned above is 30 lbs. Yokohama YK740 GTX* is 29.1 lbs. Pirelli Cinturato* Strada All Season is 29 lbs. Michelin Premier LTX is 27.34 lbs. Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max is 31 lbs.

Yeah one reason I like General AltiMAX* RT43 is its light weight - only 24.4 lbs.

Consider Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V has extra load index at 103 (1929 lbs. Max. Load) as others at the same size are 99 (1,709 lbs. Max. Load), 29.4 lbs are not that heavy. Even our OE Toyo A36 is 29 lbs!

Last edited:
Actually for 225/55R19 most of them are 28~30 lbs. or even heavier based on my spec table. BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT just mentioned above is 30 lbs. Yokohama YK740 GTX is 29.1 lbs. Pirelli Cinturato Strada All Season is 29 lbs. Michelin Premier LTX is 27.34 lbs. Goodyear Assurance CS Fuel Max is 31 lbs.

Yeah one reason I like General AltiMAX RT43 is its light weight - only 24.4 lbs.

Consider Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V has extra load index at 103 as others at the same size are 99, 99.4 lbs are not that heavy. Even our OE Toyo A36 is 29 lbs!

Yeah, as mentioned, I am considering the Michelin which is 27, but I will probably get the Bridgestone 422 Plus 99V, which is 25 LBS because I have a local dealer that will discount them.

I was just mentioning that the Radar Dimax was on the chubbier side of the choices, and 15% heavier than the Bridgestone and General, not saying it is a bad choice, and it is definitely leass expensive.

Beware the tread wear rating spec because that spec is not an industry standard test and can only be used to compare relative wear among different tires offered by a single brand. The Radar Dimax tread pattern is not ideal for driving in wintry places where you drive on compacted snow often. For wintry roads the Dimax tread pattern is inferior to the OEM Toyo and General Altimax. If you have dedicated winter tires then the Dimax seems a perfect choice for the warmer months.

This's your theory by looking at the tread pattern on Radar Dimax AS-8:
Beware the tread wear rating spec because that spec is not an industry standard test and can only be used to compare relative wear among different tires offered by a single brand. The Radar Dimax tread pattern is not ideal for driving in wintry places where you drive on compacted snow often. For wintry roads the Dimax tread pattern is inferior to the OEM Toyo and General Altimax. If you have dedicated winter tires then the Dimax seems a perfect choice for the warmer months.

And this's the real world experience by Badgerbass:
Update on my previous post...about 8,000 miles since tire install. Tires wearing even with no vibration and minimal road noise. Installed in October and went through a terrible Wisconsin winter with lots of snow, sleet and rain and performed well. I can honestly say they were a great purchase!

And which one do I believe? The real world experience!

The Radar Dimax will be a great value if you do your winter driving in Plano, TX.
Just sharing my experience. Poor winter tread design will not improve with wear.
And, willing to admit that if you drive smart most any tire will do pretty good with AWD.

The Radar Dimax will be a great value if you do your winter driving in Plano, TX.
Just sharing my experience. Poor winter tread design will not improve with wear.
And, willing to admit that if you drive smart most any tire will do pretty good with AWD.
In North Texas we may still get several days of snowing conditions in winter. Badgerbass went through "terrible Wisconsin winter" for 8,000 miles with Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 tires and he approved the performance. Based on reviews from many websites including Amazon and WalMart, this Radar Dimax AS-8 tire seems to be pretty good in most categories. For the price I paid, $415.75 total for a set from Discount Tire with installation, life-time tire maintenance, disposal fee, 8.25% sales tax, and 10% Independence Day rebate, I believe it's indeed a great value.

I just replaced mines just shy of 50k miles. I wouldve gotten at least another 5-7k before the wear bars started to be more noticeable but I ended up getting a crew in one of the tires.

Guessing we are around 22,000 miles on our 2016 CX-9 with OEM Geolandar 18's. Not impressed enough with any characteristics to put another set on but alignment must be good and I'm on top of tire pressure and getting life and even wear out of tires so no negligence anyways. :D
Wear bars are close but tire noise, ride and feel suffers. I bled them to 34 psi from 37 and that helped.
Ready for new rubber and a 3000 mile road trip this fall so we will vote on something else. Had Geolandar before on an '02 Tribute (probably same one's as now) and those not a remarkable tire in any way. Personally, my opinion is a mid-pack tire is going to be pretty livable with anything that is AWD if moderate winters and not dedicated to ski country and mountain driving. AWD hedges the bets with most tires except the bottom of deck. I value comfort, ride and low noise but have to see a tread that sells me on wet performance and some siping for winter bite. Safety is just too critical IMO to be 1/2 assed about tire decisions.

NEXT UP
Considering a few Conti and had some years / miles experience with DWS Extreme Contact on my rwd Infiniti G35 coupe. Amazing results in Colorado snow considering rear 2 wheels driven and I'm too lazy to go dedicated snow tires. It's a fun car to challenge the winter drives as well and the Conti's as A/S were outstanding and among the highest rated A/S performance tire by end user/sport driver enthusiasts.
I had Pirelli Scopion Verde A/S Plus on my '08 CX-7 AWD and found them to be a good A/S tire that rolled smooth and quiet, good dry, comfort and wet performance, less aggressive tread for snow and ice bite but was okay.
Likely going to be a Conti or Pirelli in my near future. Vredestein Quatrac 5 is an interesting temptation but not sure of sizes yet.

Last edited:
Back