Caution - Piano Black Trim Pieces

:
19 CX-5 Signature
Just a word of caution... that super shiny piano black finish (outside b pillar, around shift lever) scratches like a bugger. Even just when washing/wiping you*ll easily cause tiny micro swirls so be super careful. My daughter has a 17 5 GT that*s really bad from using ppv car washes and the guys using their drying towels. My F150 too is pretty bad and I*m careful.

The high gloss and the position of the trim, reflecting light, really highlights the scratches too.

It does. You can recover it with polish but it*s a faff. It*s easier to be *mindful* of it where possible.

I have banned my wife from car washes where someone else cleans the interior. Came back looking worse every time. She eventually noticed and agreed I was right.

I cant wait for piano black to go out of style. Right now its in like every new car.

I have banned my wife from car washes where someone else cleans the interior. Came back looking worse every time. She eventually noticed and agreed I was right.

I can*t wait for piano black to go out of style. Right now it*s in like every new car.

Is there anything you can cover it with?

Is there anything you can cover it with?

I covered my 18 Honda Accord outside pillars with expel ultimate, no scratches, you can't even tell it's there, but I had a really good installer do it. I've seen some installation of PPF to interior parts, but again, you need a really good installer to make it look seamless

Right and the kids working at those car washes arent mindful of anything in my experience.

KBB review stated exactly that. It scratches just by looking at it.

mine B pillars are already scratched too after only 1 carwash. tried polishing but it doesnt work. Just be careful with auto cars washes.

KBB review stated exactly that. It scratches just by looking at it.

Did they actually say that, lol? I would agree. Polish and a good coat of wax will get rid of it, but they do scratch ridiculously easily.
The inside black trim on the doors and center console scratches too easily as well. I was hoping for different trim material (maybe matte black) on the new sig that could be swapped into other models.

Question for everyone...

I noticed that the Sport and Touring trims do NOT have the exterior Piano Black trim on the doors.
Instead, it is nice satin black trim that is much less likely to scratch.

So, has anyone removed the Piano Black gloss trim and replaced it with pieces from the Sport/Touring models?

Question for everyone...

I noticed that the Sport and Touring trims do NOT have the exterior Piano Black trim on the doors.
Instead, it is nice satin black trim that is much less likely to scratch.

So, has anyone removed the Piano Black gloss trim and replaced it with pieces from the Sport/Touring models?

I had thought about that (or an aftermarket maker doing something maybe in carbon fiber?) but will try to keep the piano black nice first.

The piece around the shifter would look slick in the same *whatever* wood sliver that*s on the dash.

Last edited:
Back