2019 CX-5 Reviews

My old CX-5 is great but my new CX-9 handles much better. Very flat around corners and feels wonderful when pushing through a turn. The Gen1 was fantastic but Mazda has improved their cars.

Do you Feel Alive? (naughty)

My old CX-5 is great but my new CX-9 handles much better. Very flat around corners and feels wonderful when pushing through a turn. The Gen1 was fantastic but Mazda has improved their cars.

I do look forward to actually trying one for myself so I can have a better comparison. CX-5s anyway.

I actually like to drive my wife's '17 CX5 better than my own '16 Mazda6.
The former is quieter, and G-vectoring seems to make driving more neutral (for lack of better words).
Of course, Mazda6 has better and faster cornering. No doubt about it.

I'm waiting for some DATA from a major Mag like CAR & DRIVER. I am tired of all these guesstimates. Ed

Another journalist that was up in BC for Mazda's CX-5 driving event. Even though we aren't getting raw data because there was so much snow the one thing I'm noticing is a CONSISTENT opinion of just how great the CX-5 is.
I have yet to read one bad review on the 2.5T, the improved G Vectoring, the vehicles AWD capabilities, or even on the minor interior changes they made to the car.

https://www.thegentlemanracer.com/2018/12/first-drive-mazda-cx-5.html
these guys covered SevenStock the last few years so I always look forward to his articles.

Another journalist that was up in BC for Mazda's CX-5 driving event. Even though we aren't getting raw data because there was so much snow the one thing I'm noticing is a CONSISTENT opinion of just how great the CX-5 is.
I have yet to read one bad review on the 2.5T, the improved G Vectoring, the vehicles AWD capabilities, or even on the minor interior changes they made to the car.

these guys covered SevenStock the last few years so I always look forward to his articles.

I agree that the reviews have been universally very positive. Some have really been positive and talk extensively about the new suspension modifications.

Hmm.. I like that it got a positive review, but it really seems like a lot of these reviews are phoned in. If you gave me a feature sheet and some specs, and a few hours to do some research, I could write the exact same article.

I'd like to read more about how the driver felt it performed in the inclement weather, and how the suspension changes compare to the 17-18 CX-5. Not a blanket statement like "... the Mazda exclusive G-Vectoring Control Plus (GVC Plus) and i-ACTIV All-Wheel Drive not only inspire confidence in difficult conditions like ice and snow, but it makes the average driver better through some pretty impressive technology that makes steering response more precise by adjusting engine output to shift the weight to the front tires whenever the driver turns the wheel, resulting in better stability."

Those are some nice photos, though.

Waiting for savagegeese to get his hands on it.

He reviewed the 2017 so recently though, so the 2019 might not be high on his list.

Here's the torque curve:

TC.png

source: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/12/2019-mazda-cx-5-turbo-first-drive-your-italian-alternative/

Honestly, I would suggest to just drive the car yourself.

I just want to see his review because I'm interested in the car and I find his reviews entertaining and informative.

If I drive it myself I'll end up buying one or being sad that I didnt.

This may be the best available HP-Torque graph yet since it compars 87 octane vs the 93 octane.

With 87 Octane not only does the HP flatten at 4000 RPM the torque really drops off at that point and is why I felt the turbo falls on its face in the higher RPM.

With 93 Octane HP continues a steady climb all the way to 5000 RPM while the torwue remains almost flat.

For spirited driving keepng the RPM between 4000-5500 while using 93 octane will perform much better thanks to the steady increase in HP and the extended and flattened 28lbft torque beyond 4000RPM. It will feel like much more than just 23 HP compared to the 87 octane.

Now if you don't wind out the motor passed 4000 RPM then 87 octane and the cost savings is you best bet.

So does anyone know if the ECU in the Mazdas learns driving habits and adjust fuel trims accordingly? I know my Z06 will do this.

This may be the best available HP-Torque graph yet since it compars 87 octane vs the 93 octane.

With 87 Octane not only does the HP flatten at 4000 RPM the torque really drops off at that point and is why I felt the turbo falls on its face in the higher RPM.

With 93 Octane HP continues a steady climb all the way to 5000 RPM while the torwue remains almost flat.

For spirited driving keepng the RPM between 4000-5500 while using 93 octane will perform much better thanks to the steady increase in HP and the extended and flattened 28lbft torque beyond 4000RPM. It will feel like much more than just 23 HP compared to the 87 octane.

Now if you don't wind out the motor passed 4000 RPM then 87 octane and the cost savings is you best bet.

So does anyone know if the ECU in the Mazdas learns driving habits and adjust fuel trims accordingly? I know my Z06 will do this.

Yes it does learn trims (and trans). In fact If I reset my battery I can get some knarly braaps for the first few miles of learning.

Yes it does learn trims (and trans). In fact If I reset my battery I can get some knarly braaps for the first few miles of learning.

And that's what sucks as this is my wife's car and it will have shity fuel trims for when i drive it...LOL

As far as the TCM I assume manual shift will override any stored info but what about putting it into sport mode? Will it also ignored saved data?

So has anyone here filled a 2.5T CX-5 with premium and wound it up yet? Impressions?

Mu wife is still on the first tank of fuel from the dealer. I have instructed her to use top tier premuin when she get fuel. Although today's engines dont require much break in time the trans/diff and the rest of driveline should be broken in over the course of 1000 miles. Although I will push it when I get a chance to drive it I won't be in testing mode until a 1000 miles. But at least the power curves look good for the 93 octane. I'm betting the ECM is pulling timing on 87 octane over 4000 RPM.

Back