brakes upgrade

I don't think they would have done the calculations to be honest.
Users who have installed this have reported much better braking but it's a "by the seat of the pants" comment

Sounds like you are probably best of waiting for a factory upgrade from Mazda.

I don't think Mazda, is ever going to give me what I'm looking for (performance braking). It will probably have to be custom like yours. But, I would want to get it as dialed-in as possible which requires knowing how much braking force to apply front/rear based on weight shift - probably inside a 0.1g to 1g envelop would suffice. In something like an SUV with its higher CG, that weight shift to the front axle could be considerable. This is one of the reasons why people end up replacing their "custom" front brakes (pads and rotors) sooner than they would have replaced their old stock parts after doing a "custom" job.

Six calipers up front. Are they running the same number of calipers in the rear?

I don't think they would have done the calculations to be honest.
Users who have installed this have reported much better braking but it's a "by the seat of the pants" comment

Sounds like you are probably best of waiting for a factory upgrade from Mazda.

I don't think Mazda, is ever going to give me what I'm looking for (performance braking). It will probably have to be custom like yours. But, I would want to get it as dialed-in as possible which requires knowing how much braking force to apply front/rear based on weight shift - probably inside a 0.1g to 1g envelop would suffice. In something like an SUV with its higher CG, that weight shift to the front axle could be considerable. This is one of the reasons why people end up replacing their "custom" front brakes (pads and rotors) sooner than they would have replaced their old stock parts after doing a "custom" job.

Six calipers up front. Are they running the same number of calipers in the rear? I like the look.

Six calipers up front. Are they running the same number of calipers in the rear? I like the look.
4 pot rears

PB brakes

hey all, if anyone has some info regarding an upgrade on rotors calipers and pads, pls let me know I'm willing to upgrade these.
regards and thanks in advance
M

Dear all, just to let you know that PB brakes already has big brakes kits for the cx9, they seem quite fine to me, I will be purchasing the front 356 or 380mm ones and let you know how they go . any opinions regarding how big is the limit for the cx9 on 20 inch wheels?

http://pbbrakes.com/brake-kits/mazda/cx-9/mazda-cx-9-16-up-front-big-brake-kit.html

Big brake kits with drilled rotors are stupid. You are compromising the strength of the floating rotor particularly in the winter (when they break often) and you need to get brakes like that nice and hot before optimal performance. So a panick stop on the highway after a long stretch of using no brakes, be prepared to s*** yourself.

Yes, the brakes will perform well once you get some proper heat in them, but that’s not an ideal attribute for a daily driven vehicle. Based on my experience with brakes (and if Anchorman the brake expert chimes in I’m sure he will agree) that the best all around brake, whether you are conservative or very aggressive with your braking is German OEM equipment. So anything that comes OEM on an Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc such as Zimmerman rotors and textar pads will offer you very strong yet smooth braking performance. If you can get sufficient ventilation to the front rotors, they are track worthy.

Big brake kits with drilled rotors are stupid. You are compromising the strength of the floating rotor particularly in the winter (when they break often) and you need to get brakes like that nice and hot before optimal performance. So a panick stop on the highway after a long stretch of using no brakes, be prepared to s*** yourself.

Yes, the brakes will perform well once you get some proper heat in them, but thats not an ideal attribute for a daily driven vehicle. Based on my experience with brakes (and if Anchorman the brake expert chimes in Im sure he will agree) that the best all around brake, whether you are conservative or very aggressive with your braking is German OEM equipment. So anything that comes OEM on an Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc such as Zimmerman rotors and textar pads will offer you very strong yet smooth braking performance. If you can get sufficient ventilation to the front rotors, they are track worthy.

True that the integrity of the rotor can be compromised by the drilling, unless you buy with no drills..seems like that will solve the problem on the other hand, the sopping power on cold rotors does not depend on the rotor but does with the pads u use and their coefficient of friction, you have to be really silly to put racing pads on a street car only then you will experience what you say about having to heat the brakes.

The true advantage of big brakes is how fast they cool down and their ability to dissipate heat, seems you have never over heated your brakes in a mountain road or ona highspeed highway. I think no one will intend to get a CX9 on the track but this SUV has the ability to manage verygood performance in curvy mountain roads and highspeed highways, and in my opinion the only thing that does not catch up to that sort of driving and performace are the breaks.

True that the integrity of the rotor can be compromised by the drilling, unless you buy with no drills..seems like that will solve the problem on the other hand, the sopping power on cold rotors does not depend on the rotor but does with the pads u use and their coefficient of friction, you have to be really silly to put racing pads on a street car only then you will experience what you say about having to heat the brakes.

The true advantage of big brakes is how fast they cool down and their ability to dissipate heat, seems you have never over heated your brakes in a mountain road or ona highspeed highway. I think no one will intend to get a CX9 on the track but this SUV has the ability to manage verygood performance in curvy mountain roads and highspeed highways, and in my opinion the only thing that does not catch up to that sort of driving and performace are the breaks.

correct. it is dependent on what sort of pad you are using, not the rotor itself. I like slotted rotors because the slots help keep brake dust away from the actual mating surface which is good, but they are still weaker than plain discs. To help with this problem, I pressure wash inside the rims to get all the brake dust out, as this really helps make the braking effort alot smoother and stronger.

I have Textar pads on my BMW, and even those pads require a tiny bit of warming up before full braking potential is achieved. you can feel it. for this reason I don't recommend going any more aggressive than german OEM equipment, that's plenty aggressive even for the spirited driver.

Yes, I have managed to overheat brakes before a couple times. It smelled horrible, the car barely stopped, and you need to put your brakes through one f*ck of a beating for them to even get close to overheating, so I am not too concerned about that. all you really need to prevent this is sufficient ventilation to the front rotors. that will be just fine in a mountain charge type situation where you are getting plenty of fresh cool air to the front discs. now if you are talking about Mazda's OEM brakes, the rotors are s***. I am not sure what sort of pads your CX-9 has, but I am sure it is a similar situation as with my Mazda 6, where the rotors are bad, but the pads are quite good. you will warp these rotors long, long before you feel them start to overheat. I have had lots of experience testing different brakes, from Japanese OEM to German OEM, and all I can say is that if you equip your CX-9 with some quality German brakes and still manage to somehow warp them or overheat your brakes, I will personally mail you a set of replacement rotors. one thing I really like about the Textar brakes on my BMW - while the brake dust is atrocious, you suffer from constantly cleaning your front rims for a damn good reason. the German brakes are purposely made from this dusty material that literally massages your rotors and makes them nice and shiny. this dusty material is much easier on your rotors and help them to last longer. even the most conservative driver will find a benefit in using German OEM equipment.

if you go up and look at my older post, I provided a link to a Brake thread I made where Anchorman went into detail about why he recommends German OEM. I strongly suggest you give that thread a thorough read. During my time over on the BMW forums, I was told that German OEM brakes are literally track worthy as long as you got enough ventilation and some high performance brake fluid. they are damn near impossible to overheat - I only feel them become stronger and smoother after getting some real heat into them. They feel resilient and more smooth than Mazda's OEM material.

Last edited:
I have had some pretty good results with Hawk brake pads - specifically HPS, LTS and 5.0 models.
Some people find them a bit noisy but i never had this issue if i bed them properly. I have used them on my Lexus GX470 (well known for "warped rotors) and my Audi B8 S4. Never had a warped rotor.

I have had the Hawk LTS on my Lexus for the last 23k miles and the braking is super smooth and strong. No vibration, no noise, and little/some dust.
The Hawk 5.0 were on my S4 for 20k+ miles as well - not a single issue and the only reason i removed them is because i went with Brembo BBK.

The Hawk LTS pads can be bought for the Mazda CX-9.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Give them a try. My CX-9 has only 9k miles and the stock pads are OK so far. As soon as they disappoint me, i am switching to the Hawks.
Disk warping is blamed on bad pad material, not bad disk. Brake pad material, when poor quality, builds up on the rotors and they become "bumpy". They are no warped. They just need to be scrubbed/cleaned by a better, more aggressive brake pad and all is good.

Back