New 2017 CX-5 Revealed

Padded armrest and knee rest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Power lift gate.
Like my toddler would say "The End".

Standing on one foot while carring a heavy load?
Its a gimmick, just something to sell more cars, Kuga has had one for years now.

Here is where a power lift gate is very handy: Picture hauling around boxes and bags, some paper or cardboard, during a rainstorm that need to be stowed in the cargo area. Without a power liftgate, where do you place your items to free up your hand to open the liftgate? In the middle of a puddle in one inch of water? This happens to me on a monthly basis (I live in a temperate rain forest). If you live in a desert/dry area, then a power liftgate might not make sense.

With the power liftgate, preferably one with foot activation, you are free to place items in the cargo area directly. This is why my next car will have one.

Here is where a power lift gate is very handy: Picture hauling around boxes and bags, some paper or cardboard, during a rainstorm that need to be stowed in the cargo area. Without a power liftgate, where do you place your items to free up your hand to open the liftgate? In the middle of a puddle in one inch of water? This happens to me on a monthly basis (I live in a temperate rain forest). If you live in a desert/dry area, then a power liftgate might not make sense.

With the power liftgate, preferably one with foot activation, you are free to place items in the cargo area directly. This is why my next car will have one.

As the CX-5 doesn't currently have power lift gate what do you once a month when you're in this situation?

Hi. Power lift gate was not on my list of desires for the new CX-5. But to have a 360 degree surround cameras, like Nissan X-trail / Qashqai have, was on my list and I am a little disappointed. Also, to have the Self Parking Assist would have been nice.

Here's some Photoshopping I did to put the current GT wheels on the upcoming 2017 to see if it makes it look better. Which it does, but it still overall looks like an old Ford Edge to me.

3Xpj16O.jpg

TSa1Xlf.jpg

Read 10 pages. I'm not drooling over this either. I don't like the new headlights, hate the screen on the dash and those chrome vents. Love the rear vents and reclining seats.
Nope, don't regret my purchase. These features, and more will be around on my 2021 CX5. God willing. :D

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

To Kaps:

This is why some folks don't like to contribute to a board like this. I make a perfectly reasonable observation, based on my own experience hauling around lots of stuff for work, and this reply is the result. I happen to find the power liftgate to be a great option for me. Maybe it isn't for you...sorry to have offended you so much that you felt it necessary to mock a perfectly reasonable observation. How sad...

Last edited:
If you need it, get it, that is OK.
I'm just saying, that every store has carts. Why would you carry something in your hands?

I'm anti auto liftgates, too. But if you like it, it's all good.

To Kaps:

This is why some folks don't like to contribute to a board like this. I make a perfectly reasonable observation, based on my own experience hauling around lots of stuff for work, and this reply is the result. I happen to find the power liftgate to be a great option for me. Maybe it isn't for you...sorry to have offended you so much that you felt it necessary to mock a perfectly reasonable observation. How sad...
Chill dude and enjoy the forum.
I don't contribute much technically here. Will excuse myself from liftgate and Android auto discussions.

I'm anti auto liftgates, too. But if you like it, it's all good.

+1
I do not want a car with an auto liftgate.

you can't "stuff" things at all with an auto liftgate because it'll not shut.
Nothing quite as annoying as a liftgate that won't shut (especially in the rain) because some sensor determines that the blanket you stuffed in the back can't be crushed a little.
Also..
A few months back I saw a lady pulling out on a main road (on her way to the airport??) with a suitcase about to fall out the back of her automatic lift gate equipped Subaru outback.
I hope she noticed before her belongings got smashed on the road! This could have happened with a standard liftgate too.. but not nearly as easily.

Omg YES. Exactly that. Dude totally summed up how I feel about them. Click....And wait.... No... Screw that.
I would not buy a car because of that. One reason I passed on the CR-V.

To Kaps:

I am with you. The lack of a power lift gate gives the car a "cheap" feel.

To Kaps:

Hi sylva/Kaps

I hope the way forward is that Mazda make the powered liftgate a cost option so those who want it can have it and those that don't, don't. My views have already been expressed in a previous post on this thread.

Regards all(hi)

Jonno21

If you need it, get it, that is OK.
I'm just saying, that every store has carts. Why would you carry something in your hands?

Because that's what many people like myself do. We have enough muscle mass than an 80# back of dog food isn't a burden, and we would rather walk out to the vehicle ONCE instead of having to return a cart to the store, because we are busy, have stuff to do, and aren't the kind of slobs that leave the cart in the middle of the parking lot. A lift-gate makes this easier/simpler. That said, I will typically 1-hand an item like the dog-food over a shoulder or something and handle the hatch, but sometimes you might have a bag with a box of eggs in it in that "free" hand, and a lift gate is just infinitely useful and sensible if it's available as an option.

That said, all this babble about "luxury" and now we have people debating the added cost of a little motorized servo. This is why Mazda is an economy brand and will never be "luxury". Nor does it need to be. We need cheap get-arounds as much as we need nice tourers.

Back