2017~2024 Snowfalke White Pearl Mica touch up paint

:
CX5 GT
Hello

Wondering if anyone has tried the OEM touch up paint (code 25D) on a 2018.

I have a small chip (tad more than 1/16 in) in the rear passenger door and wanted to touch it up
Tried the OEM pen and its color match just doesn't seem right.
The pen is labeled 25D/26G
Sure shook it enough
Didnt like the color match, wiped it off for now.

Non OEM sites list 25D as Snowflake Pearl Tricoat or something similar vs Snowfalke White Pearl Mica

To be honest the color swatches I see on non OEM paint sites is closer to what I saw in the tube from the dealer :)

Anyone else see this?

What is the best option for small chips in the true color?

Thanks

I fell into this trap. Every site claims that the change in paint code doesn't matter, but it absolutely does. The new version of Snowflake White Pearl Mica doesn't match the old. The touch-up paint ends up looking darker, more of a silver or light grey color against it.

My paint is chipping at such an alarming rate I just gave up and used it anyway. The whole front of the car is very quickly losing its looks either way, so I figured rust prevention should be the primary concern.

thanks for the reply. I've had mine since May and so far the hood and other parts in the front don't have any chips I can see. Guess we'll see what the NE winter brings.
It is disheartening that Mazda charges extra for paint colors that have problems. A little soured on that as I'm sure people with the Soul Red are too.

I think both paint chipping and some of the interior trim and seat issues people have mentioned are pretty contained to the 2017. Teething problems since it was the first year for the new design. Mazda is a smaller company with limited resources and these things didn't get caught in time but I think they have been fixing them quietly for the 2018 and 2019 production runs.

I did hear an interesting story about the process used to re-paint Mazdas that have tri-coat or pearl coat paints. Apparently it is more complex than a normal re-paint job and actually involves 3 painting steps. The 2nd step includes a sanding step which sounds like it affects adhesion of the final paint layer quite a bit. It could be they didn't have this process fine tuned at first at the factory which led to paint that chips more easily.

I fell into this trap. Every site claims that the change in paint code doesn't matter, but it absolutely does. The new version of Snowflake White Pearl Mica doesn't match the old. The touch-up paint ends up looking darker, more of a silver or light grey color against it.

My paint is chipping at such an alarming rate I just gave up and used it anyway. The whole front of the car is very quickly losing its looks either way, so I figured rust prevention should be the primary concern.

Did you use an OEM paint pen? I'd probably rather look into a system kit like Dr. color Chip or the Lanka kit.

Did you use an OEM paint pen? I'd probably rather look into a system kit like Dr. color Chip or the Lanka kit.

Yes, it was the Mazda OEM paint pen. Front ends don't look new for long anyway, and I had other paint related issues from the moment I bought the car so I just decided to live with the light grey spots that are slowly making their way onto my hood.

Back