Leather Seat - Is this normal?

Heres an example of a 2017 CX-5 whose bottom leather trim got replaced under warranty due to the similar issue on seating surface.

Had the work done, here are the details:
Before Photo:

View attachment 218786

After Photo:

View attachment 218785

Work Order Details (French)

View attachment 218784

Translated to English:

CUSTOMER MENTIONS TO CHECK AIR BUBBLE ON LEATHER DRIVER SEAT, VERIFY BOTTOM LEATHER TRIM FROM DRIVER SIDE, IT MAKES A BUBBLE. DID A FLASH TECH NO 65062. ORDER THE LEATHER TRIM AND LEFT FRONT BOTTOM CUSHION. replace buttock leather and foam buttocks. The old one had to be dismounted to put a pin in front so that the leather could hold on the buttocks and transfer a foam to the side of the buttocks.

Yes, there*s a different TSB replacing the wrinkled leather seating surface including the side bolsters. See my previous post.

Thanks,

I missed that.

Any idea where the published TSBs are? I found the numbers, and want to read the details. I thought there was a site that let us log in as a "casual mechanic".

I just checked mine and I have some creasing on the side above the power seat buttons as well. Not as much but it is there.

IMHO it is normal.

The leather having a wrinkled look is due to the material under the seat changing form from being sat on.

The foam under the leather compresses and the leather conforms to the new shape of the foam.

Its not really an issue with the leather, but whats underneath. Happens to most every car.

The leather having a wrinkled look is due to the material under the seat changing form from being sat on.

The foam under the leather compresses and the leather conforms to the new shape of the foam.

Its not really an issue with the leather, but whats underneath. Happens to most every car.
This definitely does not happen to most every car. As I said before there's no such issues on gen-1 CX-5. The leather seats in my 2000 BMW 528i and 2001.5 VW Passat do not have such issue either!

This definitely does not happen to most every car. As I said before there's no such issues on gen-1 CX-5. The leather seats in my 2000 BMW 528i and 2001.5 VW Passat do not have such issue either!

How can you speak on behalf of all G1 CX-5s, 2000 BMW 528is and 2001.5 VW Passats? You can only speak for your own.

After a quick google search:

2013-14 Mazda CX-5
2014-Mazda-CX-5-front-seats.jpg

gallery_used-car-carlist-mazda-cx-5-skyactiv-g-suv-malaysia_2525672_cd4808615534924960525_v1sm.jpg

2000 BMW 528i
a9aec1edad_640.jpg

c59ce4ff5a_1024.jpg

2001.5 VW Passat
large5.jpg

BF13881_17.jpg

1006788562.jpg

Of course, the wear varies depending on mileage and owner habits, but you can see that it does happen to most seats.

Last edited:

I agree (it happens after many miles, not in days) - and the seat bubble on the newer CX-5 was there since almost day 1, nothing had a chance to change. And if it did change based seating the leather would stretch down, not up.

Its normal. That part of the seat gets scrunched every time you get in/out of the car, so its similar to the creases that develop on leather shoes. Use leather conditioner frequently to help. It can get pretty bad otherwise.

This is your answer, and it was posted on the first page. It does seem too early for it to be "bubbling" that much, but again, it all depends on how you exit/enter the car (and to a lesser degree, the workmanship of that particular seat). Take it to the dealer, complain, and see what they can do. IMO, its normal wear and tear, but I would still talk to someone to see if I can get it taken care of, especially with it being only a year old.

How can you speak on behalf of all G1 CX-5s, 2000 BMW 528is and 2001.5 VW Passats? You can only speak for your own.

Of course, the wear varies depending on mileage and owner habits, but you can see that it does happen to most seats.
Ha you're comparing apples and oranges. This wrinkled leather problem are happening on a 12K-mile or even brand-new CX-5, and you're posting those which may have 120K miles or more for comparison? We'd never seen any complaints of this during gen-1 CX-5 era, but now we've seen so many on gen-2 CX-5.

The release of a TSB from Mazda speaks for itself, there's a problem on these leather seats!

Over time, yes it will. Ive seen it in hundreds of vehicles over the years. Some are better than others.

Ha you're comparing apples and oranges. This wrinkled leather problem are happening on a 12K-mile or even brand-new CX-5, and you're posting those which may have 120K miles or more for comparison? We'd never seen any complaints of this during gen-1 CX-5 era, but now we've seen so many on gen-2 CX-5.

The release of a TSB from Mazda speaks for itself, there's a problem on these leather seats!

The TSB was for the bubble forming on the seat bottom. It seems to be the seat cushion is also replaced.

The other photos of side bolsters wrinkling are due to flattening of the bolster. Thats not a leather issue, thats a physical bolster issue of them flattening out. It happened to my 2013 CX-5.

The TSB was for the bubble forming on the seat bottom. It seems to be the seat cushion is also replaced.

The other photos of side bolsters wrinkling are due to flattening of the bolster. That's not a leather issue, that*s a physical bolster issue of them flattening out. It happened to my 2013 CX-5.
Seat bottom includes blosters, period. The leather wrinkling problems on seat bottom are related including the bolsters.

And we're discussing these issues on gen-2 CX-5's which are farely new or brand new. In your theory their bolsters are flattening out already at this stage? Were your seat bolsters flattened out in 2013 or 2014?

Over time, yes it will. I*ve seen it in hundreds of vehicles over the years. Some are better than others.

7 years/ 50k miles in and it's starting to become noticeable in our 2012 4Runner's leather. I just figure it's normal wear from getting in and out of the car.

Heh, Did we just notice another downside to all these CUVs? The seating is so high that people blow through the driver's side seat bolsters.

Last edited:
Such a fuss over some wrinkling!

My seat is the same on a 2014 GT. Not a big deal and most likely was like that for years. Means nothing and just more evidence that we are a world full of pussies.

Last edited:
It's normal use. These seats are not designed like leather armchairs in your lounge

Every leather upholstered vehicle I have owned has shown visible wear of this kind within the first few thousand miles. It's totally normal. Leather, even when partially synthetic, behaves and breathes like skin/hide and will stretch and crease. There is going to be a certain degree of memory effect, for the same reason you get wrinkles on your face when you age. Purely synthetic materials can prevent this because they are engineered to be more malleable and have no memory effect. Any real leather content will come with all of the shortcomings associated with something that was once living breathing cells.

I'm amazed Mazda felt they had to issue a TSB for the bubble issue too. I've seen this in many leather seats as the material is stretched out from a driver sitting in it. If the leather does *not* stretch then what would likely happen is stitching would tear or fail.

They probably did the TSB as a preemptive strike - before complaints come in

Every leather upholstered vehicle I have owned has shown visible wear of this kind within the first few thousand miles. It's totally normal. Leather, even when partially synthetic, behaves and breathes like skin/hide and will stretch and crease. There is going to be a certain degree of memory effect, for the same reason you get wrinkles on your face when you age. Purely synthetic materials can prevent this because they are engineered to be more malleable and have no memory effect. Any real leather content will come with all of the shortcomings associated with something that was once living breathing cells.

I'm amazed Mazda felt they had to issue a TSB for the bubble issue too. I've seen this in many leather seats as the material is stretched out from a driver sitting in it. If the leather does *not* stretch then what would likely happen is stitching would tear or fail.
All the reasons you said about the wrinkled leather are not applicable to OP's case, as that wrinkled part is not leather, but synthetic leatherette! Strangely this 12K-mile leather seat does not have any issues as you mentioned it should happen within the first few thousand miles on seating surface which is actually leather.

Again, there's a reason why Mazda issued a TSB which simply means there's a problem on gen-2 leather seats, or there won't be a one.

16la106.jpg

Is this normal for 12k miles on a 17GT? What do your side bolsters look like?

They probably did the TSB as a preemptive strike - before complaints come in

I think the TSB bubble in seat is from after complaints. This is not about wrinkles in the bolster or side.

They have no fix yet, and I really believe it was there when i bought the car, i just didn't notice for a few weeks. I think they had a run of leather seats that are slightly out of spec. The TSB shows the seat with a bubble. It supersedes previous TSB and says not to attempt a repair yet.

And it can apply to either seat - so it is unlikely driver wear.

Back