US Diesel's big splash introduction

Getting confirmed approval and producing thousands of vehicles in Japan and shipping them half way around the world and getting them out across North America to all the dealers in time for May would seem to be optimistic. IMO that points to the vehicles already at least built and being shipped, if not here already.

The dealer told me this process takes 2 months from approval date
We don't know when it was approved

Also we don't know about the pricing yet
If the price is higher than the gas model by more than 4 years of gas saving ($2k), I'll cross it out from my list
I'm not in love with Mazda, or any brand
I move to whatever car that gives me best value for money

I'll be glad when it is introduced and then this thread can be closed(naughty) We can have a new thread titled "US Diesel Hands On Experience - Like or Dislike"

Someone should sign up and see what if any notifications they receive

I'm not actively shopping for a diesel CX-5, but, as I'm in Canada and a Mazda owner, I signed up for the notifications anyway.
We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
I signed up on the USA site months ago.... no messages yet.

Yeah, I did to, it was explicitly for the diesel CX-5. No messages for months until they started sending me messages about the 2018 Mazda 6. That really pissed me off.

Yeah, I did to, it was explicitly for the diesel CX-5. No messages for months until they started sending me messages about the 2018 Mazda 6. That really pissed me off.

Same thing with me.... the USA's "The CX5 Is Coming - Sign Up for Updates" web page has been there for at least four months. In this four months, I've gotten one email which had absolutely NOTHING to do with the CX-5. VERY poor form and makes me less likely to get a CX-5 diesel if/when it ever gets here.

- Mark

Same thing with me.... the USA's "The CX5 Is Coming - Sign Up for Updates" web page has been there for at least four months. In this four months, I've gotten one email which had absolutely NOTHING to do with the CX-5. VERY poor form and makes me less likely to get a CX-5 diesel if/when it ever gets here.

- Mark

I signed up for that on June 3rd, 2017! And like you, I don't have a single update from them.

Doesn't sound too promising for the US Diesel when posts like this are showing up in Europe & Australia:

Hi Guys ... wondering how many of you have had issues or engine replacements with your CX5 2.2 diesel. I recently had an issue with mine and when I took it to the dealer they said it was probably a blown motor coz they've had a few... hmmmm mine is an 2015 make... wondering if they were referring to the older models.

As it was it was a minor issue that they corrected... but now I'm worried about the long term viabilty of my much loved CX5 after the warantee runs out in 6 months.

Any comments welcome ! PS. car has 60000km on it and had an easy life with lots of country driving.

They are a troublesome motor. We replace 1 at our dealership about every two weeks.

Back