Email back from Mazda - Transmission Fluid Change

Well guess I am no closer to figuring this all out. My head is spinning. (drunk)

Do you keep the engine running when you measure the ATF? With air box out I can see it'd be easier but with engine running without air filter?

I guess comparing to ATF change on my Honda CR-V, where nothing needs to be removed and I pour in exactly 3.1 qt. of fresh ATF and done, this's a pretty complicated process to me! Or may be I'm just getting too old for this ⋯ ;)

Yes, keep engine running, if you go underneath you don't need to disconnect the air box- don't like that idea anyway and I'm not sure it would run good if you had to disconnect the harness. I checked the level on my other CX5, for temperature I used a coolant thermometer, the old kind that looks like a turkey thermometer, that used to be inserted into the radiator neck to check when thermostats open, matched it up with my IR gun. Just make sure you have the parking brake on and the wheels chocked.

Last edited:
Well guess I am no closer to figuring this all out. My head is spinning. (drunk)

If I were you, and you really want it serviced, I would pay to have it done. I say this because it sounds like you're learning on your own, without someone helping (rather using YouTube videos instead).

However, if you're really inclined to further your "self maintenance learning journey", start with replacing the rear differential fluid. If you feel that was relatively easy, then go ahead and attempt the tranny.

If I were you, and you really want it serviced, I would pay to have it done.

However, if you're really inclined to further your "self maintenance learning journey", start with replacing the rear differential fluid. If you feel that was relatively easy, then go ahead and attempt the tranny.

Haha that is a good way to put it.

I am going to try to do my rear diff job myself. But the transmission for now I am leaning toward getting it done.

Just a lot of the posts about draining and filling and running the engine a certain way and checking the dipstick, don't overfill.

Just seems a little more intimidating to me is all.

By comparison the rear diff seems like an oil change albeit, filling it a bit differently.

Just a lot of the posts about draining and filling and running the engine a certain way and checking the dipstick, don't overfill.

Just seems a little more intimidating to me is all.

By comparison the rear diff seems like an oil change albeit, filling it a bit differently.

Ahh, I thought you were implying the tranny service seemed easier than the diff.

Ahh, I thought you were implying the tranny service seemed easier than the diff.

Ohhhhh...nope, other way around LOL!

For now I'll get the tranny service done somewhere and do the diff myself.

I know a guy that can do the tranny, just need to make sure he uses the right fluid or else price out at the dealers.

you know what's funny? i just got a survey from Infiniti asking me if I was pleased with their answers regarding my transmission's non-maintenance schedule. not sure if I'm gonna take it or not....

you know what's funny? i just got a survey from Infiniti asking me if I was pleased with their answers regarding my transmission's non-maintenance schedule. not sure if I'm gonna take it or not....

(rofl)

Yeah, same canned really non-answer as Mazda.

If you like to do maintenance on your vehicle by yourself and save money, read this thread from How-To section:

ATF Drain/Fill

Therere plenty of info with videos and pictures. Make sure to read post #98 by tomcat1446 (miss his excellent write-ups) as he showed the best way to access the ATF dipstick in detail!

If your head starts to calm down after all the readings, I believe you can do at least ATF drain-and-fill without too much issues. If I were you Id do it twice or three time as your ATF is a bit older.

If you like to do maintenance on your vehicle by yourself and save money, read this thread from How-To section:

ATF Drain/Fill

There’re plenty of info with videos and pictures. Make sure to read post #98 by tomcat1446 (miss his excellent write-ups) as he showed the best way to access the ATF dipstick in detail!

If your head starts to calm down after all the readings, I believe you can do at least ATF drain-and-fill without too much issues. If I were you I’d do it twice or three time as your ATF is a bit older.

Thanks yrwei! (thumb)

Are you not familiar with VW's screw up with DieselGate?

Yes, they doped the tune for the sake of passing EPA, which allowed them to have solid performance, fuel economy, etc. of course, while not meeting new EPA guidelines.
Am I missing/misunderstanding?

Are you not familiar with VW's screw up with DieselGate?
I guess Unobtanium meant since your Jetta TDI was excellent on torque and fuel economy, why couldn't you keep driving it? Was it because the offer of buy-back from VW is too good to refuse?

Thanks yrwei! (thumb)
Read official Mazda ATF replacement instruction just reposted by Anchorman in this ATF Drain/Fill thread. You'll find the ATF replacement is not that complicate after all.

And this official ATF replacement instruction doesn't mention anything about taking the pan down and replacing the filter cartridge inside.

Back