2019 CX-5 2.5L vs. 2.5T

Ah yea and the Cayman is the one I want too. (Though I wouldn*t turn away a Macan as a daily). The bit about the number plates was crazy! I just had to pay $100 to not have a front plate.

Porsche .... there is no substitute! (drive) You should definitely go test drive one but be careful ... they are extremely addictive!

[video]https://app.box.com/s/h0nloqgzm1nxrvmnd6viffn527va3nb6[/video]

This is after I had it tinted and PPF'd (Paint Protection Film) added to it.

Last edited:
Always wanted a Porsche when I was younger and finally bought a CPO followed by a new one a year later.

My '15 Cayman GTS (bought new) the day I brought it home:

27668626592_941d6a63ae_k.jpg

Ha, both suit me. I'll routinely do 70-75 on the freeways around here, especially when overtaking. Oh well, the local dealer is right next to an on-ramp, so I'll give 'em both a whirl.

If you go for a FWD - make sure you get good tires always - I went to Altimax GTs which are ok on all fronts but 2nd time I might go with something having more grip. Gen1 struggles to put power down after 70-75 mph. The power band drops off drastically. Good ties + FWD or AWD mitigate it to an extent and ofcourse Gen2 is not bloated as Gen1 was - that helps with wind resistance too.

Another thing to look at:
FWD: 3541lbs
AWD: 3679lbs
AWD Turbo: 3825lbs

The weight and drivetrain loss from AWD will make it a disadvantage using the same engine. The AWD model has a shorter final drive ratio to make up for this, but the FWD still seems to post better 0-60 times.
The weight will also affect the handling. Think of where the added weight is on each trim, and you can guess how it will affect it.

Where do you need the fast acceleration? In city driving? Below 55 mph? If so, yes the 2.5L would be fast enough.

Above a certain speed, like above 60 mph, the acceleration is not fast enough for the 2.5L engine. You can compensate with Sport mode as I do, but if the speed limit is 70 mph on the highway and everyone is in a rush, you will find the 2.5L engine not fast enough.

I've not had that impression at all, in fact, from a 60mph roll this thing is a beast compared to its 0-60. Took down a V6 mustang multiple times 60-110. Looked to be an '05 or something. Not the fastest, but c'mon.

Another thing to look at:
FWD: 3541lbs
AWD: 3679lbs
AWD Turbo: 3825lbs

The weight and drivetrain loss from AWD will make it a disadvantage using the same engine. The AWD model has a shorter final drive ratio to make up for this, but the FWD still seems to post better 0-60 times.
The weight will also affect the handling. Think of where the added weight is on each trim, and you can guess how it will affect it.

So far the AWD holds the fastest 0-60 time of 7.6 seconds.

When I test drove mine last week I was shocked at the low end torque and mid range punch. If money isn't a huge factor I can't see why you wouldn't go for it. Power fixes everything. :)

I test drove a turbo and non-turbo today for the first time. I was impressed with the turbo. Very strong and smooth - at least as good as my BMW X1. I can really see this car having a cult following down the line.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the non-turbo. It is way stronger than I expected for daily driving. Biggest downside is the brief delay when you punch it.

So all things considered, I think my choice of CX-5 trims would hinge on features (ventilated seats, etc.) rather than the engine. Just my two cents.

The non turbo is no slouch. I don't understand the "lack of power" some feel it has. Punch at higher speeds? Sure. But it has adequate power in my opinion.

The non turbo is no slouch. I don't understand the "lack of power" some feel it has. Punch at higher speeds? Sure. But it has adequate power in my opinion.

Adequate, yes, but the turbo model is a ringer for a stock 2019 manual wrx....thats kinda fun vs. "Adequate ".

I test drove a turbo and non-turbo today for the first time. I was impressed with the turbo. Very strong and smooth - at least as good as my BMW X1. I can really see this car having a cult following down the line.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the non-turbo. It is way stronger than I expected for daily driving. Biggest downside is the brief delay when you punch it.

So all things considered, I think my choice of CX-5 trims would hinge on features (ventilated seats, etc.) rather than the engine. Just my two cents.

It doesn't like to be punched, uppercutted, or "hadokened"...but does like to be jabbed 20%.

It doesn't like to be punched, uppercutted, or "hadokened"...but does like to be jabbed 20%.

I used punch too liberally. I have a pretty light foot. Generally found a delay in the throttle response. Not awful, just noticeable.

Last edited:
Back