High Mileage CX-5s - report in

As of this morning....252,553 miles on a 2014 Grand Touring with AWD.
please forgive me, but i have no clue how to add the pic to the post.

4 posts? Oh wait busy driving :)

Man you should chime in more. You're like the OG...triple OG around here.

The 2013-2016.5 CX-5 does not have tire pressure sensors. (wink)

i can't speak about the 2013-2015 but my 2016 touring definitely had tire pressure sensors. i know this because in the winter the light would come on, i called my dealer and they said it was normal in cold weather but it didn't go away, i brought it in and I had a nail in the tire. they patched it up, filled tire, the light went away. happened again after I ran over something else. they were doing a lot of construction during that time where i lived =x

Prior to 2017, CX-5 used ABS-based TPMS. No valve stem sensors!

Thanks Paul! You beat me to it.

That is right, there are no tire valve stem sensors in the Pre-2017 TPMS.

Instead, it uses the ABS wheel speed sensors, and a lot of math, to determine if a tires rolling diameter has suddenly changed.

We've had posts showing failures around 60k, too, due to defect.

Eventually they'll all fail as every mechanical device must, but most of the premature failures have been pretty early (< 15k). I can only think of one post that was near end of drivetrain warranty and Mazda took care of him IIRC.

1st post is a REALLY long time.. Previous Speed6 owner.. Anywhoo.. 2013 CX-5 167k miles. Its our tank- we take it everywhere!! Question- anyone else notice really hard downshifts at higher speeds? Every once in a while the trans "Bangs" into gear when going around 80mph and downshifting in order to pass or keep with the flow of traffic.. Never see it happening with normal around town type driving..

1st post is a REALLY long time.. Previous Speed6 owner.. Anywhoo.. 2013 CX-5 167k miles. Its our tank- we take it everywhere!! Question- anyone else notice really hard downshifts at higher speeds? Every once in a while the trans "Bangs" into gear when going around 80mph and downshifting in order to pass or keep with the flow of traffic.. Never see it happening with normal around town type driving..

I had that occur on our first CX-5, a 2013 model as well. It is very disconcerting, and feels like it must not be a very good thing on ANY of the transmission parts. It would occur under the same circumstances you mentioned. That 2013 also did it when backing out from a spot in reverse, and then placing into drive to go, it would sometimes freewheel and then bang into drive then as well. We only did ~36k on that CX-5 before trading for a 2015 AWD 2.5 CX-5, so I can not vouch for how that bang changes over long miles.

@stussy2870 - I remember you from 6club.

I have a 13 Touring I inherited from my wife earlier this year. It's exhibited this anomaly since new. 90K miles on it now. I believe it's related to the adaptive logic in the TCM. I don't mash it at freeway speeds very often, so when I do, it's terribly violent.

But, it seems like there were some TSBs telated to this event, which prompted the dealer to reflash the TCM logic. Not certain though. I'm sure there's a TSB list around the net somwhere.

Last edited:
I haven't see that behavior with my '15 so wonder if programming logic was different on that model year

Eventually they'll all fail as every mechanical device must, but most of the premature failures have been pretty early (< 15k). I can only think of one post that was near end of drivetrain warranty and Mazda took care of him IIRC.

My transmission was just replaced at 70k miles on my 2013 CX-5 and not covered by warranty due to it being expired. The issue was a bearing causing a high pitch whine. To me this is way to early for a new transmission. I really expected this car to last to 100k before any large repairs.

My transmission was just replaced at 70k miles on my 2013 CX-5 and not covered by warranty due to it being expired. The issue was a bearing causing a high pitch whine. To me this is way to early for a new transmission. I really expected this car to last to 100k before any large repairs.
Just hit 71k on my 2014, so far all still working and sounding good.

No auestion (seriously spell check? Couldn't figure that out? I'm leaving it to Shame you)...70k WaY WAY too early. s*** happens.

I brought in my vehicle for a TSB for an audio issue after warranty expired and dealer said TSB's are not covered under warranty - is that the case for anyone else?

Latest posts

Back