2016.5 CX5 heated seats` BUYER BEWARE

pdw50

:
2016.5 cx5 touring
I own a 2016.5 CX5 with heated seats. When I bought it last november, the seats heated up just fine - maybe even too hot. This year, only the driver's seat gets hot. the passenger seat is only slightly warm. took it to the dealer. After much discussion, dealer said that mazda tech line (for dealers) say that it is normal for passenger seat to be around 10 degrees colder than drivers seat. mine showed a 15 degree difference. - tech line said that was ok too. I found out that they changed electrical. - going from a two module (one for each seat) system to a one module (controls both seats - but doesn't work) system. This started with the 2016.5 model year. BUYER BEWARE!!! Mazda corporate customer service refuses to do anything about it. BUYER BEWARE! BUYER BEWARE!! BUYER BEWARE!!! Has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:
I own a 2016.5 CX5 with heated seats. When I bought it last november, the seats heated up just fine - maybe even too hot. This year, only the driver's seat gets hot. the passenger seat is only slightly warm. took it to the dealer. After much discussion, dealer said that mazda tech line (for dealers) say that it is normal for passenger seat to be around 10 degrees colder than drivers seat. mine showed a 15 degree difference. - tech line said that was ok too. I found out that they changed electrical. - going from a two module (one for each seat) system to a one module (controls both seats - but doesn't work) system. This started with the 2016.5 model year. BUYER BEWARE!!! Mazda corporate customer service refuses to do anything about it. BUYER BEWARE! BUYER BEWARE!! BUYER BEWARE!!! Has anyone else had this problem?

strange, mine runs fine, my passengers say I set it too hot for them (three yellow lights), I always have to turn it down to (two yellow or even one yellow light ) for them,

maybe it's tied to the passenger airbag weight sensor ? someone actually have to be sitting in the passenger chair for full heat ?

Sounds like a perfectly rational person

Like one of those weird Amazon reviews with 'interesting' people.

"I bought this hammer the other day and it sucks. I bought it expressly for the purpose of mashing potatoes and now 3 of my pots are all dented!!! And the mashed potatoes were horrible!!!

I tried contacting the reseller about returning the hammer and paying to replace my dented pots and they were rude and completely unhelpful!!!

BUYER BEWARE!!!"

OP , a little over top with the title eh ? LOL

anyway, I confirmed it is tied to the weight sensor !!! I just tried it, the heat does not go on when seat is empty

although the heater seat light indicator is on , the seat heater does not activate unless someone sits in the seat for a while,

as soon as the seat is empty the heater deactivates but indicator still stays lit.

so "real" test would to go for a long drive (~ 20 minutes and have someone sit in the passenger side and set the seat heater to 3 yellow lights,

I GUARANTEE they will tell you to turn it down after maybe 15 minutes. the heat is not instantaneous, it takes time to heat up to full max temp.

anyway, I confirmed it is tied to the weight sensor !!! I just tried it, the heat does not go on when seat is empty

although the heater seat light indicator is on , the seat heater does not activate unless someone sits in the seat for a while,

as soon as the seat is empty the heater deactivates but indicator still stays lit.

so "real" test would to go for a long drive (~ 20 minutes and have someone sit in the passenger side and set the seat heater to 3 yellow lights,

I GUARANTEE they will tell you to turn it down after maybe 15 minutes. the heat is not instantaneous, it takes time to heat up to full max temp.

interesting, didn't know this, learn something new everyday, I guess this is Mazda engineers way to save electricity in case heater switch is left on after dropping off passenger.

I can't even turn mine or the passenger side up to the second LED, gets too hot.

Is this a new thing? I've been known to use my passenger seat as a sandwich warmer :)

I'm gonna sell mine higher than your units because I don't have the heated seats function so nothing to fix.

Darn it. I did not even think about the hit I am going to take trying to sell this car because of the defective heated seats. I may have to call a lawyer and see if we can get a class action suit together.

I am also really thankful to the OP for bringing this to our attention. Without the tremendous investigative effort put forth by dedicated people like this, we would never have known how much we were shafted.

Thus the commercial for Dominos new Pizza Insurance LOL. I'm gonna file a claim right now!!

I talked to MazdaUSA about my cold pizza and they did NOTHING to help. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!1111!!!1

(rlaugh)(rlaugh)(rlaugh)

I've never seen a car that didn't have pressure activated heated seats. It's not to save electricity. It's not a Mazda thing.
Just kind of a common sense thing.
Well, except for whatever Craig is driving. [emoji847]
It's also pretty common for the driver's seat side to fail. Because we're pretty hard on that seat.
Who cares if the passenger seat fails. I don't sit there.

Last edited:
There’s some iffy Information in this thread. No single control units as such and no link to the occupancy sensor although it probably won’t feel warm until the occupiers weight pushes the seat cover up to the heater elements. As for the OP, maybe he’s not happy with the position of the fuel filler cap on his Chevy and just wants to nit pick our CX-5s? I am however very AWARE, AWARE, AWARE of this phenomena.

View attachment 217983

Last edited:
Back