What have you done to your P5 today?

.... I even unplugged it and turned it around. Still dead...

Unplug the connector and test for +12 V on the wire side while turning the key to start...

Does the voltage jump to 12 V when you turn the key to start ???

If you're not getting +12 V on the control wire, I would suspect the ignition switch.

Try wiggling the key around while holding it in start position... If the starter motor kicks in, you've got a bad ignition switch.

I tried last night to find someone with a multimeter, but no one had one. Guess I could buy one from Autozone, use it real quick, then return it haha.

So the car started this am. Drove it to the bank, left it running (just in case) but will not restart a second time. I turned it off when I returned home and tried to restart and it would not.
I bet you are correct that it is the ignition switch. What else could it be? Im banking on the ignition switch. :)

Thanks again for the help! You are of great value to this sight with your continued helping of members. Rep points...if we had them. ;)

Thanks...
I've got some more diagrams for you...

To help diagnose your problem, you can remove your steering column covers and wiggle the ignition switch around while holding the key to start... If it starts up then you've found your problem.

Screenshot_2017-11-29-19-09-06.png

Screenshot_2017-11-29-19-10-53.png

Screenshot_2017-11-29-14-52-48.png

I'll try that. Thank you. I also found a guy who has a nice multimeter who is coming over later. I want to make 100% sure that I'm getting 12v to the starter like you suggested. I will also play around with the ignition switch as well.
Thanks again.

You can pickup a cheap multimeter for less than ten bucks.
Everybody should have one in their tool box, along with an adjustable wrench, a vicegrip and a big hammer...

Sound advice for sure.
I've been playing with that multimeter all day. Testing stuff that doesn't even need testing haha.
So it appears it was indeed the starter ignition switch. Started the car 4 times just now and went for a short drive.
Found an auto parts store that had one in stock so I went ahead a bought it. Super easy install and car seems to be working properly.

Thank you very much for all the help with this. I was all ready to buy unnecessary parts, wasting money. So I do appreciate it very much.

Left the car in the garage all snug as a bug in a rug while snow happened outside in SE TX..............truck weather

Mine made its second cross country journey last week. 227k on the clock with original clutch, motor, transmission, even radiator! This car has been so good to me over past 8 years when I bought it at 75k. So far ive only had to replace consumables like struts, brakes, other bits and pieces. Gonna try and push it to 300k if it doesnt rust out first

24958775_10101467574171879_8079332477739284120_o.jpg

Just scored this piece at the pullapart,
Don't remember how it was mounted on the car I pulled it from. Does anyone have pics of theres, to give me the idea to put it on mine.
It's the plastic that surrounds the spare tire.
Spare tire cover https://imgur.com/gallery/gmSic

Friday night, company party in downtown DC. Husband picks my co-worker and I up after work in the P5 and about 2 blocks from the restaurant, I hear him pumping the pedal, car not sounding happy, etc. Pull up to the light, he turns the car off, puts it in 1st, and we sort of limp through the intersection, about 1 block from the restaurant now. I ask what's going on and he says the clutch is gone. My co-worker in the backseat is clueless when it comes to cars. We manage to drop her off at the restaurant, and go to find parking. Oh, we were going to do valet parking.... Fortunately, the guy manning the parking deck booth let us park the car ourselves after seeing us lurch up to it. Have dinner, and decide to try to make it home. He thinks it might be the slave cylinder and we're only about 4 blocks from the highway. The highway which will take us 25 miles of the 28 mile trip back home and we'll happily pay the $2.55 toll to not have to touch the brake or clutch for those 25 miles. Using various tricks, limp home and decide to diagnose in the AM. Sat. morning, he pumps the pedal with the hood up, jet stream of brake fluid from under the airbox. Turns out the rubber clutch hose had sprung a leak. Localish Autozone has one in stock, so we order it to pick up after attending another holiday party that afternoon. Picked it up Saturday and replaced it Sunday morning, good as new.

Attachments

• IMG_20171217_124525.jpg
    IMG_20171217_124525.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
Mine made its second cross country journey last week. 227k on the clock with original clutch, motor, transmission, even radiator! This car has been so good to me over past 8 years when I bought it at 75k. So far ive only had to replace consumables like struts, brakes, other bits and pieces. Gonna try and push it to 300k if it doesnt rust out first

24958775_10101467574171879_8079332477739284120_o.jpg

that looks miserable. if it ever looked like that here i wouldn't be going outside!

You have no idea of what you're missing !!

You obviously have never gone out for donuts !!

Screenshot_2017-12-18-13-43-57.png

Forget all that. I can be in a t-shirt and shorts and do donuts all day long on 4wheelers. I don't need snow or sub-arctic temperatures to go out and play. And if a cop sees me the only reason they would stop is because they want to join in on the fun :)

Back