Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

Yep, very good points!

So I don't know your driving style Yrwei, but I will ask this. I am generally a spirited driver. I love throwing my car around corners and just feeling "connected" to the road. i.e. Tires have to feel responsive. How are those Altimax tires for that? Like on my Michelins I totally feel a very direct feeling when steering, and can totally turn on a dime (exaggerating) with them. What I don't want is floaty feeling tires, or something that doesn't feel very direct when I turn the wheel.

So how are those Altimax tires working out for you in that respect?
This's really a tough question to answer for you as each person has different feel on tire performance. I know I can't talk any "performance" on a 20-year-old CR-V with original struts. From Tire Rack survey the dry performance gets the same rating on both tires (General AltiMAX RT43 and Michelin Latitude Tour). jthj also mentioned in Tire Rack instrumented and professional tests, AltiMAX RT43 gets rated well and even praises them for steering response. My guess is AltiMAX RT43 should perform as good as your current Michelin Latitude Tour. You may need more air pressure on AltiMAX RT43 for better performance which is a good thing. Getting a Michelin Premier LTX definitely more suitable for your driving style, but is that worth 36% higher price and less tread life?

This's really a tough question to answer for you as each person has different feel on tire performance. I know I can't talk any "performance" on a 20-year-old CR-V with original struts. From Tire Rack survey the dry performance gets the same rating on both tires (General AltiMAX RT43 and Michelin Latitude Tour). jthj also mentioned in Tire Rack instrumented and professional tests, AltiMAX RT43 gets rated well and even praises them for steering response. My guess is AltiMAX RT43 should perform as good as your current Michelin Latitude Tour. You may need more air pressure on AltiMAX RT43 for better performance which is a good thing. Getting a Michelin Premier LTX definitely more suitable for your driving style, but is that worth 36% higher price and less tread life?
Perfect, Altimax is looking good. No I am not interested in paying $155+/tire for Michelins.

Just be glad you don’t have 19” they’re $215 for me. But the 19” also have better steering response so there is that.

So I’m glad I have 19” but I’m generally spending 200 plus per tire on both vehicles lol

Just be glad you don’t have 19” they’re $215 for me. But the 19” also have better steering response so there is that.

So I’m glad I have 19” but I’m generally spending 200 plus per tire on both vehicles lol

Yeah, decided to stick to 17s for that reason.

So, did some more research. Altimax RT43's are looking like a good way to go at that price point. Too hard to pass that up.

Well, going to be watching for deals.

Those General Altimax RT43 tires were $101/tire a couple months ago and now they are $115/tire. Still cheaper than Michelin for sure, but would love to pick them up back at that $100/tire level. ;)

Well, placed an order to Discount Tire to get the Altimax RT43 H-speed tires.

They call and leave me a voice mail saying the 102H versions are being replaced by the 102T versions. Does this sound right to you at all? I thought they were completely different tires in terms of their construction (albeit, both Altimax RT43's).

They call and leave me a voice mail saying the 102H versions are being replaced by the 102T versions. Does this sound right to you at all? I thought they were completely different tires in terms of their construction (albeit, both Altimax RT43's).

If it were me, there is no way I'd put the T version on a CX-5. H has better overall construction. IMHO DT is fos.

If it were me, there is no way I'd put the T version on a CX-5. H has better overall construction. IMHO DT is fos.

Yeah I agree. Calling back now to see what they are going on about.

Could be that they have T versions around whereas I couldn't find H versions anywhere local, but sounds disingenuous to claim "being replaced by".

General Tire's website still lists the T and H versions.

Also, Tire Rack has a distribution center in Denver. Don't know if they would have them or whether picking them up there to save shipping would interest you. Thought I'd mention it.

EDIT: After a little more checking, it looks like Tire Rack has the H's in stock at their Denver location for $114 each.

Last edited:
Called back and talked to someone else and got it sorted. 102H versions ordered!

Yes youre right. For 225/65R17 on General AltiMAX RT43 therere 2 completely different versions. Other than different speed ratings, 102H has 700 A A UTQG、51 psi maximum inflation pressure、and is made in the USA; whereas 102T has 700 A B UTQG、44 psi maximum inflation pressure、and is made in Romania.

Definitely insist on 102H and it isn't discontinued!

Yes you’re right. For 225/65R17 on General AltiMAX[emoji769] RT43there’re 2 completely different versions. Other than different speed ratings, 102H has “700 A A” UTQG、51 psi maximum inflation pressure、and is made in the USA; whereas 102T has “700 A B” UTQG、44 psi maximum inflation pressure、and is made in Romania.

Definitely insist on 102H and it isn't discontinued!
Yeah called back and got someone else who had no issues ordering up 102H versions. No idea what the other guy was going on about. (scratch)

Yeah called back and got someone else who had no issues ordering up 102H versions. No idea what the other guy was going on about. (scratch)
Looking for a sucker to unload some inferior rubber on maybe? Glad you didn't fall for it!

Back