Can a good deal be had now vs the end of the month

Thanks for the great info. Does anyone have an effective email template I can use?

go to mazda website and search inventory. The dealers will be listed and a link to their website. From there just click on the contact link. I emailed 15 dealers and just a few made competitive quotes at first, but play them against each other and try to get down to 8-10% off MRSP + any rebates you are entitled to.

go to mazda website and search inventory. The dealers will be listed and a link to their website. From there just click on the contact link. I emailed 15 dealers and just a few made competitive quotes at first, but play them against each other and try to get down to 8-10% off MRSP + any rebates you are entitled to.

Wow, you can literally do this at home on the couch in your sponge bob undies eating some chips....not my current attire right now of course. I'm actually at work with a dress shirt and slacks with sponge bob undies though.

How's this for an email?

I*m shopping around for the best price on a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with the GT Premium Package with black exterior and interior and an MSRP of $34,115. Please provide a price excluding rebates and incentives, and with a breakdown of all fees. Also provide separately any rebates or incentives that are available.
I have a high credit rating and will qualify for top-tier financing, and I intend to lease. I also currently own a CX-5 which qualifies me for the $750 loyalty incentive. Plus, I believe there is an additional incentive of $470 bringing the total to $1,220. The money factor should be .00001 and the residual at 58%.
I prefer to correspond through email only, and would appreciate a prompt response if interested in providing an offer.

How's this for an email?

I*m shopping around for the best price on a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with the GT Premium Package with black exterior and interior and an MSRP of $34,115. Please provide a price excluding rebates and incentives, and with a breakdown of all fees. Also provide separately any rebates or incentives that are available.
I have a high credit rating and will qualify for top-tier financing, and I intend to lease. I also currently own a CX-5 which qualifies me for the $750 loyalty incentive. Plus, I believe there is an additional incentive of $470 bringing the total to $1,220. The money factor should be .00001 and the residual at 58%.
I prefer to correspond through email only, and would appreciate a prompt response if interested in providing an offer.

I don*t bring up anything about how I*m buying it or leasing it. Let*s get to the best price first, and we*ll worry about the financing/paying cash whatever later...

Makes sense, that way they can't apply rebates and incentives and play with the price if they don't know what applies. Thanks!

Never bring up money on your end or even mention you have a trade, just get a price. Example: "I see you have a CX5 on your lot, numbner###. What's the best price you can give me not including incentives or rebates?" Sometimes they don't answer, go on to the next dealer...

Never bring up money on your end or even mention you have a trade, just get a price. Example: "I see you have a CX5 on your lot, numbner###. What's the best price you can give me not including incentives or rebates?" Sometimes they don't answer, go on to the next dealer...

Yep yep!

I live in NY and expanded my search to NJ. NY had a doc fee cap of $75 that every dealer charges. NJ has no cap on doc fees. One dealer quoted me $699 and the other $499. How can this vary so much between states?

Thanks for the great info. Does anyone have an effective email template I can use?

Don't use an email template. They don't read your email anyway. You put in there "I want a CX-5 Signature, Machine Gray...." And then they get back to you and either ask you what model you are looking for, or get it wrong.

Most dealer websites have some "Request a quote" link. Use that.

How's this for an email?

Again--they will ignore most of this. You are just wasting your time.

Makes sense, that way they can't apply rebates and incentives and play with the price if they don't know what applies. Thanks!
They can, and they will.

Many dealers will quote you a price that includes all available incentives, even if you don't qualify for them. Read the fine print of any quote you get--carefully. I had a salesman do this sitting across the desk from me.

You can also go on TrueCar and that website will initiate a price quote from a handful of local dealers.

Last edited:
I live in NY and expanded my search to NJ. NY had a doc fee cap of $75 that every dealer charges. NJ has no cap on doc fees. One dealer quoted me $699 and the other $499. How can this vary so much between states?

Expand your search to the DC and Va area, and even Delaware. Try Brown*s and a few others...

Expand your search to the DC and Va area, and even Delaware. Try Brown*s and a few others...

VA sucks. They charge $699 doc fee. Unless those VA dealers are willing to budge, make sure you get an OTD quote in WRITING. I've been talking with MD dealers (I'm in MD) and they are not willing to budge either even when I got a competitive quote elsewhere. Playing the patience game. We'll see what happens as we get closer to the end of July.

Make it simple. What is your best price for this XXX? Like others mentioned, they are not reading those s***.

VA sucks. They charge $699 doc fee. Unless those VA dealers are willing to budge, make sure you get an OTD quote in WRITING. I've been talking with MD dealers (I'm in MD) and they are not willing to budge either even when I got a competitive quote elsewhere. Playing the patience game. We'll see what happens as we get closer to the end of July.

I traveled 450 miles to Va and have gotten the biggest discount to date of anyone, anywhere (don't care, just sayin'), but yes, you're correct, their doc fees can be horrendous (mine was $599), but I made up for it on the selling price. Give a little, take a little, sometimes...

If I bought right now, it would most likely be in North Carolina, and that is outta State for me too...

Last edited:
One thing to consider is depreciation. In a few months your car will be a model year old.. Most cars depreciate 16 -20% in the 1st year. Is the discount enough to offset depreciation? Use this info when negotiating your deal.

One thing to consider is depreciation. In a few months your car will be a model year old.. Most cars depreciate 16 -20% in the 1st year. Is the discount enough to offset depreciation? Use this info when negotiating your deal.

Good point. I'm going to hold out as long as I can and tease the dealers by giving excuses like "I'm still undecided" or say something like "I'll continue looking for better quote" until they let up. Hopefully, I don't have to travel too far but I'm willing to drive 200 miles radius from where I'm at.

So, I called and emailed 17 dealers and 11 replied with pricing. None of the pricing approached 10% discount. The best was 7.4% but in another state compared to 6.2% locally, so not worth it. I did go to the "largest Mazda dealership on the east coast in NJ" because the said they would beat any price by $300 and give another $300 for coming from NY. In the end they lied and I walked. So I will stay local and live with the existing pricing.

So, I called and emailed 17 dealers and 11 replied with pricing. None of the pricing approached 10% discount. The best was 7.4% but in another state compared to 6.2% locally, so not worth it. I did go to the "largest Mazda dealership on the east coast in NJ" because the said they would beat any price by $300 and give another $300 for coming from NY. In the end they lied and I walked. So I will stay local and live with the existing pricing.

ask other dealers to beat your best price..once one does, repeat until no one beats.

What you should be negotiating is the Out-The-Door-Price. Forget about about doc fees and other BS fees. Once they see you are only interested in the bottom line they will give you a price based on the competition figures. Ed

I think the "out the door price" approach may be the best. I was asking the guy to beat my best price and he kept playing games with the numbers.

Back