Carplay and Android Auto coming soon? Crossing fingers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever has a chance to see what amenities Mazda has offered in other regions would be upset like you and me. In addition to integrated front and rear parking sensors you mentioned, Smart City Brake Support Forward and Reverse、i-stop、i-ELOOP、memory driver seat、6-way power passenger seat、Adaptive LED Headlamps、rear fog light、front/rear fog light dash indicators、one-touch up/down power window for all 4 doors with lighted switches、power outside rearview folding mirrors、glove compartment light、entrance courtesy lights、AC "Echo" mode on Automatic Climate Control, etc., all are available only on CX-5's sold outside of North American market!

I agree. I suspect that their business model is to intentionally only offer certain features in their "flag ship" model. In the U.S. For the SUV, that's the CX-9 and in other parts of the world that's the CX-5. I think that's the same reason we see some features in the Mazda 6, as its their flag ship sedan, that's not available on the CX-5 even though the price might be comparable.

I agree. I suspect that their business model is to intentionally only offer certain features in their "flag ship" model. In the U.S. For the SUV, that's the CX-9 and in other parts of the world that's the CX-5. I think that's the same reason we see some features in the Mazda 6, as its their flag ship sedan, that's not available on the CX-5 even though the price might be comparable.
This may be true for the thinking of Mazda North American Operations - CX-5 is not the "flag-ship" in its CUV lineup hence many features are missing. But Australia has CX-9 and CX-5 and both of them have all the features I mentioned in the previous post. On the other hand, US version new "flag-ship" CX-9 is still lacking most of those features except memory seat and one-touch up/down power windows. Heck, new CX-9 has even "down-graded" driver seat from 8-way to 6-way, removed power folding and memory outside rearview mirrors, and auto tilt-down passenger-side outside rearview mirror.

I alway thought it came down to what Mazda America THOUGHT the American consumer would pay in over all price... If we got ALL the items listed would /could the asking price be up towards the 40k price point instead of the 30k price point. (Grand touring or ''signature series" ) So the marketing personal decided to tell Mazda Japan, well us American could do without out this; that; and the other offered features so we can get the price to a fair market value to sale more units..

just a thought...

Try actually reading what I referenced. The infotainment system including the problems with the Apple and Android platforms actually did play into the poor rating. Honda's stupid decision to get rid of a physical volume knob didn't help either.
"Half baked" is still better than nothing!

Consumer Reports no longer recommends Honda Civic has nothing to do with Honda offering Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in Civic!

To the point of the OP "CarPlay and android auto: yes would like the get it OR just give us live traffic updates within the maps and I would be okay, to 100% satisfied but okay...

There is evidence actually. Head on over to Mazda 3 revolution. Several members have found AA and Carplay code in the firmware. In fact, each consecutive firmware update has been found to contain more and more AA and Carplay code. So yes, there is evidence of Mazda working on those platforms. But yes, we just don't know when it will be coming. But why would there be code if they weren't working on it. Exactly.
Actually, that's merely wishful thinking on your part. At best, if the code is legitimate, it's simply circumstantial...no direct link. Why the code would be there in the first place without the implementation of the AA or Carplay makes no sense.

I hope I am proven wrong and AA and Carplay is implemented within the next few years but I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future in NA.

"
Consumer Reports no longer recommends Honda Civic has nothing to do with Honda offering Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in Civic!
Do you have a link to the review? This is the first I have heard of this, not that I think CR has much credibility in my opinion. (boom02)

Do you have a link to the review? This is the first I have heard of this, not that I think CR has much credibility in my opinion. (boom02)
No, I no longer subscribe Consumer Reports for a long time due to the same reason like you, and we can't access full CR's article online unless you have subscription. I only check the long-term reliability stats in CR whenever I need it. I was quoting Dr Kev's comment earlier and believe that "half baked" Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are still better than nothing. And many other vehicles from Honda are still recommended by CR, and they all have ACP and AA. That's why I used my "common sense" and said featuring "half baked" ACP and AA is not the reason CR dropped Honda Civic from their recommended list for new car purchasing.

Head over to vtec.net and read recent posts in the thread "Consumer Reports no longer recommends Honda Civic." Honda has AA and ACP but we might be glad that Mazda is taking a cautious approach. These platforms are great concepts but the reality seems to be (in the words of one of their moderators) "half baked" at this point.
Try actually reading what I referenced. The infotainment system including the problems with the Apple and Android platforms actually did play into the poor rating. Honda's stupid decision to get rid of a physical volume knob didn't help either.

Last edited:
Similar response that others been receiving as well as myself. But it seems there still at least working. That combined with the code found in the most recent update gives further hope.

2cxvk8z.png

No, I no longer subscribe Consumer Reports for a long time due to the same reason like you, and we can't access full CU's article online unless you have subscription. I only check the long-term reliability stats in CU whenever I need it. I was quoting Dr Kev's comment earlier and believe that "half baked" Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are still better than nothing. And many other vehicles from Honda are still recommended by CU, and they all have ACP and AA. That's why I used my "common sense" and said featuring "half baked" ACP and AA is not the reason CU dropped Honda Civic from their recommended list for new car purchasing.

The redesigned Civic has had reliability issues. I assume that's why CR dropped its recommendation.

FWIW this was the response when I asked Mazda support about Android Auto rollout timelines:

For the second question Android Auto is being planned on getting released with the system. We just do not have a specific date as to when it is coming out with the system. We just know that it will be released with an update on the system you have.

For the second question Android Auto is being planned on getting released with the system. We just do not have a specific date as to when it is coming out with the system. We just know that it will be released with an update on the system you have.

Sounds like good news for everyone with the new infotainment!

Sounds like good news for everyone with the new infotainment!
What do you consider new? Unless I missed it, there is no mention from Mazda on what year and models it will be included and if there will be a fee associated with it

FWIW this was the response when I asked Mazda support about Android Auto rollout timelines:

[FONT=&quot]For the second question Android Auto is being planned on getting released with the system. We just do not have a specific date as to when it is coming out with the system. We just know that it will be released with an update on the system you have.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]lol. And what year and model do you have? 2016 CX5, Mazda3, Mazda6, Miata? If you're going to quote Mazda, quote the entire email or letter not just parts of it. We're not mind readers, lol (headshake

Unfortunately not. Mazda has posted for AA for a couple years now. Still nothing. I read somewhere about the control knob giving issues or causing the extra time. Maybe all the interactions are giving them trouble since its not strictly. Also, Mazda has so many car settings tied into its infotainment system that they have to keep working. Not sure how many other vehicles out there function like that. Definitely no excuse for it taking this long but maybe a reason why it is.

What do you consider new? Unless I missed it, there is no mention from Mazda on what year and models it will be included and if there will be a fee associated with it

The older infotainment found in 2013-2015 models looks like this:
2013-Mazda-CX-5-interior-tomtom-navigation.jpg

Will most likely not get Android Auto support.

However, the newer MZD Connect infotainment which looks like this:
2016-mazda-cx5-19-1.jpg

Might very well get Andorid Auto as a software update, as posted above.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not. Mazda has posted for AA for a couple years now. Still nothing. I read somewhere about the control knob giving issues or causing the extra time. Maybe all the interactions are giving them trouble since its not strictly. Also, Mazda has so many car settings tied into its infotainment system that they have to keep working. Not sure how many other vehicles out there function like that. Definitely no excuse for it taking this long but maybe a reason why it is.
That's part of the reason why it's taking so long, but one of the other [many] reasons is Mazda [North America] has been very resistant to implement cutting edge entertainment technologies in their vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back