Cost effective improvements

they skimped on the msp's seat covers and steering wheel. those two items wear a lot faster than the mp3 counterparts.

I wish the MSP had a real Nardi wheel, I have a good condition 03.5 MSP wheel tucked away I will probably use once my MSM wheel wears out. And the plastic inserts on the MP3s were a much better vinyl than the MSP as well.
I like the 03.5 seat pattern better though.

@Corphish, there is no way to custom tune the Protege ECU, otherwise we would all have done it. You either have to get a piggyback or you can have factory ECU data from the MP3 or MSP flashed to it. Or go full standalone.

Your best bet will be to piece together an MSP stock turbo kit and an MSP ECU.

@Corphish, there is no way to custom tune the Protege ECU, otherwise we would all have done it. You either have to get a piggyback or you can have factory ECU data from the MP3 or MSP flashed to it. Or go full standalone.

I see what you posted but still I know there is a way. I'm not saying I can do it but I want to know how it's done. Does he have a laptop or a full computer that is built for that one flash?

I have been doing more research and yes I do plan on getting a piggyback but does anyone have any good suggestions? I've heard haltech interceptor.

Haltec is a standalone ECU, very complicated to setup. Easiest way is to just get a piggyback with an MSP ECU or run the stock tune on the MSP ECU.

Spicy probably uses a dealer computer to flash the ECU, it is Factory Mazda software. Trust me, the Mazda programming on the Ford EEC-V ECU in the Protege has never been cracked successfully. You may know there is a way, but it has not been done in the past 15 years and something tells me it will never happen.

Ok so if I found a msp ecu and turbo'd it I should be fine right? Or at least till 10psi.

Last edited:
The MSP ECU can handle any amount of boost you throw at it, it is the stock motor that doesn't handle more than about 11psi safely.

Ok so I want to have a fmi since the msp smi is small. Would a gt2860 be a good turbo?

I have read through his build multiple times. I just want to make msp stock power. I was only hoping to spend like 2-3k but everyone here is telling me to forge my engine! I understand the limits of the fsde and I'm not worried about it I will cross that road later! I was hoping to turbo this one and then buy a whole different car!

If you want stock MSP power, then find a stock MSP kit for sale. There are a few threads on here that list all of what you will need.

For stock power/boost youll be fine engine-wise, since the stock MSP ECU ran like 6 psi stock.

Just get all OEM MSP components, dont try and mess with the boost (boost controllers), and have a somewhat zippy car.

Back