Engine Removal Question

PGFracing

Near Omaha, NE
Do I have to move the trainy over or out to pull the engine out of a Mazda Speed? I've never pulled an engine out of a front wheel drive car. Currently it looks like if I removed the alternator I might have enough room to slide the engine over a little off the trainy and pull it up without having to move/dicsonnect the trainy?

Also I'm thinking I'll need a jack support for the trainy while the engine is being pulled? (if it can stay in the car when pulling engine)

removing the engine without the tranny can be done. but its a HUGE pain in the ass. not to mention the fact you are going to NEED to pull the tranny when you are re-installing the engine anyways.

might as well pull them together.

I pulled my engine without pulling the tranny, a couple months ago and its just friggen hard. while reinstalling it all (after puling the tranny and attatching it to the engine) was WAY easier... it only took 6 hours and it was running again. with EVERYTHING hooked up.

It should come out as one unit. It will be alot easier...
Trust me, This was not fun and the tranny has to come out to hook to the engine this spring...

Stage%204%20Weight%20Reduction.jpg

Thanks a lot for your help. I figure it will take me about 30 hours to do the whole process and have it running again. I might make a manual for the process. I did break those snaps that hold the splash guards on the bottom on, figured it would be easier to break them then spending time trying to get them off. I also figured it be easier to buy the wiring loom zip ties that snap in, because they have been cut(by the factory when built), but all those are still in tack. Did you leave your turbo and intake attached when you pulled it? I was planning on leaving all that on, until I pull it to work on it. If you need any help figuring where wires go to reinstall I have a note book there are around 70 connections point (wires, zip ties), including zip ties. That doesn't include any bolt or part removals.

Last edited:
You can leave the tranny in to remove and install the engine. However it is worth the extra 10mins to pull the tranny. I personally pull it all as an assembly then seperate them on the table. Its easier to pull the manifold, turbo, and downpipe as an assembly, plus then you don't have to buy as many gaskets.

Last time I did one it was 10hrs from pushing it in and driving it out.

Theres actually a couple. You need the upper oil pan girdle, the oil cooler, the threaded rod the oil cooler sits on, the coolant feed nipple, the oil sending unit and fittings...

I think theres more but thats all I can think of right now.

It's out and ready to transfer parts. I just need to know which parts to transfer, and make sure I don't miss any. Obviously a person can look, but help is always nice.

If you can think of anymore greatly appreciated.

BlkZoomZoom said:
Theres actually a couple. You need the upper oil pan girdle, the oil cooler, the threaded rod the oil cooler sits on, the coolant feed nipple, the oil sending unit and fittings...

I think theres more but thats all I can think of right now.

Thanks. What about the intake system, do I need to switch the intake manifold and the throttle body as a unit or is that the same as the stock? It looks about the same except my throttle body has a different number on it.

Do I need to worry about any parts falling out when I take that upper oil pan girdle off? (For example does the engine need to be upside down when I do that?)

Thanks for all your help can't wait to get it running again.

Anyone know if the intake and throttle body are the same off a stock protege vs the Mazda Speed? They look the same just wondering if I need to switch them or not?

PGFracing said:
Anyone know if the intake and throttle body are the same off a stock protege vs the Mazda Speed? They look the same just wondering if I need to switch them or not?

Same Part Number...

You also need to move the knock sensor over dependind on what year engine you got. On mine i had to weld a nut to the block and then screw it on because there wasn't any hole for it.

Brian MP5T said:
Same Part Number...

Brian,

Do you work at a dealership? I called the (yesterday)dealership and they told me the part numbers were different? Although this same dealership told me this motor idea swap wouldn't work. Their the only authorized Speed dealership in my area. The stamp on the intake is kind of similar the numbers on the throttle body are way different and the the two letter code on the throttle body is different, but as I said they look the same.

Any thoughts?

No to the Dealership.

I asked my Mazda Parts guy here in Pembroke and He had to order a new TB for a MSP owner here who tried to Port and Polish his TB and Intake Manifold. Let's just say he ground the TB too much and managed to make a hole in it. The Manifold was a complete mess. He got him a Used one (Protege 5) from a Wrecker and It was visibly identical to the MSP one except that it had wasn't all ****** up with holes and small bits of metal in and on it.
:)

Hope it helps you. Mazda claimed that there were over 200 Upgraded parts on the MSP, perhaps they changed the part number on the MSP Intake Mani and TB, and made a "Minor" or "Notional" upgrade over the Protege Stock mani...

Naw there the same from all I know. However there are around 1000 different parts between an MSP and a unleaded protege.

Thanks for the insights, like I said they look identical so I'm not going to switch them. Everything else is going good with the swap, hope to have it rolling tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

PGFracing said:
Thanks for the insights, like I said they look identical so I'm not going to switch them. Everything else is going good with the swap, hope to have it rolling tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Subscribing to this thread. I will be doing this in about 2-3 months, so the more info the better. If you would do a comprehensive how-to with pics, I might even send you some money. :)

Back