Sorry Another Question About The Radio...

jeremyfl

:
2003.5 Protege 5
Ok I know just about everyone has had the problem with the radio locking up.

I have had my car almost 2 years now and never had the problem until this morning (yeah I was starting to feel left out). Went into the car and it flipped open then flipped close then flipped open and flipped close. I made it open and it didnt turn on or anything. Hit the little reset button and the radio came on.

Now though it is locked in an angle position and wont close or open to put a cd in at all.

Have any of you had this experience when using the reset button?

There is a button that you can hold down to put it in that "angled" position (the same button reverses it). I can't remember which one it is, but I have done that a couple times. You could try resetting it again. I always hold the reset button for a few seconds, although I'm not sure that's necessary.

Yeah i know the angle button you are talking about it the eject button. Doesnt work. Tried using the reset button again no luck either.

Guess I have to go to the dealership this weekend.

I can hear it now, because you have different tires on your car other than stock your radio malfunctioned due to an increase in static build up. This increase in static build up shorted your radio, we have decided to voide your warranty. Hey want to buy a new Mazda 3. LOL

Ok i had my for 2 years and i just change this radio , Now im happy because the radio that i change looks awesome and sounds really nice , imo is better to change now that you have problems with it if you have the money.

Don't have the money. Plus i am getting really tired of having to change things on the car because Mazda didnt build it properly. It very dissappointing because you spend all this money on a NEW car, I dont buy used because i believe that you are just buying somebody elses problems.

Now my NEW car causes me more grief than a used car would.

Most of the time this problem is caused by the pins behind the faceplate not lining up correctly. Try this simple fix:

Pull out your faceplace
See the little metal tabs to the left and right of where your faceplate attaches to your headunit? These hold everything in place and wear out over time.
Bend those tabs out slightly so when you put your faceplate back in it is held in place tighter. This will help realign the pins behind the faceplate intot heir proper placment.
Re-attach your faceplate and see if this works. You may need to hit the re-set button at this point.

If this doesn't solve it for you then the problem is probably the wire ribbon has become damaged. I don't know a way to fix that other than swapping out the headunit.

A competent audio place can replace the ribbon for you. I believe one forum member paid $85 to get this done. It's better than waiting for the dealer to get a refurb shipped out.

I cant move the face at all, I am afraid to force it and then something snaps and now its my fault. I hate to sound like a pain but doesn't everyone get a little fustrated and pissed off having to pay to replace pieces on the car that should be fixed by the dealer?

Has anyone every thought of a class action law suit against Mazda, that would get their attention. I have owned a protege 5, Mazda 6, Now I have a Mazdaspeed and my wife has a P5. That is a lot of money we have spent on their cars.

I am sure others are in the same boat.

jeremyfl said:
I cant move the face at all, I am afraid to force it and then something snaps and now its my fault. I hate to sound like a pain but doesn't everyone get a little fustrated and pissed off having to pay to replace pieces on the car that should be fixed by the dealer?

Has anyone every thought of a class action law suit against Mazda, that would get their attention. I have owned a protege 5, Mazda 6, Now I have a Mazdaspeed and my wife has a P5. That is a lot of money we have spent on their cars.

I am sure others are in the same boat.
Well the thing is, is that they don't make that headunit anymore, so they have to order a refurb, which takes a long time. They don't have the audio skills at the dealer to fix that ribbon. I don't think they're trying to screw us (at least on this). If you do a search, you'll find a link to a site that explains exactly how to fix the ribbon. I don't possess the skills, so I would just take it somewhere and have them do it quickly. The dealer will have you waiting for a long, long time.

Back