Squeal!!!!!!!!!!

Spooled

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
OK, I'm getting tired of these sounds. My whistle has turned into a squeal. It sounds like metal-on-metal. Now I'm starting to think that the whistle WAS a squeal, but I just couldn't tell because I didn't have the window down while it was happening before (-10 degree Michgan weather sucks!).

The squeal has to be one of two things: either a bad wheel bearing or a bad turbo bearing. It's hard to tell because sometimes it seems to be RPM dependent, then all of a sudden it's speed dependent. Of course, every time I drop it off at the dealer they tell me that they can't reproduce it. So now I have to hope that I'm in the area of my dealer when I've got some extra time and the car is squealing while they are open so that I can take a tech for a drive to confirm it.

If it's a bad turbo bearing, it will be my third turbo in this car. I'm at 4.9 psi stock boost ever since the first turbo replacement, but I let it go assuming that they didn't adjust the actuator correctly. Now I'm starting to think there's more to it.

Time to check how close I am to 30-days in the shop (MI Lemon Law).

UPDATE: At lunch it was making the noise all the time while moving, even with the clutch in, idling, and in neutral. So it's not the throwout bearing, the turbo, or the brakes (it didn't go away while braking). It is definitly the wheel bearing or something else in the left front wheelwell rubbing.

Mods, you can probably take this out of the Forced Induction section since I know it's not the turbo now.

Back