Spring questions/concerns....

GordonJ

:
06 MX-5 GT
Hey guys,

With a few extra bucks coming in from my tax return, I'm planning on doing another mod to my beloved P5.
I think I've basically decided on going with some new lowering springs, and also decided on the Eibach Pro Kit.

Now I HAVE searched the forums quite a bit and done alot of researching on here before posting this, but I just want to doublecheck and make sure this all sounds right.

I have a 03.5 with roughly 9,000 miles on her, stock wheels/tires. With the Eibach Pro Kit, I should be fine without new struts and shocks, correct?
Also, after getting the springs installed, should I need to do anything besides get the alignment checked? From all I've read, it seems just the alignment needs attention after new springs.

Also, last but not least, and something I didn't find searching the boards, how much do you think I should expect to pay for a shop to install the springs? I really don't have the tools or the experience to do it myself, I'm afraid, and with something as important as the suspension, I'd rather not risk it. Can anyone recommened any good national chain shops or whatnot that would do it, and at a reasonable price?

Oh, and last but not least, anyone recommend any good, reliable sites that sell the Pro Kit at a good deal?

Thanks!

I can tell you that Mazda will charge you up the wahzoo if you want them to install them. They tried charging me $105 per spring. After that, I just went back and installed them myself. Any place you go will charge you a bunch. Alignment is a must but if you are running on stock tires, I'd say just do an alignment when you get new tires. And yes, your car should be ok if you plan to change out springs and your car will be ok for a while without changing struts.

I changed my springs at like 4,000 miles and kept the stock shocks. I am now at about 34,000 and they are starting to go. But they do fine for a while even while lowered.

Alignment is necessary.

Cost... I don't know since I did it myself. It was the first time I had ever attempted something like that. The first corner took a couple of hours. The second corner took maybe an hour. And the third and fourth took like 20 minutes each. It is pretty easy to do if you can get ahold of some tools. I could do it much faster now than the first time. I am sure that there is somebody in OH that would want to help you out... Otherwise, on my Integra it cost about $300 + alignment.

I bought mine from Kartboy when they had a few extra sets. I don't know the bargain places for springs. Try SPD...

What kind of tools would be necessary to install it myself? And are instructions incldued with the kit? I'm really a newb here...

Oh, and do you think a tire shop would do the spring install?

Alignment is necessary after you change the springs.

There's a write in the HOW TO section. You could take a look at it and use it for your reference.

You will need the regular tool set and probably a spring compressor, which you could rent in some local auto store.

My local garage charge $50 for one corner, so it's about $200 for the springs installation. Don't really know how much in your area.
Tire shop might or might not do the spring installation. It really depends, but most of them do.

Panzozo said:
Alignment is necessary after you change the springs.

There's a write in the HOW TO section. You could take a look at it and use it for your reference.

You will need the regular tool set and probably a spring compressor, which you could rent in some local auto store.

My local garage charge $50 for one corner, so it's about $200 for the springs installation. Don't really know how much in your area.
Tire shop might or might not do the spring installation. It really depends, but most of them do.

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out that "How To" section in a second.

I went to tirerack.com and selected their list of "installers in your zip code" (one of which happens to be like 3 minutes from my house), and it lists what they all do on top of (obviously) tire/rim installs.
Anyway, every shop listed stated they did "Spring/Suspension" work, so I'm guessing just about every basic tire and auto body will do it. Now I guess I just have to start calling around and getting estimates...

I was hoping though maybe someone on these boards had a shop do their springs and could tell me what their experience was (as far as price, etc), but everyone on here does everything themselves. (doh)

;)

I did it on my civic, I don't know how different the suspension is on the two cars (haven't looked at p5) on the civic however it was really easy. First time ever doing it and I did it under 2hrs, I've done 2 other cars since then and they've been done around an hr I guess (we goof off). You can went a Spring Compressor from Autozone (makes it a lil safer, I am not sure how compressed these mazda's springs are).

But you will need a decent watchet set and the possible spring compressers (25 dollars but if you return them you get your money back) , I had both but lost one :(.

Hope this helps at all, I'd recomend you do it yourself with the help of an indivisual be nice and buy a 6-pack and have at it.

I paid around 160CDN for the install..then took it across the street to a Mazda dealer and paid 50CDN for the alignment.You need an alignment after doing springs or struts. My stock struts lasted me about 55000km with my H&R springs. The rear left strut blew first.

If you plan to do it yourself..soak every bolt and nut w/ liquid wrench the night before, rent a spring compressor, and find a person that knows how to change the springs. Make sure you or the other person has tools and a jack.

FunkyBuddha said:
I paid around 160CDN for the install..then took it across the street to a Mazda dealer and paid 50CDN for the alignment.You need an alignment after doing springs or struts. My stock struts lasted me about 55000km with my H&R springs. The rear left strut blew first.

If you plan to do it yourself..soak every bolt and nut w/ liquid wrench the night before, rent a spring compressor, and find a person that knows how to change the springs. Make sure you or the other person has tools and a jack.

Wow...only $160 (CDN) for all 4 corners? Thats like around $120 US, and not bad at all! Where do you get them installed? Was it just some local garage only in your area, or some national/international shop?

Sorry, just trying to get some idea what kind of $$$ I'm looking at here.

Thanks very much!

It's a local garage in my area. That's their normal fee as well. Excluding alignment. Never had a problem with them and the springs were seated perfect and no sounds. A lot of the local guys here go there to have springs/struts installed. Too bad they don't offer alignments.

man u should really consider doing it your self. i dont know y ppl outsource there cars. you feel so much better when u do somthing as well as u know that it is done right. springs are so easy plus money u spend on install u could save up for shocks or somthing else that u would want.

^^ No garage, no driveway, and no tools. I'd rather outsource than trouble somebody for all those 3 things listed.

ok, don't mean to threadjack...but why do you need new struts with new springs? and what kind? ...my friend just got me some coil-over sleeves (just the spring with some adjustment) and want to put them on, but want it done right...so what is this strut business?

You would WANT new struts because the stiffer springs that normally come in a lowered stance are not matched to the softer stock struts. The struts will wear out quicker because it is not meant to ride compressed all the time since lowering springs are generally shorter than stock springs.

Try 'Les Schwab' tires (if you have them out there). They carry eibachs and charge $120 for the install (though you'll probably have to buy the springs through them).

Definately do the struts if u guys are gonna do the Eibach springs. I regret it now that I didn't do my springs at the same time. I have 1 strut making weird noises already and I am only at 16,500 miles and I put them on somewhere around 7,000 miles on the car. The noise appeared about 10,000 - 11,000 miles.

romecandleboy said:
Try 'Les Schwab' tires (if you have them out there). They carry eibachs and charge $120 for the install (though you'll probably have to buy the springs through them).

Yeah, I remember "Les Schwab"'s all over the place when I lived out in Salt Lake City, but never saw them out here. I went on their site and sure enough, the farthest east they are located is Indiana, so I guess they're out.
HOWEVER, they're site did list a "lowering your vehicle" section, and had a specific link for Eibach springs. So it's kinda given me hope that other tire places will do it, and do it at a reasonable price.

Back