Shifting out of gear w/o clutch

peepsalot

Contributor
:
Black 03 MSP
I'm talking about moving the gear stick into neutral without pushing the clutch in. Is this harmful in any way whatsoever?

Not really...as long as you aren't on the gas. if you are just coasting around there is no binding force on the gears and all you are doing is seperating them.

you cant really pull the car out of gear without the clutch while on the gas unless you really yank on it.

yes you can, right as you let off the gas there will be no torque on the gears for a split second and you can slide the shifter out of gear without any problem, if you wait too long though, the engine braking will apply torque to the gears and then it's not such a good idea to do this

I do it when I'm lazy

truckers shift up and down without clutching

oh yea sorry i only read as far as "you cant really..."
didn't see the "while on the gas" part
:D

yea, it's tricky sometimes tho. you have to float them at the right rpms or you will just get stuck in that weird in between place where it's almost there but not quite. i don't like doing it, it sorta scares me sometimes and i think i'm gonna break something.

haha, yeah, I was messing around yesterday and did a couple shifts by rev matching alone. It's pretty damn hard to get the rpms exactly right. I could only do it shifting out of a gear, then back into the same gear that I already knew the rpms for. Very useful... (stooges)

It's kinda cool though to get a feel for what is going on in your gearbox. I've read up a bit, and I'm pretty sure I understand what the synchros and everything are doing at any point in time. It's funny a lot of people complain about shifting into third and I never had that problem at all until just recently, third has grinded on me a couple times, while the clutch is fully depressed. I've always had trouble getting into 2nd from 1st, but now 3rd. My transmission hates me so much.

I used to grind 3rd gear a lot, it would do it every time I tried to shift faster than a grandma but then a little change of technique was all that was needed.

As you take it out of the lower gear and it starts going into the higher, as soon as you feel a little bit of pressure, stop pushing on the stick for a split second and hold it there to allow the (non-existing?) synchros to do their job. It's kinda hard to explain....

(and yes, I am talking about a Protege :) )

Last edited:
Back