Auto Trans/Manual Trans Swappable?

PHRiSCo

:
2003 MSP
If you look on eBay for an protege FSDE engine, some are auto and some are not, arent transmissions interchangeable?

If I want an engine to build up, couldnt I just but an auto one for my MSP and switch it over, its not like Id have to drop the tranny out of the car right?

Anyone care to explain?

Yes trans can be interchangeable though expensive to do such a venture. The MSP piping may present a problem in relation to the extra room the auto will take up, but not 100% on that. (never really looked closely at a MSP engine bay).
It is also not super easy and not just as simple as taking the manual out and putting a trans case in. The auto will need new computer to control it plus the shifter etc. A fair amount of parts.

So wouldn't try it unless you plan on making a super drag MSP.

No No No, Im sorry for the misunderstanding...

look at protege engine available on eBay, some say manual, some say auto. what if I bought an engine that eBay seller says from an auto, can I put that engine into the car?

Get it?

Yes the engine itself would fit in though there maybe some extra wiring to run for the differences in trans. The auto has the PCM added to control its functions.

Give you a idea-The tech book on servicing the manual is 6-10 pages, no wiring diagrams. The Auto is 47 pages with about 10 pages of just wiring.

Yeah dude I see what you mean...You are saying you have an MSP with a manual box, and are looking for a new engine right?...It won't change anything, and it does not matter if the engine you buy was from an auto car or a manual car...the engine is identical...

So are they being sold with a gearbox though? If you get a deal an buy one with an auto, you could easily sell it I would bet...The complication is when you try to convert a automatic car into a manual...that is tougher, and lots of wiring, ECU differences, and clearance issues come into play...But if all you are doing is buying an engine, and all you need is an engine...it does not matter what is bolted onto it if you have the manual gearbox to attatch to it...and then put in your MSP...

The little metal plate that goes between the engine and the tranny is different for the Auto and Manual. The only difference is how the starter bolts and you can use the Auto plate on a manual tranny...you just loose one bolt hole for the starter so it's held on by 2 bolts instead of 3.

no if iirc its a diffrent size... i attempted the swap and the costs were just to high for it to be worth it. I suggest if you want a 5spd to clean your protege trade it in and buy a 5 speed. If you can afford two at once then buy one swap aftermarket parts over and stock onto your old pro and sell it privately.

Installshield 2 said:
Ah never heard of that...good eye...Is it able to be drilled to support a third bolt?

You should be able to drill it or just get a new one from the dealer.

...SenorCorwin...

I feel stongly, being that he owns an MSP, that his car is a manual to begin with...he wants to know the difference for the engine only between the auto and manual models...

MSP's were never auto...his sig says he owns an MSP, hence its manual...he wants to build up a seperate engine for it, but didn't know if the engine in auto cars where different from manual cars...thats all...I hope I am getting this right...

I don't think he is trying to convert an automatic car into a manual or vice versa...but if so, you are right...its a pain in the ass...

Last edited:
ahh misread... the engines are totally the same and if hes just using a shortblock it wont be anything diffrent (ie electronics and so forth.) if its a long or dressed he could prob easily sell the stuff he doesnt need. my bad.. carry on.

no dude its cool...a lot replied with what you are saying...I was starting to think I was confused, thats all...but yeah being that he owns an MSP...I truely hope he is not trying to swap it to an auto...that would suck...

yeah thats right, I have an MSP I want to do a rebuild with another engine I may buy off of eBay, I've bought an eBay engine before that said manual and it runs good.

But for some reason the engines on eBay that say they are auto are cheaper then the engines on eBay that say they are manual.

No I dont want an automatic MSP, I just want to do an engine build but still ahve a running car for the time being. If there really is no difference in the shortblock, I can save myself a couple hundred bucks.

Back