Automatic Transmission fluid??????????? S

catchme31

Automatic Transmission fluid??????????? S

Hey everyone, my 2002 protege5 is coming close to 30,000-mile service, and I had few question regarding the service. The sport-tronic transmission needs to be flushed, and how do I do that. I have searched the forum and have gotten lost with different methods used. As a result, what is the easiest way to change the tranny oil, with out causing major chaos? Also, please remember that I an amateur with car stuff. Finally, what type of tranny oil should I usewhether synthetic or regular.

Thank You
Sm

I could tell you, but I don't know if the automatic tranny plug is in the same spot as the manual

Your trans takes dexron atf fluid. http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94623 is how to do the flush which would pretty much be a 100% fluid change. My work place charges 129.99 for the flush which I think is a rip off. That how-to is very well written and anyone could do it. You could always do a drain and fill but I heard that only changes about 25% of all the trans fluid. If you're just going to drain and fill, 3 quarts should be more than enough.

Oh yeah to check the level of the fluid you need to cycle through the gears from 1-2-D-R or whatever for about 20 seconds each and check the fluid in park while the car is running on a level surface.

catchme31 said:
Hey everyone, my 2002 protege5 is coming close to 30,000-mile service, and I had few question regarding the service. The sport-tronic transmission needs to be flushed, and how do I do that. I have searched the forum and have gotten lost with different methods used. As a result, what is the easiest way to change the tranny oil, with out causing major chaos? Also, please remember that I an amateur with car stuff. Finally, what type of tranny oil should I usewhether synthetic or regular.

Thank You
Sm

If you can do your own oil changes, you can do a transmission fluid change. There is a drain plug at the bottom, similar to the motor oil pan, and you fill the fluid back from the tranny dip stick opening (need a long funnel)

But like others have said, draining and refilling does not change all the transmission fluid. You could bring it to a shop to get it flushed. Or if you have the time, you can change it a few times within a short period of time to get most of the old stuff out.

Flush is 200% better than a change. The fluid gets heated and pumped through a filter for like 30 Min, then it's changed...

Mad Hatter said:
Hands down the easiest way! Anybody could do it. Take the money you save by doing it yourself and get a really good synthetic, like amsoil, or redline.

Doing a drain and fill will leave about 5 qts in the torque converter making the change pointless. Even doing it multiple times, you'll never get a complete switch of fluid.

Hence.. FLUSH THAT s***.

Totally, it cool as well, if you are lucky the filter they use is in a clear plastic dome. You can si there and actually watch it go brown within the first min...

Back