Help! Disappearing oil!

turbopower34

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
I recently installed an injen CAI and FMIC, and i just checked my oil today and noticed that i was 2 quarts short. Now before the install, I never had any problems with oil disapearing from the car. Before you guys all decide that it's a leak, let me reassure you that I have not found any oil under my car. I was told that it might be the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) and since I have a new CAI, it might be drawing out too much oil. Has anyone else had this problem? I have searched and found one member has also had the problem but the thread just kinda ended w/o a diagnosis of the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Oh, btw, I use mobil one and it's been 3,000 miles since my last oil change.

umm not too sure, but since it's been 3000 miles, change your oil and possibly ask to check for a leak ?

Hmm...doesn't make sense. If it was leaking, you'd damn well know where 2 qts. went. Are you burning any oil?

Actually thats within the factory limits... which are 1 quart every 1kmiles.

BlkZoomZoom said:
Actually thats within the factory limits... which are 1 quart every 1kmiles.
That would make sense if it has always been like that. But before the install, I never had the problem. I've driven over 10,000 miles w/o this problem. I couldn't pinpoint exactly when this started to happen, but its pretty recent, right after my cai and fmic install.

my car shoved out every ounce of oil it had within itself over a 1400 mile period from the last oil change... and spun a bearing. Id check you turbo for blow by, and take it to the stealership without your mods on it if you can.

Matthew said:
so what, one thread per quart of oil lost is needed for this?

its just my way of getting out my anger. I find it therapeutic. Sorry if its annoying you. All things considered, there are tons of other worthless posts in this forum that need complaints besides mine. At least mine was on topic, and shared relevant information. (shrug)

it could be your CAI. CAI's tend to pick up more dirt from the road and contaminate the oil, there for the oil is being broken down and burned up. I know from experience, this has happend to me before and too other friends cars.
if you want to keep the CAI you could try switching to a heaver weight such as 10w30 or 10w40. if you still burn up the oil you could also try switching to non-synthic.

t3ase said:
We're about to end that.
LOL. Yes, beginning Monday, thread requests will need to be made, in writing, to the mods. Upon review by a board of directors, requests will be approved or denied depending on the relavancy of the basis of the thread request. Said request, upon board approval, will then be sent to the administrator. The administrator can then either pass the request, or veto it. Upon passing, the thread request will then arrive on the forum as an official thread. Thank you for your cooperation.

Torco-MSP said:
it could be your CAI. CAI's tend to pick up more dirt from the road and contaminate the oil, there for the oil is being broken down and burned up. I know from experience, this has happend to me before and too other friends cars.
if you want to keep the CAI you could try switching to a heaver weight such as 10w30 or 10w40. if you still burn up the oil you could also try switching to non-synthic.

Actually I have always found that CAI's when installed properly work very well to keep everything clean.

lol @ MSpfreak

installed properly! its still going to pick up more dirt outside then if it was located inside the engine bay.

Torco-MSP said:

Switching to 10w30 is fine, but if you are running Synthetic now, DO NOT switch back to dino oil. Once you switch you CANNOT go back.

Hey my car seems to have the same problem or (maybe were just crazy.) But Im going to add some oil tomorrow. What kind does it take ...just regular 5w30 ?? It probably says in the manual huh...or on the engine somewhere. Just thought I would ask while Im on here.

KyRaceFan said:
Switching to 10w30 is fine, but if you are running Synthetic now, DO NOT switch back to dino oil. Once you switch you CANNOT go back.

LOL, yes you can. that's an old myth from like 15 years ago. Get with the times.

JohnnyB said:
Hey my car seems to have the same problem or (maybe were just crazy.) But Im going to add some oil tomorrow. What kind does it take ...just regular 5w30 ?? It probably says in the manual huh...or on the engine somewhere. Just thought I would ask while Im on here.

regular 5w30... and yes its in the manual.

Back