Replacement trunk lock

iluvmacs

:
2003 Protege ES
So I screwed up my trunk lock, and the key won't turn it. Don't ask how I did it.

Does anyone know of any other way (other than taking it to the dealer and paying out the @$$ to match it to your key) to replace a lock?

I'm going to take it apart and see if i can fix it, but I don't expect to have much luck.

Thanks.

whoa, you use the key locks?

I've gotten so used to using the keyless entry that I can't remember the last time I actually stuck a key in my doors!

anyway, I think the dealer might be your best bet :( , I'd say the junk yard, but you'd have to retool the entire car and get the key for the locks (if they even have it), big pain in the ass...

iluvmacs said:
Yeah, I figured.

Is keyless entry for the trunk standard on the 5s?

For the 5s, the hatch has a lock that is triggered together with the doors, so if you press the unlock button, the hatch is unlocked as well. And the hatch works just like a door (that's why they call it 5 doors), it does not pop open until you pull on the lever.

The sedan is different. There is no lever on the trunk, so you need the key to open it or pull the trunk release inside the car, unless you wire in an aftermarket trunk release. But then popping the trunk everytime you open the door is kinda silly. You will probably want to get an aftermarket alarm that has an extra channel on the remote so you can control the trunk independently.

Last edited:
Here's what I did:

I took out the lock, 5 minutes, easy.
Taking apart the lock is a bit tougher, but if you have the key in, a few minutes and you'll have the lock assembly out of the cylinder.

The first (most outside) spring was damaged, and the gate would not move. Think of a gate as a square with a hole that sticks out of the cylinder, preventing it from turning. When the key presses against the hole it moves down, and now longer sticks out of the cylinder.

Since one of the gates was broken, I removed it. The second gate was sticky, but a little lube fixed it.

Now, my key works, but if someone was going to pick my lock, they'd have 1 less gate to pick (out of 12 I believe). I'm pretty confident that it's not a major security flaw.

Back