Switch my shifter....

bigj884

:
Mazda Protege 5
just curious but is it possible to switch the style of the automatic shifters.....i have an automatic...just plain automatic no sporttronic thing.....so i was wondering if you can change the shift "knob" like you can on a manual.....if so anyone got any pics of there rides with it done?

also was there alot involved in changing it or was it simple......and where did you get it?? website link would be appreciated...

post pics if anyone has any...

you can go to canadian tire or wherever you americans go and get any kind of automatic shifter knob.
i changed the one on my honda, was just 2 set screws in the bottom.
i dont know if the automatic has the "T" type or an actual knob.
i changed the knob on my sport auto, old one screwed off, new one used 3 set screws and a plastic sheath.

I tried changing. However, there is a white plastic rod underneath the shifter that's kind of long. So, you would have to sand it down a bit. But, I am hesitating, because I'm pretty sure I will change car within 1-2 years and I'm not sure if I can switch back the stock shifter on it if I sanded the thing.

bump.....got a question for those that have done this.....

i was trying to paint the interior this weekend and took the shifter plate off with cupholders.....and went to reomvie the little automatic piece thats silver.....took the screws out....pulled up in the big as shifter thingy....and it would not budge from the knob.......i tried twisting turning and pulling and got no where.......

i need to paint this piece.....it looks retarded cuzz its silver and the rest of the interior is red....

pictures would help alot

thanks!!!

If I am not mistaken, you still have your overdrive wire connected to it, that's why you can't remove the shifter.

Just cut the wire that is holding you and retape it with electric tape and you're done.

CUT it? I hope not, there must be a way to do it without causing damage, check the service manuals!

Actually, I'm a bit confused, what piece are you trying to remove? The trim around the regular auto (no sportshift), should just come out by pulling on the cup holders. At least that is how my 2002 p5 does it! (you might have to pull up on the ebrake a bit to wiggle it out)
The opening gets around the shifter 'arm' or whatever you want to call it...

Last edited:
no im talking about the piece thats wrapped around the shifter.....

i took the shift plate off....the piece that comes off when u pull on cup holders......and that came off fine.....

im referring to the piece that when the shift plate is off....its still wrapped around the shifter......the piece that has P-R-N-D-2-1 on it

picks of what im talking about when come if noone can help me out....

ok, I understand what piece you want now
did you check the service manuals?

Found it:
Here

Last edited:
here is a picture of the piece i wanna remove.....and a pic of what it looks like not painted...with the rest of the stuff painted....

Attachments

• 017_17_0002.JPG
    017_17_0002.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 689
  • 002_02.JPG
    002_02.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 691
OD switch

You have to remove the 2 screws and pull hard, this will break your OD wires away from the knob. Buy a toggle switch and wire it up. You can install the switch on the shifter plate or just hide it under. I have pics in here, just search for "auto set-up". It will tell you how to cut the shifter etc.. But I found only 2 knobs work good, the momo and ichiban with modification.

Back