Last Cell Phone ?

Matthew

Contributor
:
CX9, CX5, i8
Ok, so i got my MPx200 in today, and for someone like me, this phone kicks ******* ass.

whoever said the display sucks is on crack or has a 600 dollar phone or something.

i havent found a thing about this phone i dislike YET.

so anyhow, im about to buy a 1GB card for it - problem is, i cant decide which. i know that both of the links should work but im not understanding the difference between the two:

http://www.ms4me.com/oem1ssedicar.html

http://www.ms4me.com/oem1mucar.html

and if you need info on my phone to help tell me why i should get either, here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Motorola_MPx200/4507-6452_7-30586620.html

is one better than another or something though? i think the phone says it takes either, and they are the SAME price, so i figured id see if someone knew the difference. i tried to google it, but lo and behold i got a bunch of ads trying to sell me the cards.

It's like the difference between Sony's "MemoryStick" and their "MemoryStick Pro".
Some older hardware is only compatible with SD(or vise versa).

I just got a RCA K@zoo MP3 player that takes both SD and MMC... no problems at all.

i only wish there was a damn ext antenna for this thing. damn ATT in this small town is terrible, but once i leave this area and go to work or pretty much anywhere, this phone is a dream.

i've had an mpx200 for the last almost year and i don't like it. it doesn't operate on 900mhz, only 1800 and 1900, and most of the older, small town networks are 900 still. so a lot of the time i get no reception, in cities it's ok but outside of them it's no good. the battery life also sucks. you have to charge it pretty much every night, especially if you make phone calls with it. since day 1 mine will last 2 days without being charged, that's it. i'm now getting an error saying that my battery needs to be replaced or recharged according to the manual every once in a while even when it says the battery is fully charged, so i think the battery itself is dying. i also don't like how you can only have wav or midi rings, no mp3, and how there's no bluetooth, only infrared

the pda-like features of it are cool though, and being able to connect via usb is sweet, but overall as a phone i'd say i'm disappointed. as soon as my contract is up i'm getting a different phone. i'm actually trying to find my receipt to see if i purchased the extended warranty through best buy to see if i can return it due to my battery dying after like 9 months, or at least get the battery replaced. my external display is also messed up sometimes.

a good smartphone/mpx200 resource: http://www.mpx200.org/forums/index.php?act=idx

jred321 said:
i've had an mpx200 for the last almost year and i don't like it. it doesn't operate on 900mhz, only 1800 and 1900, and most of the older, small town networks are 900 still. so a lot of the time i get no reception, in cities it's ok but outside of them it's no good. the battery life also sucks. you have to charge it pretty much every night, especially if you make phone calls with it. since day 1 mine will last 2 days without being charged, that's it. i'm now getting an error saying that my battery needs to be replaced or recharged according to the manual every once in a while even when it says the battery is fully charged, so i think the battery itself is dying. i also don't like how you can only have wav or midi rings, no mp3, and how there's no bluetooth, only infrared

the pda-like features of it are cool though, and being able to connect via usb is sweet, but overall as a phone i'd say i'm disappointed. as soon as my contract is up i'm getting a different phone. i'm actually trying to find my receipt to see if i purchased the extended warranty through best buy to see if i can return it due to my battery dying after like 9 months, or at least get the battery replaced. my external display is also messed up sometimes.

a good smartphone/mpx200 resource: http://www.mpx200.org/forums/index.php?act=idx

Are u in US? If yes, then I think you've got the frequencies wrong. US uses 950 and 1900. Europe and Asia uses 900 and 1800. The first GSM networks in US are mostly 1900 and they are now moving towards the 950.

1) i always charge my phone every night out of habit, no worries for me
2) dont need or want bluetooth
3) its simple to convert the mp3 to a wav file for ringtones...keep decent quality and small size

i checked it out everywhere else the damn thing has excellant reception. plus its got the mp3 player of course and pda functions. and its a flip phone. i dont think its really the phone, so much as the provider. i had a samsung x426 which was 850/1900 or whatever, and its reception here sucked too.

i wonder when they will start converting the country to mainly 1800

Douggie said:
Are u in US? If yes, then I think you've got the frequencies wrong. US uses 950 and 1900. Europe and Asia uses 900 and 1800. The first GSM networks in US are mostly 1900 and they are now moving towards the 950.

i think you are thinking of 850, not 950, and thats the older freqency.

Douggie said:
whatever the case may be, mine only works on 1800 and 1900 as denoted by the numbers underneath my battery. since the old networks aren't that, it sucks for a lot of places other phones get good reception

Matthew said:
i think you are thinking of 850, not 950, and thats the older freqency.

Yes, sorry, it's 850. But I don't think it's older. I remember the first GSM phones from T-mo (actually started with voicestream) are Triband (900, 1800 and 1900), like the Sony Ericsson T610. Then they had US versions of Triband (850, 1800 and 1900), like the Sony Ericsson T616 and now they are having phones that are quad band (850, 900, 1800 and 1900), like the Motorola V600.

Last edited:
Matthew said:
1) i always charge my phone every night out of habit, no worries for me
2) dont need or want bluetooth
3) its simple to convert the mp3 to a wav file for ringtones...keep decent quality and small size

i checked it out everywhere else the damn thing has excellant reception. plus its got the mp3 player of course and pda functions. and its a flip phone. i dont think its really the phone, so much as the provider. i had a samsung x426 which was 850/1900 or whatever, and its reception here sucked too.

i wonder when they will start converting the country to mainly 1800
i charge my phone every night too, but the other night, for example, i forgot i left it on the table. the next day after the gym, when the phone had been off the charger for maybe 30 hours, it was totally dead, and i think i made 1 phone call the entire time. that sucks. plus there are the times when you go somewhere for the night and the charger doesn't come with you, or if you go into the backwoods somewhere so the phone is constantly searching for a signal and the battery goes by real quick

converting an mp3 to a wav makes the file pretty big. if you have an SD card it's not a big deal, but i don't so i've only got the, what, 10mb onboard memory, so that doesn't really work for me. i just have a bunch of midi rings now.

when i was in manhattan for the few months i was living there i had no problems with reception unless i was either in an elevator, underground, or sometimes in the middle of buildings away from windows. but since i don't live there all the time and have to drive a lot in not super populated areas it kinda sucks. my brother has the same provider (at&t/cingular) and his nokia phone will get good reception in a lot of places i get either very little or none

MMC or MultiMediaCard is the older version of the SD or SecureDigital card.

SD should be faster than MMC.. and probably cheaper too since most devices switched to SD once it came out...

LZ
Z

ok so looking around i found that most of cingular's network was 850 and most of AT&T's was 1900. the problem though is that the phone isn't dual mode, so it only works on GSM and not TDMA.

i'm also considering upgrading the operating system to 2003 instead of 2002, but i'm worried i'd break my phone

Back